ScoMo's Holiday Outrage

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It al started with Labour trying to blame the government for cutting funding
Not blame, fact.

Figures in black and white.

Check the State budgets and you will see the figures are correct.

https://www.crikey.com.au/2019/11/15/nsw-fire-service-budget-cuts/

NEW SOUTH WALES
Running the numbers on the NSW fire service budget cuts
The head of the NSW Rural Fire Service has taken issue with some inconvenient truths aired by Crikey. Let's step through the data.

AMBER SCHULTZ

NOV 15, 2019

NSW RURAL FIRE SERVICE COMMISSIONER SHANE FITZSIMMONS (IMAGE: AAP/JOEL CARRETT)
On Monday, Crikey wrote that the NSW fire service’s budget has been slashed since last year. To put it lightly, Rural Fire Service Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons disagrees.

“It is rubbish, it is misinformation, it’s being misrepresented and I think it’s being disgracefully misrepresented here today in these sorts of circumstances,” he said in a press conference.

Fitzsimmons added the organisation was “enjoying record budgets”, without really explaining how.

So, who was right?

If now isn’t the ‘right time’ to ‘talk about’ climate change, when on earth is?
Read more >
In our initial analysis, we only took into account the expenses budget. Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) lost $12.9 million in expenses between 2018-19 and 2019-20, while the Office of NSW Rural Fire Services (NSW RFS) lost $26.7 million in expenses.

The $12.9 million cut to FRNSW stirred heated debates in parliament, with politicians understandably concerned about reduced firefighting capabilities.

If we take into account both expenses and capital expenditure, the difference between the last two budgets is even greater — $41.4 million for for FRNSW and $76.6 million for NSW RFS.

That’s a total of $118 million.

In August this year, member for Holsworthy Melanie Gibbons said in NSW parliament that “the government is investing a whopping $1.7 billion in emergency services”, and pointed to “$826 million in Fire and Rescue NSW alone”.

But this is still a decrease from the $867.6 million FRNSW received in 18-19.

The office of the NSW State Emergency Service (SES) did see an increase of $33.2 million in 19-20, but SES volunteers don’t attend fire jobs.

Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Office of the NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS)
2018-2019 budget (revised)
Expenses $787.2m $551m
Capital expenditure $80.4m $66.3m
Total $867.6m $617.3m
2019-20 budget
Expenses $774.3m $524.3m
Capital expenditure $51.9m $16.4m
Total $826.2m $540.7m
DIFFERENCE –$41.4m –$76.6m
Spokespeople for FRNSW said a $28.5 million drop in the 19-20 capital budget was mainly due to one-off funding in 18-19 for programs, aerial appliances and training props, totalling $34.4 million.

The change in expenses was explained as a boost of $34.6 million in insurance in 18-19 after presumptive legislation was passed to compensate firefighters who develop specific cancers. The figure was higher in 18-19 to cover retrospective claims, and was then reduced in 19-20 based on revised estimates.

Likewise, a spokesperson for the NSW RFS said there wasn’t a decrease in the 19-20 budget, but rather a one-off increase in the 18-19 budget thanks to $23.8 million for a training centre in Dubbo, a $26.3 million air tanker, and $21.5 million for a new headquarters in Homebush. That still leaves $5 million unaccounted for.

But these “one-off” boosts are far from uncommon. FRNSW has previously received $23 million for a new headquarters in Greenacre, along with $16.5 million new fire stations and station upgrades, $16.8 million for firefighting vehicles, and $5 million for training props.

NSW RFS also received “one-offs” for air tanker trials and fire stations throughout 15-16/16-17.

The takeaway? FRN NSW is not currently enjoying “record budgets”. The budget bounce happened last year. One-off investments dropped in 19-20, leaving a $118 million hole in the budget at a time when the services need it most.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its only a fact in some peoples thoughts not for many others and no I didn't vote for him but far out hes the PM and he doesn't run every department in the government
He is in charge of every department in the government.

That is why he is Prime Minister. All ministers answer to him. He is the ultimate boss of the Government.

Do you not understand how these structures work? Would you like me to type slower so you can understand?

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Guys if you can’t have a discussion without name calling, putting people down etc then I will close this thread.

Keep it civil please
I suggest you close it because when the NBN is being compared to the bushfires, the plot has been lost.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
With the facts that have come to light. It is now clear Scomo is out of his depth.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Whos idea was the NBN? told it was a bad idea before it was started and told it would be outdated before it was finished but wanted to buy votes with it
Which version?

Labor had the original NBN idea. Their version was set for 100mb/s original speed with 1,000mb/s maximum speed. Then Liberals changed it to the neutered version (20mb/s - 100mb/s maximum speed)

Either way it was a lot of money wasted by both sides. The Labor version would have future proofed us for a little while. The LNP version will soon be redundant.

Both sides ignored the calls for 5G investment.

Downtowndog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Some of the problems we are seeing are the result of Australia being a Federation. Some powers do not reside with the Cth Govt under the Constitution, whereas others do. This causes complications about who can do what but this is not generally understood by most of the population.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Which version?

Labor had the original NBN idea. Their version was set for 100mb/s original speed with 1,000mb/s maximum speed. Then Liberals changed it to the neutered version (20mb/s - 100mb/s maximum speed)

Either way it was a lot of money wasted by both sides. The Labor version would have future proofed us for a little while. The LNP version will soon be redundant.

Both sides ignored the calls for 5G investment.
I get about 50mbs at home. A friend in Sngapore gets over 1000.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I get about 50mbs at home. A friend in Sngapore gets over 1000.
I had family over form Singapore recently and they asked if we still had dial up :tearsofjoy:

Sue

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be great to hear some positive statements about the fire fighting efforts instead of having to read all the knockers raving on about things that they know nothing about.!!!

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be great to hear some positive statements about the fire fighting efforts instead of having to read all the knockers raving on about things that they know nothing about.!!!
In a thread titled 'Scomos Holiday outrage' then probably not.

There is another tread for that.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Do you not understand how these structures work? Would you like me to type slower so you can understand?
I don't think the typing speed makes any difference because its just going to show up just the same on the screen

my recommendation to the kungfuman is to read it slower

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Whos idea was the NBN? told it was a bad idea before it was started and told it would be outdated before it was finished but wanted to buy votes with it
Asap Turnbull and Abbott turned it into an election fear campaign to please Murdoch and downgraded to copper from fibre then fibre to curb/node, well you can hardly blame Labor can you? Libs have run it for the past 7 years yet still Labors fault.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Absolutely right what is he otherwise complaing for because the PM was in Hawaii or the so called funding cuts I don't know!
So you admit he may not be a Labor voter?

He is not the only firie speaking out. There is a huge groundswell. When this is ended, then you're really going to hear about the outrage from these people once their service is done.

This is the full confrontation of the bloke's frustration and other members of the crew.

https://www.facebook.com/106088536418308/posts/1037544896605996/

Funny side note...his neice has put up a spoof video. I cant post it but it's in the comments section.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yes you did!
"Sorry I didn't associate your name with Horse. Don't make it worse by associating with Natboy

It was a legit enquiry I made above re welfare recipients/Labor and the NBN. I was genuinely interested in your opinion".
I did not associate your name with Horse "at this time", "with my reply above". Does that clarify it for you :grinning:

Previously I may have joined in with the conversation, amongst others, with the statements Horse comes up with that you also participated in apparently. We all do on here.

Sorry if my reply wound you up that much.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s an easy one isn’t it. So more jobs in renewables then? Less people using our welfare ?
Maybe, maybe not. If history has taught us anything there is an initial need for extra resources for any new technology but as time goes on that tech becomes more efficient and hence less need for resources (resources in this case includes humans).

The point is to have a population that it continuously adaptable, we're no longer in an age where we can expect to be on the same type of role our whole professional life.

And you guys being so fixated on "dole bludgers" what about those that have been subsidized and made obscene profits all the while polluting our environment? For example gina Reinhardt the actual bludger/leaner or how about clive Palmer who's now trying to get the libs to approve his new mine after palmer helped out the libs in the last election.

How much have they donated again to the RFS?

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Sorry I didn't associate your name with Horse. Don't make it worse by associating with Natboy

It was a legit enquiry I made above re welfare recipients/Labor and the NBN. I was genuinely interested in your opinion".
I did not associate your name with Horse "at this time", "with my reply above". Does that clarify it for you :grinning:

Previously I may have joined in with the conversation, amongst others, with the statements Horse comes up with that you also participated in apparently. We all do on here.

Yeah at the time I thought it was childish

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Evetyone get wound up now and then

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Blame her for what exactly?

Is she one of the arsonists?

For not being out on the field, fighting the fires with a garden hose?

What is it exactly she should of done, to keep you happy?

Please enlighten me
You wanna hammer the PM all day, why not the Premier for lack of drought land management policy.
The Aborigines wanna re introduce traditional ways to prevent this, they should be welcomed to have their say.
We are gunna learn from this travesty one way or another.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You wanna hammer the PM all day, why not the Premier for lack of drought land management policy.
The Aborigines wanna re introduce traditional ways to prevent this, they should be welcomed to have their say.
We are gunna learn from this travesty one way or another.
This is the other side of it.

The NSW gov, has cut the budget to the RFS & the Fire and Rescue Services. it has just been the fact that Scomos F@#K up have been so spectacular they have dominated.

Gladys and her mates have cut the budget, see the article I posted above. Figures are correct.

The NSW Emergency Services Minister david Elliot went on holidays to Europe around the same time as Scomo was in Hawaii.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...s/news-story/e6a930b664df39abcc05347864ec527f

But at least when he got back he put his hand up and said I F@#KED up, not make stupid excuses like Scomo.

Gladys has been there from the begining trying to lead, doing what she can. Her mistakes (like cutting the budget) will come out in the wash when this crisis is over. Those discussion are for another day when the danger has passed.

For now she is doing all she can.

Scomos inaction has effects now. It has cost properties and lives.