Movie Discussion

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
One of my favourite movies. Emily Browning (the lead actress) chose the music for the movie too.

She was pretty bloody good looking back then. Unfortunately she lost it and now looks pretty terrible (watch American Gods)

This is the movie that made me fall in love with Jamie Chung.
Zack Snyder is such a underrated director, and was further tarnished due to the cinematic release being highly edited by Warner bro’s. His extended edition made it go from 6/10 to an easy 8/10 and it is so great to still watch as it’s so different and dark compared to every other superhero movie. I’ve never watched sucker punch lol. But I fell in love with zack after 300. That movie when I saw it in the cinema literally made me feel shit I’ve never felt before

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Truth or Dare

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6772950/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A harmless game of Truth or Dare among friends turns deadly when someone -- or something -- begins to punish those who tell a lie or refuse the dare.

The problem with this movie is that it's so easy to see who the next person in line for the game is, and it becomes quite predictable. I've seen worse horror movies, but this one wasn't too far off the bottom.

5/10.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Obsessed

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1198138/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A successful asset manager, who has just received a huge promotion, is blissfully happy in his career and in his marriage. But when a temp worker starts stalking him, all the things he's worked so hard for are placed in jeopardy.

Not bad for what would be classified as a midday thriller nowadays. This is well before Idris Elba made a name for him. Hard to think that men today would be able to resist the charm of a hot blonde woman coming onto them at a Christmas party.

6/10.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Money Train

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113845/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A vengeful New York City transit cop decides to steal a trainload of subway fares. His foster brother, a fellow cop, tries to protect him.

This is a typical Good Cop Bad Cop movie. An action movie with plenty of witty lines thrown into the mix as well as a pre-surgical Jennifer Lopez make this one an instant classic set of Christmas and New Years Eve. I love this movie. I wouldn't mind @The_Chimpster's review of this one.

8½/10

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Money Train

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113845/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A vengeful New York City transit cop decides to steal a trainload of subway fares. His foster brother, a fellow cop, tries to protect him.

This is a typical Good Cop Bad Cop movie. An action movie with plenty of witty lines thrown into the mix as well as a pre-surgical Jennifer Lopez make this one an instant classic set of Christmas and New Years Eve. I love this movie. I wouldn't mind @The_Chimpster's review of this one.

8½/10
My last post on here for awhile, and a requested movie review is only fitting.

A very solid action/thriller and the second outing with Woody harrelson and Wesley pipes, (first being the underrated white men can't jump)
along with a solid support cast make it an above average flick. It bombed upon release, but has since rightfully gained somewhat of a cult status

3.5/5.

I'm out kennelers, see you all sometime in the new year

Wahesh

Reaction score
My last post on here for awhile, and a requested movie review is only fitting.

A very solid action/thriller and the second outing with Woody harrelson and Wesley pipes, (first being the underrated white men can't jump)
along with a solid support cast make it an above average flick. It bombed upon release, but has since rightfully gained somewhat of a cult status

3.5/5.

I'm out kennelers, see you all sometime in the new year
See you in the new year brother.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Vegas Vacation

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120434/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

In the fourth outing for the vacation franchise, the Griswolds have to survive Vegas fever when they go to Las Vegas for a fun family vacation.

This movie is quite hilarious in every way. In a nutshell, Clark gets addicted to gambling throughout the movie losing tens of thousands of dollars, and must find a way to get his family back home after he cashed-in their airline tickets, all while Ellen is seeing Wayne Newton, Rusty becomes a posse leader, and Audrey goes out dancing.

A funny flick, and while it's meant to be a family vacation movie of sorts, it's best to keep the kids far from the screen on this occasion.

8/10.

Last edited:

Wahesh

Reaction score
The Glass House

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0221218/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

An orphaned teenager is taken in by a Malibu couple but discovers they aren't the caring friends they seemed to be.

For the entire movie, you're just waiting for the action to kick in, but it never really develops. It's more of a creepy movie than a thriller. Daytime TV really.

4/10.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Kicking & Screaming

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384642/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Family man Phil Weston, a lifelong victim of his father's competitive nature, takes on the coaching duties of a kids' soccer team, and soon finds that he's also taking on his father's dysfunctional way of relating.

Not a really funny movie by Will Ferrell's standards, but ok. Lots of room for improvement.

5/10.

Wahesh

Reaction score
12 Strong

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1413492/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

12 Strong tells the story of the first Special Forces team deployed to Afghanistan after 9/11. Under the leadership of a new captain, the team must work with an Afghan warlord to take down the Taliban.

This movie was pretty darn good. It gives you an insight into just how bad things on the battlefield in Afghanistan were. It's the story of a joint mission between one wing of the Northern Alliance, and the first batch of American troops on the ground working together to take on the united Taliban and Al-Qaeda in order to restore authority in the city of Mazari-Sharif which is a Taliban strong hold.

Bloody brilliant movie.

9/10

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
unnamed.jpg

Forever alone in a crowd, failed comedian Arthur Fleck seeks connection as he walks the streets of Gotham City. Arthur wears two masks -- the one he paints for his day job as a clown, and the guise he projects in a futile attempt to feel like he's part of the world around him. Isolated, bullied and disregarded by society, Fleck begins a slow descent into madness as he transforms into the criminal mastermind known as the Joker.

First post of the year, and what do you know it's another movie review.

For a film that's been praised by some as the best of 2019, even last decade, for mine it failed to live up to the massive hype. Let's start with the good: the performances. Joaquin Pheonix was a revolution in the role, he couldn't have done anything more, I applaud him for sensational performance and I expected nothing less from an actor of his calibre. Frances Conroy again delivers another great performance, she plays a basket case very well. It's great to see De Niro turn up and actually try (I'm yet to see the Irishman but I haven't seen him give two shits about a role since Heat)
The ambiguous and open to interpretation take away was done quite well marking Arthur's "descent" into delusion and madness. Colour pallet and cinematography was impressive, creating an overall bleak setting. Score was very good too, hitting the emotional arc of each scene.
Now for the bad: the screenplay. It felt like bits were cobbled together here and there, it shouldn't have been a joker movie, had this been about a random guy with a range of mental issues and a commentary on society I think it would have worked much better, but that's life.

For its few faults, it still beats the hell out of all of that of that kiddy family friendly superhero shit that seems to get churned out every week, the world needs more comic movies like this imo

7.5/10

Wahesh

Reaction score
Criminal
The Invisible Guest
Inside Man
Jumanji: The Next Level

^ Reviews coming tomorrow...

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Criminal
The Invisible Guest
Inside Man
Jumanji: The Next Level

^ Reviews coming tomorrow...
Do you personally watch all these Wahesh? So many :grinning: you need your own show on SBS.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Do you personally watch all these Wahesh? So many :grinning: you need your own show on SBS.
I don’t watch them all everyday lol... I have Netflix and watch them every now and then and then post about them. I’m watching more now than usual because I’m on holidays from work... but back to work tomorrow so that’s all over lol.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
maxresdefault.jpg

Phil has a major dependency issue -- he's addicted to his cellphone. He has no friends and his love life is nonexistent. Forced to upgrade to a new phone, Phil soon learns that the latest model comes with Jexi -- an artificial intelligence life coach, virtual assistant and cheerleader. With its help, he begins to get a real life. But as he becomes less dependent on the phone, Jexi starts to morph into a tech nightmare that's determined to keep Phil all to itself.

I wasn't expecting much going into this, and I wasn't disappointed. Weak script, recycled fart jokes and ordinary acting, I think I chuckled once.
Attention Hollywood, please stop trying to turn Adam devine into a leading man, the guy makes the same stupid face and mannarisms in every role, which might have worked in workaholics but overall his schtik wears very thin, and doesn't have the charm or charisma to carry a movie. The only saving grace in this is Michael Pena but he doesn't have anywhere near enough screen time.

1/5

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
@PowerfulWhaman Have you seen Rise of Skywalker yet? Something happened at the end that I’m sure you noticed.. I did..and thought of you straight away!!

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Caught the new Star Wars today. Won't spoil it for anyone but I will just say that it's full of fan service. Ignore the bad reviews too. If you read them the main critique is that the Asian girl from the second film didn't get enough screen time.

Very enjoyable. Many will hate it but I honestly think it was better than epsidoes 1-3 and episodes 7 and 8.
Watched Rise of Skywalker today.. 5/10.. Style over substance..more like a TV movie..once again rehashed old story plots.. Had characters that were hard to empathise with to the point I couldn’t care what happened to them.. Clunky dialogue and exposition during the first act.. And one major question from the Force Awakens.. that was a key instigator in moving the story ahead remained unanswered..one I knew it would remain unanswered.. Plus other plot points either went nowhere or went unanswered.. I won’t list my concerns as I don’t wanna give any spoilers..

This is all no surprise as Abrams stated right at the beginning on the new trilogy that they had not mapped out the full story.. and it shows..

Now as a keen Star Wars fan I know Lucas had not ‘fully’ mapped out his ideas for the OT. however he had a basic idea..as evident by the backstory to the OT which he would later develop into Episode 1-3..

Rating 5/10 fast becoming 4

Last edited:

Wahesh

Reaction score
Secret in Their Eyes

upload_2020-1-5_20-27-41.jpeg

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1741273/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_21

A tight-knit team of rising investigators, along with their supervisor, are suddenly torn apart when they discover that one of their own teenage daughters has been brutally murdered.

This movie starts off with us thinking that the group team are after another murderer, and it's just another cop movie. That quickly changes as we realise that the murderer took the lives of one of the cops in the team who were originally investigating the murder. There's a lot of back and forth over a period of 13 years so we see some noticeable appearance differences between the characters in this movie, however the twist that we don't see coming at the end is amazing.

8/10

Last edited:

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
@PowerfulWhaman Have you seen Rise of Skywalker yet? Something happened at the end that I’m sure you noticed.. I did..and thought of you straight away!!
Not yet, Honestly the last Jedi destroyed Star Wars albeit force awakens did as well for me with the Mary Sue lead character. But now that you mention something happens at then end that made you think of me I may
Go give it a watch just to see what you’re talking about haha

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not yet, Honestly the last Jedi destroyed Star Wars albeit force awakens did as well for me with the Mary Sue lead character. But now that you mention something happens at then end that made you think of me I may
Go give it a watch just to see what you’re talking about haha
Gotta love those Mary Sue characters :tearsofjoy: