Jai Arrow on target to become Wayne Bennett’s early Christmas present

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fair enough. I don't think the Titans are a very good example though.....they are paying a bloke 1 million a year who has trouble even breaking into 1st grade. When you add players like Peats on 650K and Cartwright on God knows how much, then you start to see where the problem lies. The reason they couldn't offer Arrow more money is that they are paying ridiculous money for non-performing players. How did they ever think Taylor was worth a million a year FFS? He had achieved nothing whatsoever at that stage and suddenly the Titans are throwing money at him. Seems to me most of their problems are self inflicted. They are a total basket case and the franchise should be wound up and shifted somewhere else imo.
The Titans' situation regarding Taylor is a hard one. They either offer him 1m or he goes to the Broncos (or another club) for like 700k. Almost the same as the Arrow situation just they're not giving him the big $. Whatever they do they'll get rekt as there is no reason to stay at the Titans unless it's 99% for money. At least we can retain our players for "what they're worth", I think?

Tazer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The Titans' situation regarding Taylor is a hard one. They either offer him 1m or he goes to the Broncos (or another club) for like 700k. Almost the same as the Arrow situation just they're not giving him the big $. Whatever they do they'll get rekt as there is no reason to stay at the Titans unless it's 99% for money. At least we can retain our players for "what they're worth", I think?
I think the moral of the story is, if you are going to throw that type of cash around at least make sure the guy you are throwing it at has some runs on the board. They did try with DCE I guess but that turned out badly as we all know. They were on the right track though. I still can't comprehend what they were thinking with Taylor. Outside of a few great plays in 1 or 2 NRL games he had literally done nothing on a consistent basis for the side. No semi final football, no rep games and there they were basically mortgaging their future on a totally unknown quantity. That's the definition of stupid.......you can't really expect other sides to hold off on pinching their few good players because they feel sorry for them. I reckon the Tits have 2 years to get it right or the NRL will wind them up.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least the Titans board isn’t running our club.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The NRL actually said that they would alter the way contract values would be applied. It hasn't happened, but they were saying that no club would get away with offering unders and topping up an offer with TPA's. But it would directly cause grief for their four glory clubs so it's only been lip service.

As far as it goes the fact that a few clubs can supposedly pay unders has caused a situation where clubs like the Titans have had to gamble on potential with big money offers. We took a similar gamble on Mbye to the Titans gamble on Taylor.

I get a bit closer to switching off from this crooked competition every year. Losing fans is a bridge that the NRL can't afford to burn. But the current heads of the game just don't give a crap.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The NRL actually said that they would alter the way contract values would be applied. It hasn't happened, but they were saying that no club would get away with offering unders and topping up an offer with TPA's. But it would directly cause grief for their four glory clubs so it's only been lip service.

As far as it goes the fact that a few clubs can supposedly pay unders has caused a situation where clubs like the Titans have had to gamble on potential with big money offers. We took a similar gamble on Mbye to the Titans gamble on Taylor.

I get a bit closer to switching off from this crooked competition every year. Losing fans is a bridge that the NRL can't afford to burn. But the current heads of the game just don't give a crap.
We always had a lot of sponsors previously and some heavy hitters supporting us theoretically we can do the same thing once we are back on track..

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score

The Bulldogs are the only thing keeping me from walking away from the NRL. Sadly as each year passes I lose more faith in the game. I've been supporting the Bulldogs for 30 odd years and invested my heart and soul into them all that time and will continue to. I wish someone could take over the NRL and salvage this once great and enjoyable game.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We always had a lot of sponsors previously and some heavy hitters supporting us theoretically we can do the same thing once we are back on track..
I think it's still very hard for any club to get on track again when you have to compete for signatures against clubs like the NRL's glory teams who seem to have the ability to sign whoever they chase and the support of the media and the NRL when they make signings that are on the nose with regards to how they fit under the salary cap. I'm hopeful that we have the right staff in place now to make astute signings to get our football going well again which in turn will lead to us securing sponsorships more easily. I know these days a club has to be a marketing brand as well as a team sport.

The Bulldogs are the only thing keeping me from walking away from the NRL. Sadly as each year passes I lose more faith in the game. I've been supporting the Bulldogs for 30 odd years and invested my heart and soul into them all that time and will continue to. I wish someone could take over the NRL and salvage this once great and enjoyable game.
I know exactly where you are at with this point of view. It's hard to have much faith in a system that seems broken and corrupted. There's very little hope it will repair itself. The people who seem to be running the game for their own benefit right now don't seem to care that it's taken multiple generations to get the level of support to where it is. If loyal fans are forced to give up their support of the game in most cases they burn that bridge and won't be back. I wish there was a simple solution. It just doesn't seem possible that things are going to change in the near future.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think it's still very hard for any club to get on track again when you have to compete for signatures against clubs like the NRL's glory teams who seem to have the ability to sign whoever they chase and the support of the media and the NRL when they make signings that are on the nose with regards to how they fit under the salary cap. I'm hopeful that we have the right staff in place now to make astute signings to get our football going well again which in turn will lead to us securing sponsorships more easily. I know these days a club has to be a marketing brand as well as a team sport..
it won’t be easy I fully agree but there was a time when we attracted top talent and made good decisions discreetly .. (DWZ reminded me of this) it starts at the grass roots but we still need to bolster the squad with some quality established talent .. hopefully somebody is on the cards to fill the last spot for 2020.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Souths have just announced his signing a 4 year deal

Tazer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
They will have very little depth in the forwards next year if they don't sign someone else. They've lost George and Sam Burgess plus Sutton and haven't replaced any of them . Should have a great backline though.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
For a player who has proven very little, there is a lot of talk about him.

Tonight i saw Kevin Proctor talking about him. Now there is a man who struggles to string a sentence together.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
For a player who has proven very little, there is a lot of talk about him.

Tonight i saw Kevin Proctor talking about him. Now there is a man who struggles to string a sentence together.
Must be all those nose beers.