Bulldogs’ best 17: Pressure on Lachlan Lewis and Jeremy Marshall-King gets his moment

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a couple of promising signings and surging form in the backend of last season, the Bulldogs are well and truly rebuilding towards brighter days.

Winning five of their last six games of 2019, the surprise package Bulldogs might just find themselves playing finals footy in 2020 if they can hit form earlier in the season.

It won’t come easy though. Key playmaker Kieran Foran could miss the entire season with a shoulder injury, leaving the inexperienced Lachlan Lewis to call the shots with either rookie Brandon Wakeham or Jack Cogger.

Patience will be tested as a new halves combination hopes to gel, but take the experience of Josh Jackson, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Will Hopoate, Aiden Tolman and throw in the ever-improving Reimis Smith, Corey Harawira-Naera, Jeremy Marshall-King — with a dash of Lachlan Lewis and Adam Elliott’s passion — and coach Dean Pay has got himself a side that could really compete this year.

The strength

As always Josh Jackson will be the key to a successful season for the Bulldogs. The captain takes his role seriously, leading by example in every game. He is the heart and soul of the club and the man that coach Dean Pay can always depend on.

A lot more is expected of the Bulldogs this year and with still a relatively young squad around him, Jackson’s big game experience will be crucial should they make the finals.

His work ethic doesn’t go unnoticed and even in the team’s disappointing performances over the last few seasons Jackson continued to deliver.

The pressure is on

Lachlan Lewis. The 23-year-old will be the foundation in the halves while Kieran Foran is out injured.

It’s a big step for Lewis who spent some time in Canterbury Cup last season and it won’t be any easier if he does link up with rookie Brandon Wakeham who only has three NRL games under his belt.

There’s no denying his passion and game-changing defence – it’s things like his kicking game that will be really put to the test.

This year will be the perfect opportunity for Lewis to stamp his place in first grade once and for all if he can rise to the challenge.

The rising star

Although he already has 13 NRL appearances to his name, Renouf To’omaga is due for a huge year.

The 24-year-old embodies exactly what the Bulldogs look for in a forward. He’s tough, gritty, reliable and standing at 190cm and weighing 110kg, he has the makings to be a superstar.

After dominating Canterbury Cup last season, he was selected in the NSW Residents team. His efforts didn’t go unnoticed by Pay either and To’omaga played in the final nine NRL games of 2019.

If he can build on last year’s form and lock down a regular spot in the starting 17, 2020 will be a career-defining year.

The unlucky ones

Marcelo Montoya and Jack Cogger. Both young and both with plenty of potential to push their way back into the 17.

Montoya made his NRL debut for the Bulldogs in 2017 and went onto win the club’s Rookie of the Year award. Last season was tumultuous for the 23-year-old. He was dropped early on but recalled seven weeks later and began to find his groove again until he was injured in Round 18, missing the remainder of the season.

Having played majority of his NRL career on the wing, he’ll keep the pressure on Nick Meaney and Jayden Okunbor who both probably still haven’t cemented their positions just yet.

Cogger was trialled and tested last season and although he showed promising signs, young gun Brandon Wakeham will most likely get the nod over him. Just like Montoya, Cogger will be waiting in the wings should Wakeham – or Lewis – not deliver.

It’s a big year for

Jeremy Marshall-King. For the last two seasons he’s battled with Michael Lichaa for the No. 9 jersey and at times found himself playing five-eighth. However now that Lichaa has left the club Marshall-King will get first shot at starting hooker.

The club has committed to the 24-year-old by extending his contract until the end of 202. It’s a well-deserved result for the quiet achiever who really found form in the back end of last season, earning him the club’s 2019 Coaches Award.

Marshall-King can’t get too comfortable though, new recruit Sione Katoa will be itching to make an impact at his new club and will most likely secure a spot on the bench, keeping the pressure on Marshall-King to perform.

Bulldogs’ best 17

1. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak

2. Nick Meaney

3. Will Hopoate

4. Reimis Smith

5. Jayden Okunbor

6. Brandon Wakeham

7. Lachlan Lewis

8. Aiden Tolman

9. Jeremy Marshall-King

10. Dylan Napa

11. Joe Stimson

12. Josh Jackson

13. Adam Elliott

14. Sione Katoa

15. Corey Harawira-Naera

16. Raymond Faitala-Mariner

17. Renouf To’omaga

Darcie Mcdonald on foxsports

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
1. Montoya not unlucky..... LUCKY TO HAVE A CONTRACT IN THE FIRST PLACE

2. Renouf = Love him, always have

3. Glad Jackson is staying. Has real heart and soul but we probably need a Captain who can be like Cam Smith. As much as I hate Smith, he got a lot of 50/50 calls from the ref

4. Just added it as I hate ending on an odd number

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I suppose at least we still have competition in the halves, even with Foran out. And all 3 youngsters have potential, they aren't lost causes at half like Mbye was

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
1. Montoya not unlucky..... LUCKY TO HAVE A CONTRACT IN THE FIRST PLACE

2. Renouf = Love him, always have

3. Glad Jackson is staying. Has real heart and soul but we probably need a Captain who can be like Cam Smith. As much as I hate Smith, he got a lot of 50/50 calls from the ref

4. Just added it as I hate ending on an odd number
I'm a Renouf fan time to go to the next level

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
JMK - will have a massive year, it’s his chance to shine an take the 9 an make it his only, and I think he will do that. It’s exciting as he has a lot of promise an potential..!!

Monty - meh

Renouf - he’s the goods, will have a big year also.

Lewis - let’s hope the swap with the fox happens, if not he will just have to prove he’s got what it takes..!!

Katoa - I cant wait to see what he has to offer, he’s not a bad prospect at all..!!

Jacko an all the kiwi connections dwz,CHN an co we all know will carv up.!!

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put elliot back to bench with Jacko to lock and CHN to the edge and we're good to go

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree with most of this article. Pretty much what a lot have been saying. And honestly probably the best 17 bar Elliot in my opinion. CHN is not a bench player, throw him in the backrow starting with Stimson/JJ to lock.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Their best 17 lacks props off the bench. Unless rfm will play as a middle forward/prop. But still will lack size and line bending ability.

Also don’t see how CHN doesn’t get a start. After his recall was one of the best we had. 3 very good backrowers in stimson, jacko and CHN, a worker in Elliot, and a rocks or diamonds player in rfm. I’d almost have Ogden on the bench for another big body.

Not sure where that leaves Britt, elliot, Smith, who are all more or less Same same. Also not fully sold on RFM yet. Had a cracking first year when he came over. Injuries limited him in the next 2 years. But seems to lack the heart to put in defensively late in the games. I wouldn’t be so sure he gets a bench spot.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
RFM is the bomb, hoping wakeham settles in to the season quickly and lives up to his potential no need to comment on jj. I hope jmk doesn’t get bludgeoned to death on here and Napa needs to lift or fuck off for mine

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
RFM is the bomb, hoping wakeham settles in to the season quickly and lives up to his potential no need to comment on jj. I hope jmk doesn’t get bludgeoned to death on here and Napa needs to lift or fuck off for mine
I'll 100% chat shit when JMK ignores his support and goes himself lol.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not a bad article. This will be Lewis' third year. It really is a make or break year for him. Defence alone isn't really enough, kicking needs to improve massively. I'm not fussed if he's part of the player swap with JAC.

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a bad article. This will be Lewis' third year. It really is a make or break year for him. Defence alone isn't really enough, kicking needs to improve massively. I'm not fussed if he's part of the player swap with JAC.
He’s still only played about 24 games. 9 times out of 10 he kicks it on a dime.

He has a few wayward passes and off the side of the boot kicks, which even Thurston still did, he needs to get them out of his game, I think he’s going to be a very half.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Elliot should be of the bench and it’s his last year before contract is up he better have his best year.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we were to get a little lucky prior to kick off, this doesn’t look too bad....

DWZ
JAC
Smith
Hopoate
Meaney
Lewis
Wakeham
Thompson
JMK
Napa
Jackson
CHN
Stimpson

——————

Katoa
Cogger
Okunbor (can cover wing, 2nd row)
To’omaga
RFM
Tolman
Elliot
Harper
Ogden
Smith
Britt

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
this has to be lachan lewis year to show what he can do, he has to stand up lead the team around, or he falls into the category of a never was never will be half and its bye bye lewis, hes is into his 3rd year hes had long enough to prove himself

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I would do the player swap, cause your getting an origin player, over a player who you have yet to really see take that next step up. Give lewis to Melb, and we take JAC