Bush Fires

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeh sadly they say more than half of all fires are purposely lit or accidentally lit by doing stuff like throwing ciggie butts out car windows. The climate may make the fires worse, but the dickheads lighting them are the bigger issue.
Is it true a 70 something old man lit a big bbq or something and it started a massive bush fire?

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Is it true a 70 something old man lit a big bbq or something and it started a massive bush fire?
There was an idiot in my area that just got booked for starting a fire. He was using a grinder during the fire ban and the sparks caused set the grass on fire.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think the main issue i have with climate change advocates, is not that they believe the climate changing is causing trouble, its that they dont have any realistic solutions or timeframes to execute them. I am all for the government putting more money into alternate/cleaner fuel research, but outside that, what else is realistic?

-Carbon taxes do nothing positive. All they do is make goods more expensive to produce and makes imports from places like China more attractive as they are cheaper. And there is no way China look like doing anything to reduce their massive carbon production.

-Removing mines in Australia is a ridiculous idea. It would put tens or hundreds of thousands of people out of work, since mining is our largest export, which would flow on to all other businesses as there is less money to spend around. It could make us a 3rd world country.

-Timeframe. Most of them want us to stop mining and using fossil fuels RIGHT NOW. Apparently the world will die SOON if we dont. Ok so we stop mining fossil fuels. Then what do we use for power? Can the country afford enough solar or wind powered power stations to service everybody, considering how much it costs? And if they could, could it be installed quickly? No, not at this time. And again it would put the cost of producing anything up, making imports more attractive, making us poorer.

We would only end up importing the things we stop mining anyway, because we need them. Or are people happy to live without power? There is no way we can afford the more climate friendly alternatives right now, on a large scale.

And everyone using electric cars is unrealistic too currently. And a fools contribution to helping the environment. This is because electric cars need to be charged to work. Where do people think the power comes from the charge the cars?

In time and with more research we may be able to afford to do things like only use friendly fuels, but this cannot happen overnight, which is how fast some expect it. Most climate protestors ive seen have the problem, but no realistic solutions. But they expect the government to magically have these solutions, and they want it yesterday.
I'll address a couple of things here:

China. It's a common complaint. "why should we do anything while China pollute so much". Kind of a good point. China have some of the highest CO2 emissions but there's important things to note about China

1) China has invested more money in renewable technologies than any other country in the world

2) China has some of the most advanced renewable technology including more renewable energy storage tech than all other countries combined

3) While China emits more than most other countries, they have a lower amount of emissions per person than most other countries. The old argument of "China should reduce their emissions" is basically saying, "China should put themselves further into poverty so I can run my aircon for longer"

Carbon Tax
. While I don't think Labor handled this great, there has been a large amount of research into carbon tax which has shown that it always reduces CO2 output. From a ln economic standpoint is actually considered one of the more effective ways of reducing CO2. The beauty of it is that it hits all levels. Energy companies increase costs to compensate for the tax then consumers reduce usage to protect from it. I'm anti-tax and I can admit when a tax works well.

Removing mines. Yes. This is a problem that many alarmists gloss over. We still need mines. Coking coal is required for the building oglf renewables.

Electric Vehicles. Yes. Another problem that's often ignore. Research into EVs has found that while they do help the environment, scrapping your existing car for an EV is actually worse for the environment and they're not much better overall due to us running on fossil fuel based energy grid. That's before I get started with the slave labour mining problems related with the cobalt and minimum supply of lithium

The whole thing has been handled badly. Most scientific organisations support the use of nuclear power for states that cna handle it, with renewables as backup. The Greens and others are against this. While the Liberals and others are against nuclear because it takes away from the major Australian money maker. Coal.

And that raises the other issue of the eocnomy. Fortunately there has been independent reviews which have come up with methods to replace coal as our primary export. The main being using renewables to create hydrogen/ammonium exports. But the technology still needs some work.

Any which way, coal will soon bottom out in price and if we're not prepared to handle it then our market is going to crash hard.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thats my biggest issue, there is no silver bullet out there to fix everything. Alot of the advocates, particularly the younger ones seem to see everything in black and white, thats not the reality unfortunately.

Im happy to hear any suggestions on REALISTIC things we can do to help that wont cripple the economy.
Yeah, it's a problem. As I posted above. There's still no 100% ideal solution. Nuclear is the best option (less CO2 than renewables) but it takes a lot of time and money to set up. No one system is ideal for every area.

Problem is that while we're the LNP is working so hard to protect coal as our national interest, support for coal is dropping globally and prices are dropping globally. Whether we like it or not, we need a new economic solution before coal bottoms out.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
What does everyone think of this meme/image?

Perhaps slightly simplistic, but it does speak to the fact that many people are erroneously attributing these entire events completely to climate change. Good for political point scoring, but very mistaken and unscientific.

View attachment 12517
I think it leads to a misunderstanding of what climate change is and what kind of impact we have on it.

As I pointed out many times already, no one is saying that climate change starts fires. That's a myth. But climate change is believed to make fires worse. How much? Not really sure. It's certainly not the sole cause of it though. Climate change is only ever part of the equation.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Teen accused of lighting fire laughs after court appearance
A teenager co-accused of lighting a grass fire after allegedly setting off fireworks at a western Sydney park laughed outside court and filmed reporters on his mobile phone.

Joanne Vella, Parramatta Advertiser
Subscriber only
|
January 7, 2020 1:41pm

Fadi Zraika smiles while the media questioned him outside court on Tuesday. Picture: John Appleyard
Western Sydney teen Fadi Zraika — one of the two teens accused of lighting a grass fire at a Guildford park while bushfires ravaged NSW — laughed outside court today after appearing on multiple charges.

Police allege Fadi and Abraham Zreika, both 18, set off fireworks that sparked a grass fire at Bright Park, Guildford, on December 22.

Abraham Zreika leaves Parramatta Local Court today. Picture: John Appleyard

Abraham Zreika was also charged with having a knife in a public place. Picture: John Appleyard
Police were called to the park about 2.40pm after reports of several loud explosions and saw fireworks exploding and several small grassfires that spread rapidly in sudden winds.

The Rural Fire Service doused the fires.

Zraika, of Villawood, and Zreika, of Merrylands, were arrested at a fast food restaurant in Merrylands.

Zreika was charged with negligent handling of explosives, passenger not disclose driver’s identity, and custody of a knife in a public place.

Lawyer Dennis Stewart and Abraham Zreika outside Parramatta Local Court. Picture: John Appleyard
Zraika was charged with negligently handling explosives to cause damage and for failing to disclose the identity of a driver.

They did not enter pleas for the string of offences.

Fadi Zraika laughs off questions from reporters. Picture: John Appleyard

Fadi Zraika got out his phone to film the media. Picture: John Appleyard
At Parramatta Local Court today when Magistrate Tim Keady asked Zraika what his response to the allegations were, he said he preferred to wait for his lawyer, who was on holiday.

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Your current 7 day forecast during severe weather season, watch Sky News Weather. For more

Bright Park at Guildford. Picture: Supplied
When asked outside court the pleas they expected to enter, Zreika’s barrister Dennis Stewart said the courts would deal with the matter before adding: “He’s 18 years of age, leave him alone.’’

His co-accused, Zraika, laughed when approached by the media before filming reporters with his mobile phone.

The matter will return to Parramatta Local Court on January 21.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You already saw them. You pharisee. Stop conveniently ignoring what you see.
Nope. You shared articles that didn't say that climate change started the fires, then you admitted that they didn't say that, then you wanted me to guess that's what they mean. Even in the articles that clearly stated the role climate change played.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's like me sharing a chapter of the bible and saying, "why do you believe that God is an alien? It's what the bible suggests"

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
IThe whole thing has been handled badly. Most scientific organisations support the use of nuclear power for states that cna handle it, with renewables as backup. The Greens and others are against this. While the Liberals and others are against nuclear because it takes away from the major Australian money maker.
If the proposition is to replace coal with Nuclear I would support it 100%.

We have some of the biggest (if not the biggest?) deposits of uranium in the world. We have one of the biggest countries by land mass in the world and therefore plenty of space to deal with the nuclear waste. Nuclear power would also help us to achieve a massive reduction in emissions.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If the proposition is to replace coal with Nuclear I would support it 100%.

We have some of the biggest (if not the biggest?) deposits of uranium in the world. We have one of the biggest countries by land mass in the world and therefore plenty of space to deal with the nuclear waste. Nuclear power would also help us to achieve a massive reduction in emissions.
Agreed. Nuclear doesn't work everywhere. Modern reactors can be built to withstand virtually anything, but building a cheap reactor in a poverty country that lives on a fault line... Never going to work.

As Australians though, we have all the right stuff to be the lead in nuclear power. But all of government is against it.

We have other sources of power we don't tap. The thermal vents in South Australia could run South Australia easily but they don't utilise them because there's a drive for renewables there.

We're a country that puts politics ahead of logic.

If it came to me I would push for nuclear first with thermal where it works better, with renewables to power hydrogen units and convert for ammonia exports. Within 10 years we could make coal a redundant export before it bottoms out.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Coming from you that is priceless lol
Never said I haven't engaged in verbals in the past (though I don't do it any more than you or others on your side of the issue). I just said I am trying not to engage because a thread on this same subject just got torched due to name calling and mods have asked us to try to restrain ourselves a bit.

Good talk though.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
A teenager co-accused of lighting a grass fire after allegedly setting off fireworks at a western Sydney park laughed outside court and filmed reporters on his mobile phone.

Subscriber only
|

Fadi Zraika smiles while the media questioned him outside court on Tuesday. Picture: John Appleyard
Western Sydney teen Fadi Zraika — one of the two teens accused of lighting a grass fire at a Guildford park while bushfires ravaged NSW — laughed outside court today after appearing on multiple charges.

Police allege Fadi and Abraham Zreika, both 18, set off fireworks that sparked a grass fire at Bright Park, Guildford, on December 22.

Abraham Zreika was also charged with having a knife in a public place. Picture: John Appleyard
Police were called to the park about 2.40pm after reports of several loud explosions and saw fireworks exploding and several small grassfires that spread rapidly in sudden winds.

Zraika, of Villawood, and Zreika, of Merrylands, were arrested at a fast food restaurant in Merrylands.

Zreika was charged with negligent handling of explosives, passenger not disclose driver’s identity, and custody of a knife in a public place.

Lawyer Dennis Stewart and Abraham Zreika outside Parramatta Local Court. Picture: John Appleyard
Zraika was charged with negligently handling explosives to cause damage and for failing to disclose the identity of a driver.

At Parramatta Local Court today when Magistrate Tim Keady asked Zraika what his response to the allegations were, he said he preferred to wait for his lawyer, who was on holiday.

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Your current 7 day forecast during severe weather season, watch Sky News Weather. For more

When asked outside court the pleas they expected to enter, Zreika’s barrister Dennis Stewart said the courts would deal with the matter before adding: “He’s 18 years of age, leave him alone.’’

His co-accused, Zraika, laughed when approached by the media before filming reporters with his mobile phone.

Parents must be proud.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Never said I haven't engaged in verbals in the past (though I don't do it any more than you or others on your side of the issue). I just said I am trying not to engage because a thread on this same subject just got torched due to name calling and mods have asked us to try to restrain ourselves a bit.

Good talk though.
yeah enough said

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score

Subscriber only
|

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Where is this kids Dad?

If this was my son, he wouldn't be walking the next morning.

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Subscriber only
|

FROM OUR PARTNERS

dumbcunts

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't get me started on Jo Nova. The amount of junk her and Jennifer Morahasy put out.

You know that Jo Nova started her blog because she was told that her research was massively flawed, so she started her blog saying that all the scientific community had a conspiracy against her.
Are you a hippie?