Never been so disinterested in an upcoming season

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I can understand that opinion. The team will need a strong start to the season.

Anyone who thinks that the good end to last season automatically means a good 2020 only needs to go back a year.

End of 2018 was 5 from 6 wins, end of 2019 was 5 from 6 wins.

Not much has changed apart from 3 pretty ordinary signings.

My expectations are not high, will just keep watching and hope the team gives me something to be happy about through the year.
Very interesting reading some of the responses from some of the “Mods” to this thread then reading yours. You always reply to posters empathy and intelligence IMO.
I hope you have more input into this place in the future.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I've been disinterested for a few years now, not because of the Dogs, but because I know the nrlol are too corrupt and too uneducated.

The quality had been dropping every year and every season gets worse and worse.

I'll just pay attention to the Dogs games and fuck every other game. Even got rid of Foxtel.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's just a game. If we do well, great. If we don't, shit happens.
So we spend 10 million a year ,and hope for the best?,in life we set ourselves goals,like paying the car off,paying of the mortgage off,we do this to achieve something,sport is no different,as a Bulldogs supporter,I'm not used to mediocrity,

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The most money doesn't mean much either if you're not going to use it. The thing is we're going to have to use it (have to spend 95% of the cap) so how is the club going to use it? I think we're going to have to do something that some people would say is evil. The longer we leave it the less available as well (panic buys?).
We could just rush in now and sign players any players that MIGHT fit (right/wrong position and/or right/wrong attitude). But they would be panic buys.

Personally I prefer the measured professional approach, taking our time, looking at who is available or might be available, at the right price and making sure that they fit what we need. Not just for 1 year but for multiple years, because we are the Bulldogs, the mighty mighty Bulldogs.

Go Dogs

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have never felt this way about an upcoming season, it’s really sad tbh, cause there is nothing to look forward to. No new signings..... sigh
I was keenly looking forward to last season, then had my hopes dashed; and a taste of what could have been at the end.
It was rinse and repeat of the previous season; so I'm not expecting anything to get my hopes up for 2020.
I'd like to think that by the end of this season, if I look for highlights to replay, I'll find more than four games.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Like most years I've got high hopes. My expectations have dropped to match the reality we're in though. My expectations last year were for a few youngsters to bust a nut trying to establish themselves. If we identify a suitable skeleton of a team it's easier to handpick the final positions. It's seeming more obvious every year that referees will do their share of deciding how any particular game might play out though.
A "skeleton of a team" - I like that. So far we've had zombies.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I was keenly looking forward to last season, then had my hopes dashed; and a taste of what could have been at the end.
It was rinse and repeat of the previous season; so I'm not expecting anything to get my hopes up for 2020.
I'd like to think that by the end of this season, if I look for highlights to replay, I'll find more than four games.
Spot on. This is the issue. People think those 5-6 games are everything and miss the other 20.

2018 all over again.

This time it’s without a key piece in Foran all year really....

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Spot on. This is the issue. People think those 5-6 games are everything and miss the other 20.

2018 all over again.

This time it’s without a key piece in Foran all year really....
It sounds like there is no point even watching this season then. Thanks for the heads up

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I wouldn’t recommend that! You should watch the actual season, it Will help form an educated opinion, like the others pointing out 80% of a season offsets the 20% positive.

Like the year before.

I personally Won’t be foolish about dismissing 80% of a season of garbage.

For the record I fully intend too with great interest to see if there’s any signs of improvement finally somehow, because it’s not in the roster, perhaps Pay shows something, some kid explodes, every other teams riddled with injuries).

Last edited:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
You should watch the actual season (for the record I fully intend too with great interest to see if there’s any signs of improvement finally somehow, because it’s not in the roster, perhaps Pay shows something, some kid explodes, every other teams riddled with injuries).

Will help form an educated opinion, like the others pointing out 80% of a season offsets the 20% positive. Like the year before. Won’t be foolish about dismissing 80% of a season of garbage.
Was that directed at me? Just click on quote. I’ll be at all the games as usual with my membership card and if I’m away working I’ll catch it online

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yes the 80/20 rule...

And the cavalry is spruiking about the 20...
I wouldn’t recommend that! You should watch the actual season, it Will help form an educated opinion, like the others pointing out 80% of a season offsets the 20% positive.

Like the year before.

I personally Won’t be foolish about dismissing 80% of a season of garbage.

For the record I fully intend too with great interest to see if there’s any signs of improvement finally somehow, because it’s not in the roster, perhaps Pay shows something, some kid explodes, every other teams riddled with injuries).

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We can't do anything about the lack of signings for this year or next... All we can do is be optimistic that our young talent will be given plenty of run and that they'll stand out and make those positions their own..

That will negate the need to sign as many players. Hopefully we get off to a strong start unlike the first two seasons under Pay and that will give us a better chance to make the 8 while making the club more attractive to recruits for 2021 and beyond.

But even the most pessimistic fan should be excited about the new season. It can't get much worse than the last two years and at least now we have genuine young talent pushing for selection!

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say bullshit to your comment about we cannot do anything about the lack of signings...
Lack of negotiation skills
Lack of leadership
Lack of confidence in signing LM and JAC.
Press the button FFS the do nothing board and give the supporters what they want
We can't do anything about the lack of signings for this year or next... All we can do is be optimistic that our young talent will be given plenty of run and that they'll stand out and make those positions their own..

That will negate the need to sign as many players. Hopefully we get off to a strong start unlike the first two seasons under Pay and that will give us a better chance to make the 8 while making the club more attractive to recruits for 2021 and beyond.

But even the most pessimistic fan should be excited about the new season. It can't get much worse than the last two years and at least now we have genuine young talent pushing for selection!

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Some people seem to need instant gratification for next season. Its not going to happen.
The Club has taken the "steady as she goes" approach, and its the right way to deal with things.
The team at present is as competitive as most teams. We will win our share of games. The younger and newer players
will improve with Pays coaching. The only necessary ingredient is to have a greater intensity. It will happen
Top 4 is possible.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on the last 5 or 6 games of last year ...we are now a top4 chance....?
Mate We need to score points , we cannot score points....
Who is going to score the points?

?
Some people seem to need instant gratification for next season. Its not going to happen.
The Club has taken the "steady as she goes" approach, and its the right way to deal with things.
The team at present is as competitive as most teams. We will win our share of games. The younger and newer players
will improve with Pays coaching. The only necessary ingredient is to have a greater intensity. It will happen
Top 4 is possible.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I say bullshit to your comment about we cannot do anything about the lack of signings...
Lack of leadership
Press the button FFS the do nothing board and give the supporters what they want
Give supporters what they want? You don't speak for everyone here.
I'd like to see signings but blowing close to $2 million on LM and JAC isn't good business.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neither is fighting for the wooden spoon every year....
It's good business for the cowboys to sign Valentine Holmes, good business for the bunnies to sign arrow but not good business for the dogs to sign the best winger and centre in the world....
Give supporters what they want? You don't speak for everyone here.
I'd like to see signings but blowing close to $2 million on LM and JAC isn't good business.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lack of leadership
I mean what can we do as fans? Hijack negotiations or hold players children hostage until they sign to play for us?

It's out of our control. We're all frustrated and hate seeing other teams sign or re-sign players we'd like to sign but there's nothing we can do about it as supporters.. I think everyone has vented and whinged enough for months on end that it's time to suck it up, accept things for what they are in the short term and see how things pan out in the first few months of the season.

If we start off horribly again like the previous two seasons, then we'd all have reason to panic, be pessimistic and to call for change. Until then, let's see how thing unfold..

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like there is no point even watching this season then. Thanks for the heads up
Ye I know what you mean

Some of these kenneler don't even board

If I was you I would even post on the kennel anymore to avoid the negativity

#inboardwetrust
#bleatersOut
#adminCheerleadersIn