Never been so disinterested in an upcoming season

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some people seem to need instant gratification for next season. Its not going to happen.
The Club has taken the "steady as she goes" approach, and its the right way to deal with things.
The team at present is as competitive as most teams. We will win our share of games. The younger and newer players
will improve with Pays coaching. The only necessary ingredient is to have a greater intensity. It will happen
Top 4 is possible.
I like your positive outlook,the only downside for me,is our coaching set up,have any of our players improved under pays guidance?We need a fresh start,with all the new recruits,in from the start,Tolman on the bench,jmk on the bench,to start the season,I would like to see Isaiah Tass,jake averilo,get a start somewhere down the track,instead of the usual Holland and Montoya,who have had their chances and done nothing.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by nice signings? We're going to have a couple of million to spend and if they're players that're going to make a difference they're not going to come for the same reason marquee player's aren't. The only difference is they won't ask for as much in overs (just look at the previous players we've been linked with, Koroisau was a done deal?). If we're not going to pay overs at all then how are we going to compete in the market when as you've seen other clubs are willing to pay overs and they're also in a better position then us. Sure it's possible we pick up one to two rejects (similar to DWZ) before the 2021 season starts but that isn't going to equate to a couple of million (at least) in the cap. We're going to have to sign whoever is left without a club to fill our cap which will result in panic buys as we've let all of the top talent re-sign or move club by then (we don't have pick of the litter now, we're not even going to have pick of the litter with the little remaining before the 2021 season starts either). I personally don't see how we're going to fill the roster out (unless we front load contracts) with getting players "for a price that doesn't ruin your cap". The only positive I'll say is that a few extra players will be available due to them wanting out of their contract early (e.g. JAC, Arrow, a couple of players will pop up for the same reason, we still need to entice them to come).

I don't follow our juniors. How do they compare to other clubs? You're making it sound like they're the best juniors in the country. Do we have the next Haas or Fifita? The next Staggs to slot into our Centres would be nice.
By nice signings I mean genuine first grade quality players opposed to Origin and Test players on million dollar deals. I’m not getting into the overs debate with you ok it’s been done to death and you’re entitled to your opinion on that.

There’s 18 players contracted for 21 already there will probably be a few more re-signings and juniors promoted leaving room for 5 or so signings.

We would be very unlucky if we don’t get 2 or 3 junior players at the very least go on to be high quality first graders. We are loaded in the back row and have a gun centre but he’s a few years off I’d say. Then you have Wakeham and Averillo but seeing as they are already in the top 30 I’m not sure you’d call them juniors anymore. The thing is you never know how players will develop so there’s no guarantees with them we have hooker in Ryan Gray that played all the junior reps and looked like a rising star but hit a wall this year. Hopefully it’s only some growing pains and he comes back strong in 2020.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You need consistency to make a solid delevepment... DeVeLoPmEnT is a worry it can collapse, DEVELOPMENT is better, more solid..
You need players coming through end of story. Labelling us as a development club or whatever else is just an attempt to buy more time.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We could also have the best negotiators in the league but it doesn't mean anything in our current situation if we're not going to throw the checkbook at players (not saying we should for every player). With how we're expected to go this year as well it's most likely going to be the same after this season too.
I’ve shared this opinion for a while... unless you have a marque coach etc you will need to pay a little extra whilst you are rebuilding it’s just how it is. At this stage the board obviously hasn’t found anyone they are willing to pay top dollar for. As far as we know....

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You need players coming through end of story. Labelling us as a development club or whatever else is just an attempt to buy more time.
Thats what the club Lynne & Board have said they want us to be.. Development club..

I dont understand that much , as i still think we developed great players under Des and we wernt huge recruiters under Des either..

All clubs do development and the better ones are great at recruiting great players either bargain buys or superstars..

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Thats what the club Lynne & Board have said they want us to be.. Development club..

I dont understand that much , as i still think we developed great players under Des and we were hige recruiters under Des either..

All clubs do development and the better ones are great at recruiting great players either bargain buys or superstars..
This board has been doing it since they came in, everything that comes out of their mouth is just an attempt to buy more time and a lot of our fans are buying into it. What comes out from the club is completely irrelevant for me these days.

A development club doesn't even exist in League imo, a development club is more a football thing where clubs identify talented players, develop them and then sell them for a profit. They then get the reputation of being a good destination for players looking for a stepping stone to a better career and as a result there's a constant stream of players coming in at out. Everyone is happy.

For me this board has been very passive and afraid to commit to anything yet, instead we've re-signed the bulk of our squad and and extended players on short term deals. It's as if the club is just waiting for something to happen that will push them towards a certain direction.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This board has been doing it since they came in, everything that comes out of their mouth is just an attempt to buy more time and a lot of our fans are buying into it. What comes out from the club is completely irrelevant for me these days.

A development club doesn't even exist in League imo, a development club is more a football thing where clubs identify talented players, develop them and then sell them for a profit. They then get the reputation of being a good destination for players looking for a stepping stone to a better career and as a result there's a constant stream of players coming in at out. Everyone is happy.

For me this board has been very passive and afraid to commit to anything yet, instead we've re-signed the bulk of our squad and and extended players on short term deals. It's as if the club is just waiting for something to happen that will push them towards a certain direction.
aeb413447b94a17801ead2de83fb693f.jpg

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
this year is a write off next year's not much better either, all I can hope for is a bigger role in DickwittDogs next video

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There’s no marquees coming for 2020 and I doubt there’s any coming in 2021 either. I think the board and Pay were rather naive to talk so openly about signing stars for 2021 and I think they have found out the reality of the situation. You need the marquees available and wanting to come to the club then you have to get them for a price that doesn’t ruin your cap.

What they have done in the meantime with the juniors has put us in a very good position moving forward and we will make some nice signings for 2021 to compliment the juniors.
I really don’t think it was a smart move coming out and announcing that marquee players would be joining by 2021
Putting it down to being naive is not good enough especially for a professional club and management in general
Fans listen in and take their word as fact,know for whatever reasons this is not going to be the case
The way I see it this year & next we will be placing our hopes on some juniors stepping up and the squad as a whole to improve a fair bit
Then at the end of this year add several established first graders
Pay better have his house in order because this year will be a pivotal point in his career

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I really don’t think it was a smart move coming out and announcing that marquee players would be joining by 2021
Putting it down to being naive is not good enough especially for a professional club and management in general
Fans listen in and take their word as fact,know for whatever reasons this is not going to be the case
The way I see it this year & next we will be placing our hopes on some juniors stepping up and the squad as a whole to improve a fair bit
Then at the end of this year add several established first graders
Pay better have his house in order because this year will be a pivotal point in his career
Yeah that’s a fair call it was a dumb move and they have made a rod for their own back to some extent and definitely left themselves open for criticism if they don’t deliver on it.

They haven’t left themselves much margin for error if there’s not enough improvement in the current squad or the juniors don’t come along as we all hoped then it just adds more time in the wilderness.

The majority of fans have been patient and understand the process the club has been going through but there won’t be that same level of understanding if it goes belly up from here.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah that’s a fair call it was a dumb move and they have made a rod for their own back to some extent and definitely left themselves open for criticism if they don’t deliver on it.

They haven’t left themselves much margin for error if there’s not enough improvement in the current squad or the juniors don’t come along as we all hoped then it just adds more time in the wilderness.

The majority of fans have been patient and understand the process the club has been going through but there won’t be that same level of understanding if it goes belly up from here.
Totally agree it’s been approximately 5 years to get through this saga and to be honest our support base is fantastic
The membership numbers & roll up to the games is a real credit
At some point something has to give in regards to us being on the right path or not
From here on it’s fair game,it starts to work from the first kick or massive pressure will build from within

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was that directed at me? Just click on quote. I’ll be at all the games as usual with my membership card and if I’m away working I’ll catch it online
I’ve just given Foxtel the arse. Apart from Kayo, is there any other way to watch the games online?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I’ve just given Foxtel the arse. Apart from Kayo, is there any other way to watch the games online?
I actually meant overseas but pretty sure you can get free access if you’re with Telstra or I’m not sure what you pay to watch on the NRL app

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You call them panic buys?

Rushing in ?

Doesn't this prove they have had no targets or pipeline.

You would think they would have started planning from the time they told the world that we are entering the market place at 2021.wasn't that year 2018 right? ..they told everyone that would listen how bad the previous board was with the salary cap....so now it's their turn and they have Nothing!!
They have had 2 years ++ to plan an assault in the market place.....result zero to date
We could just rush in now and sign players any players that MIGHT fit (right/wrong position and/or right/wrong attitude). But they would be panic buys.

Personally I prefer the measured professional approach, taking our time, looking at who is available or might be available, at the right price and making sure that they fit what we need. Not just for 1 year but for multiple years, because we are the Bulldogs, the mighty mighty Bulldogs.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Good way of putting it :grinning:

but.....excuses, reasons why not, more excuses, more reasons why not, no DNA, they wouldn't come here of all clubs, more excuses, we have no money, we aren't good enough to play for, excuses, and not the right time to talk about it.

*grinning*
Spot on.

Incompetence breads incompetence.