News RHINOS LEGEND ROB BURROW DIAGNOSED WITH MOTOR NEURONE DISEASE

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leeds Rhinos legend Rob Burrow has announced that he has recently been diagnosed with motor neurone disease (MND).

Burrow, 37, retired from playing at the end of the 2017 season, his final game seeing him winning his eighth Super League Grand Final. He is the club’s Reserve team Head Coach having led the Rhinos Academy team for the past two seasons.

The father of three played his entire career at Leeds Rhinos, making 492 appearances for the club following his debut in 2001, placing him in fifth in the club’s all-time list of career appearances. He scored 196 tries for a total of 1,103 points. He was capped 15 times by England and played five more tests for Great Britain including a Man of the Series performance in 2007 for the national side. He is a two-time winner of the Harry Sunderland Award as Man of the Match in the 2007 and 2011 Grand Final. He won the Challenge Cup in 2014 and 2015 as well as three World Club Challenges and three League Leaders Shields.

Commenting on the announcement, Burrow said, “Regrettably, today I am confirming that I have been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease. I would like to thank everyone for the support I have received already since being given my diagnosis. I know I have a big challenge in front of me but knowing that I have the love and support of so many people will give me inspiration and strength. I am very positive about the situation and intend to battle the condition as I still feel fit and well.

“I would like to ask for privacy at this time so I can adjust to the battle I have ahead and so that I can spend time with those closest to me ahead of Christmas and New Year.”

Leeds Rhinos Director of Rugby Kevin Sinfield commented on his friend, saying, “This has been devastating news and heart breaking for Rob and his young family. The thoughts of everyone at Leeds Rhinos and, I am sure, throughout the Rugby League family is with Rob and his wife Lindsey. Throughout his career, Rob overcame the odds to become a legend of the game and I know he will tackle this challenge with the exact same positive determination.

“As a club, Rob will receive our full support and we will be working with him to chart the way forward. I would like to thank Doddie Weir for taking time out recently to meet with Rob and talk about his own personal experiences with MND. The news has been a massive shock and I know it will be similar for his many former team mates, friends and fans in the game. We will be developing ways we can best support Rob and his family in the future over the next few weeks and will be hoping to announce plans as soon as possible in the New Year. In the meantime, I would ask you all to keep Rob and his family in your thoughts over the Festive period,” added Sinfield.

I no this news from super league but this is sad news I watched him play for Leeds when the games where on tv he always played well above his weight always put in thoughts with him and his family in this hard time

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It’s a horrible disease and he’s so young. Very sad

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Leeds Rhinos legend Rob Burrow has announced that he has recently been diagnosed with motor neurone disease (MND).

Burrow, 37, retired from playing at the end of the 2017 season, his final game seeing him winning his eighth Super League Grand Final. He is the club’s Reserve team Head Coach having led the Rhinos Academy team for the past two seasons.

The father of three played his entire career at Leeds Rhinos, making 492 appearances for the club following his debut in 2001, placing him in fifth in the club’s all-time list of career appearances. He scored 196 tries for a total of 1,103 points. He was capped 15 times by England and played five more tests for Great Britain including a Man of the Series performance in 2007 for the national side. He is a two-time winner of the Harry Sunderland Award as Man of the Match in the 2007 and 2011 Grand Final. He won the Challenge Cup in 2014 and 2015 as well as three World Club Challenges and three League Leaders Shields.

Commenting on the announcement, Burrow said, “Regrettably, today I am confirming that I have been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease. I would like to thank everyone for the support I have received already since being given my diagnosis. I know I have a big challenge in front of me but knowing that I have the love and support of so many people will give me inspiration and strength. I am very positive about the situation and intend to battle the condition as I still feel fit and well.

“I would like to ask for privacy at this time so I can adjust to the battle I have ahead and so that I can spend time with those closest to me ahead of Christmas and New Year.”

Leeds Rhinos Director of Rugby Kevin Sinfield commented on his friend, saying, “This has been devastating news and heart breaking for Rob and his young family. The thoughts of everyone at Leeds Rhinos and, I am sure, throughout the Rugby League family is with Rob and his wife Lindsey. Throughout his career, Rob overcame the odds to become a legend of the game and I know he will tackle this challenge with the exact same positive determination.

“As a club, Rob will receive our full support and we will be working with him to chart the way forward. I would like to thank Doddie Weir for taking time out recently to meet with Rob and talk about his own personal experiences with MND. The news has been a massive shock and I know it will be similar for his many former team mates, friends and fans in the game. We will be developing ways we can best support Rob and his family in the future over the next few weeks and will be hoping to announce plans as soon as possible in the New Year. In the meantime, I would ask you all to keep Rob and his family in your thoughts over the Festive period,” added Sinfield.

I no this news from super league but this is sad news I watched him play for Leeds when the games where on tv he always played well above his weight always put in thoughts with him and his family in this hard time
Poor little bugger, I feel for him and his family and pray he can beat it or at the very least prolong a good quality of life! Was a great halfback in his day, and very humble like his stature, no doubt his heart will shine through this terrible affliction! God bless Rob.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Fucking sad as... The interview I saw of him really highlighted how great a mate and a leader Kevin Sinfield us. Burrow is lucky to have someone like him in his corner

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fucking sad as... The interview I saw of him really highlighted how great a mate and a leader Kevin Sinfield us. Burrow is lucky to have someone like him in his corner
Yer I seen that interview it must have been so hard for him to sit there and do the interview and no doubt just as hard for Sinfield playing with him his hole career and one of his best mates it was hard to watch such a sad thing for him and his young family to deal with I seen they have raised more then 50,000 pounds already in less then 24 hours no doubt the rugby league family will dig deep and help him through the tough times

Last edited:

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Such sad news. Enjoyed watching him play in the ESL. Tough as nails a real competitor. He is going to need every bit of that grit and determination whilst battling this insidious disease which as we all know is a death sentence.

I remember Scotty Gale had the same disease and it took him at the age of 39 and I remember Drs saying that he lived past the age they expected him to attain. He was ill with it for quite a while. Was in a wheelchair for quite a while too. His sister Tarsha Gale is the one that that particular comp is named after.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Worse disease known to man kind. Poor bugger, hope it attacks slowly for his sake.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Worse disease known to man kind. Poor bugger, hope it attacks slowly for his sake.
I hope it doesn't

It's hard for everyone, watching a loved one slowly die.

It's even harder for the person with MND.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Didn't understand this disease at all. Have started reading about it since the news surfaced... and fuck me what a putrid **** of a disease it is. Would hate to have to see someone go through this.

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All diseases are shit but this ones a real motherfucker.
Sad news

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Never wish that on anyone,not even your worst enemy :neutral: life is cruel. All the best too him an family at this sad dad time.!!

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob Burrow and Kevin Sinfield will play together one last time alongside Jamie Jones-Buchanan and Jamie Peacock this weekend!

They're set to step out in the closing stages of Leeds Rhinos' game with Bradford Bulls RLFC on Sunday.

He is going to play one last time on the weekend it's shows the signs how tough he is