Kennel Muso's

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Yep. I'll openly admit that Lars' 100 piece Tama kits are what got me on to Tama. I had a Pearl kit before it and I think I prefer Tama.
Bloody oath. The bloke cops some shit but he still kicked some arse on the early albums. His set-up on the Damaged Justice tour looked amazing. Love watching Lombardo on the vids as well.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
share your story sir
Ok
It's a hot, very hot summer night back before Christmas in 1988.

Possibly 89,

I'm a bit sketchy on the year.

It was very late and every one in the house was asleep.

It was hot as hell and I couldn't sleep

I was about 11 or 12 at the time.
I was into music. At that point in time I'd only really knew top 40 stuff

I was into inxs, the kick album
Bon Jovi slippery when wet album
Terrance Trent Darby

That kind of thing.

I was your topical kid at that time
Mostly into skateboards and riding my bmx and playing sports.

Anyway, back to the story,
I couldn't sleep, so I got up snuck out to the lounge room and put the tv on.
Lol I still remember the late night sex phone ads haha, one got my attention lol.

Anyway, MTV was on
Special edition
Guns n roses live at the Ritz was on.

I'd never seen anything like it before

Like bon jovi was like heavy metal to me haha.

I instantly loved what I was watching and hit record on the vhs player.
I taped over what ever was in the player haha.

Anyway I was instantly drawn to Slash.
Big hair, killer guitar sound, No shirt, smoking big hat,
I just thought he was cool as hell.

Anyway, that night I decided I wanted to be like him and learn guitar.

Lucky for me, my dad was into electronics and use to make guitar amps.
Up in the shed were old amps he had made, all by hand.

He had an old guitar that he used to test the amps with,

So I grabbed the biggest amp I could find in the shed, and grabbed the guitar.

Dad changed a few valves in the amp cleaned up a few knobs and I was on my way.

Since that day I have been playing guitar

Since that day I have wanted a gibson les Paul still don't have it.

Since that day I have wanted to be a rock star,
I'm still not haha.

But I love guitar and everything about it.

It's a real passion

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Was a bit of a drummer back in the day. Had a nice set up, but just used to jam out to music and with a few of the boys (for fun) nothing to serious..!!

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Cheers. Those are the ones I was looking at.
I'd get one if I was in the market for a new acoustic
I played one at my music store and loved how it felt
For the price it played great.

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I have wanted a gibson les Paul my entire life.
Never had a spare $5k to get one.
One day I will get it I hope
You and me both mate. I was over the moon when i got it... litwrally went to bed with it the forst night i got it. Dude am praying to the Rock and Roll God's that you are able to get one one day

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You and me both mate. I was over the moon when i got it... litwrally went to bed with it the forst night i got it. Dude am praying to the Rock and Roll God's that you are able to get one one day
Cheers mate,
I hope I get one also.
Tell me about yours
What model, colour

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Played hot cross buns on the recorder in primary school, that's about as far as I made it.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Play a bit of guitar (Gretsch), bass and drums. Try to sing mainly, few punk and hardcore bands over the last 12 years.

Trying to learn synths, and try writing some 80's style Goth/New Wave.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Played hot cross buns on the recorder in primary school, that's about as far as I made it.
The good ol' recorder, an ingenious instrument that no matter how good someone could play it, it still sounded like shit!

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Had a couple of 90's Tama kits over the years. Got Roland v-drums for practice. I recently sold the Tamas and bought a Sonor kit, thought Id treat myself. I have entry level Yamaha bass's, couple of squires Ive rewired with better pickups/electronics. Have a bunch of other instruments, mandolin etc. Im not really good at any of them, I just love sound. Probably ok on drums, played a couple of gigs years ago.
These days I like building music gear. Guitar pedals, the never ending modular synth build, just starting to build guitar amps.

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Killer song that one. I think AC/DC did a version of it when they were in Brisbane last.

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Cheers mate,
I hope I get one also.
Tell me about yours
What model, colour
Is the Les Paul Standard in Cherry Red. I took the humbucker covers off cause I liked the look with black pick-up but I interchange. My wife tells me that the standard in Cherry Red was a limited edition. Says she paid just over $5000 for it. Am a very spoilt boy that's for sure!!

That being said you can still get a base model Les Paul for around $1300 which is still better then most other guitars on the market. Just don't go for an Epiphone Les Paul... They just don't compare

Last edited:

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
i play guitar hero with my nephews does that count as a muso instrument and band?

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Envious of you all who have musical talent.

My grandfather was a band master in an army band and could play anything.

Never rubbed off, took banjo lessons and we even had a pianola at home.

Have owned a few cheap acoustic guitars, could only ever master the intro to dazed and confused.

I do play a mean air guitar and air drum though.

Fear the Roo, don't be scared give it a go even if your just jamming in a garage at home with a few others, I'm sure it would bring a smile to your face and improve yours kills.

Finally, there was one girl who this one time at band camp.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I started off playing the guitar when I was around 14 years old when I bought my first nylon string acoustic. (which still have today that my son likes to play with). In saying that I never had lessons or learnt to read music. I used to get hold of guitar tabs and learn songs that way. I practised pretty regularly until prob my early to mid 20's and then didnt play much. I have now forgotten more than I know. I have a Jackson Stealth, a Takamine Dreadnought steel string acoustic plus my original nylon string acoustic. I have recently thought about getting another electric and actually getting some proper guitar lessons.

Then those awesome guitar hero / rock band games came out with the drum kits. No one else wanted to play drums so i used to do it. I then found that pretty quickly I could get through the majority of songs on Expert which made me more interested in drums.

At the age of 30 I bought my first drum kit and have pretty much focused mainly on drumming since then.

I now practise every day on my electric as soon as i get home from work and before the kids get home. I actually have a whole bunch of songs that have had the drums removed so i can play along. And I dont mean someone has used a program to 'dim' the drums, the drum track is not actually there at all. Someone pulled individual instrument tracks from the songs from guitar hero and re joined them minus the drum track. These are on my iphone so I plug it into the aux in on my leccy so i can play along.

My father is actually a really good guitarist. One of those people who can listen to a song, know what chords they are and learn that way. Unfortunately I didnt inherit this skill.

Back in the day his band used to open for Sherbet

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
For anyone thats interested, there are a couple of sites that are good for online collaboration. Can be fun whether your just a bedroom muso or professional. If your more into mainstream styles, Kompoz is ok and suited to real instruments and traditional styles like rock, country, folk, metal etc. Theres many other genres aswell. Vocalist are always in demand. Mixing and mastering too. Most active members are older and there for the love of music not promotion. A bunch even had a meet up in Sweden one year which looked like fun. Indaba music had alot of electronica/newer genres last I looked which was years ago and was heavily geared towards promotion. There are other sites, just need to investigate for what suits your musical endeavors. Not for everyone. Im not affiliated with any sites, just had good experiences in the past when living in the sticks.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I started off playing the guitar when I was around 14 years old when I bought my first nylon string acoustic. (which still have today that my son likes to play with). In saying that I never had lessons or learnt to read music. I used to get hold of guitar tabs and learn songs that way. I practised pretty regularly until prob my early to mid 20's and then didnt play much. I have now forgotten more than I know. I have a Jackson Stealth, a Takamine Dreadnought steel string acoustic plus my original nylon string acoustic. I have recently thought about getting another electric and actually getting some proper guitar lessons.

Then those awesome guitar hero / rock band games came out with the drum kits. No one else wanted to play drums so i used to do it. I then found that pretty quickly I could get through the majority of songs on Expert which made me more interested in drums.

At the age of 30 I bought my first drum kit and have pretty much focused mainly on drumming since then.

I now practise every day on my electric as soon as i get home from work and before the kids get home. I actually have a whole bunch of songs that have had the drums removed so i can play along. And I dont mean someone has used a program to 'dim' the drums, the drum track is not actually there at all. Someone pulled individual instrument tracks from the songs from guitar hero and re joined them minus the drum track. These are on my iphone so I plug it into the aux in on my leccy so i can play along.

My father is actually a really good guitarist. One of those people who can listen to a song, know what chords they are and learn that way. Unfortunately I didnt inherit this skill.

Back in the day his band used to open for Sherbet
I need to clear some shit outta my music room and start practicing again. Its like Cambodia in there, cant even get to the digital kit. I use to practice daily like yourself and haven't for ages. Setting myself a goal of cleaning up in there this weekend so I can get back into it.