How will you measure success in 2020

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
??? Why does it take this long to come full circle with people...
We know he’s a good player but no way does he justify the money he is on and making a couple of rookie halves look good doesn’t blow me away sorry

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We know he’s a good player but no way does he justify the money he is on and making a couple of rookie halves look good doesn’t blow me away sorry
Never said he did so why are you bringing that up? I literally said he doesn't justify his price tag posts ago.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He's our best player and every game he played he was one of if not the best player in the game. How did our other players go in the games he was playing? He doesn't need a 10/10 every week to be our best player you know.
He just wasn’t the best player on the field in every game he played or even close to it in plenty of games. You really need to watch some replays.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He just wasn’t the best player on the field in every game he played or even close to it in plenty of games. You really need to watch some replays.
Guess we're agreeing to disagree then basically what you have to do with everyone you talk to on these forums because you just see things completely differently.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Never said he did so why are you bringing that up? I literally said he doesn't justify his price tag posts ago.
So what are you arguing about? That he’s our best player every game he played?

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't think we have any problems with $ outside of the salary cap. Obviously you'd rather not but it's such a little amount to the club. I agree Foran being in and out of the team can be disruptive but you're paying him a low contract (other clubs will be interested, otherwise we could just offer him minimum wage) but is Lewis and especially Cogger our long term fix in the halves (you can throw Wakeham in there but if he's so good why is he unlikely to start round one)? I don't think so and in a couple of years we've going to have to buy a half anyways. When fit Foran is a 1m half (imo) so having him in the squad for peanuts is a risk I'd take personally (at worst he'll play 1/3 of the games - he's on a small contract, and at best he goes injury free or close to it).
My point is is he worth that cost? Yes we have money outside the cap, but do we need to waste it in this way?Could we not better spend that Top 30 spot & money on a young half who won't be ready for FG for a few years. One thing we have totally F#$CKED up is succession planning. I think we have gotten to the point where we may have to cut our loses and move on from Foran. If he can find another club, then good luck to him.

As to whether Lewis / Cogger / Wakeham are the answer, I don't know. This year will be massive for the us. They are reaching the magic numbers of 40 to 80 FG games that make or break footballers. They will either make it or disapper into the ether. I see positives, as well as negatives in all 3. They all have the potential to be be more than average FG players.

I would also put others like Okunbur, To'omago, Meaney, JMK, Elliot, Ogden, Harper and Stimson in that group. Not all will make it, but if most of that group can improve and go to the next level we have the basis of a really good team for years to come. If not, then we scrap the squad and start again with a massive amount of money to spend on the cap.

2020 is going to be a massive rollercoaster.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
??? Why does it take this long to come full circle with people...
Gone off Foz now. DZW is flavour of the month now to be defended come hell or high water till someone posts something about another player then he won't be worth much either ;) fickle much.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Gone off Foz now. DZW is flavour of the month now to be defended come hell or high water till someone posts something about another player then he won't be worth much either ;) fickle much.
Apples and oranges. One was on a small-ish contract and literally lifted our season, the other was the most expensive bench warmer in the NRL

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Apples and oranges. One was on a small-ish contract and literally lifted our season, the other was the most expensive bench warmer in the NRL
1. Smallish? contract (Source please)

2. Contributed more towards a "lift" on the field than Foz when they were both playing? (Proof please. Debatable)

3. Expensive bench warmer (undisputed fact).

One outa 3...you are improving.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have a go come out the gates earlier this year and have a all round go showed glimpses of it last year when there on we can beat any team

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
1. Smallish? contract (Source please)

2. Contributed more towards a "lift" on the field than Foz when they were both playing? (Proof please. Debatable)

3. Expensive bench warmer (undisputed fact).

One outa 3...you are improving.
1. Yeah right. Why would anyone share figures let alone a source. That’s the quickest way to burn sources but his contract value was a fraction of Foran’s. Bradyk will be able to confirm that.

2. Our season literally turned around when we signed DWZ. I’m not sure if you watched the games or not but the impact he had cannot be refuted

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
1. Yeah right. Why would anyone share figures let alone a source. That’s the quickest way to burn sources but his contract value was a fraction of Foran’s. Bradyk will be able to confirm that.

2. Our season literally turned around when we signed DWZ. I’m not sure if you watched the games or not but the impact he had cannot be refuted
2. Not disputing that but you intimated he contributed more towards lifting us than Foz when they both played.

Love how you always back down and become more balanced when explaining your statements. I'm glad I ask :grinning:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
2. Not disputing that but you intimated he contributed more towards lifting us than Foz when they both played.

Love how you always back down and become more balanced when explaining your statements. I'm glad I ask :grinning:
Maybe it’s the way you react and interpret things instead of clarifying anything that goes over your head

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Success for me this year is making the 8. Extreme success would be the top 4 but I think that is unlikely.

A premiership is just impossible. I want the club to start building to something and weeding out who we need to cut this year is necessary. We also need to play well to attract new recruits when we have money next year.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The only criteria I am assessing this season on is:

FOR AND AGAINST. Our points differential.

Yes we still have a very average spine but we need to score more points and defend consistently through out the season. Our differential has been awful for 4 seasons now possibly more.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only criteria I am assessing this season on is:

FOR AND AGAINST. Our points differential.

Yes we still have a very average spine but we need to score more points and defend consistently through out the season. Our differential has been awful for 4 seasons now possibly more.
I can’t really see that changing much we will be trying to grind out results which gives you wins of 10 points or less and all it takes is couple of blow outs to ruin the differential. Take away those 2 Dragons games from this year and our for and against wasn’t that bad.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can’t really see that changing much we will be trying to grind out results which gives you wins of 10 points or less and all it takes is couple of blow outs to ruin the differential. Take away those 2 Dragons games from this year and our for and against wasn’t that bad.
We're going to be in the same situation as last year if none of the spine players take their game to a higher level. Wakeham & Averillo are probably another year off before they become regular starters, I think these two have more to their games.

If Lewis, Cogger and JMK don't improve there should be changes in 2021. DWZ same goes for him if it's clear he is not a long term FB then he needs to be switched to wing or centre.

If we see another dud attacking display in 2020 the spine needs to be overhauled for 2021.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We're going to be in the same situation as last year if none of the spine players take their game to a higher level. Wakeham & Averillo are probably another year off before they become regular starters, I think these two have more to their games.

If Lewis, Cogger and JMK don't improve there should be changes in 2021. DWZ same goes for him if it's clear he is not a long term FB then he needs to be switched to wing or centre.

If we see another dud attacking display in 2020 the spine needs to be overhauled for 2021.
Totally agree you’d think there would be some degree of improvement in the spine but how much is the big question. Hopefully I’m wrong but I can’t see it improving enough to get over 20 points regularly in games. We just don’t have the creativity in the spine if we run with DWZ, Lewis, Cogger and JMK.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally agree you’d think there would be some degree of improvement in the spine but how much is the big question. Hopefully I’m wrong but I can’t see it improving enough to get over 20 points regularly in games. We just don’t have the creativity in the spine if we run with DWZ, Lewis, Cogger and JMK.
I tend to also think that our spine is ok but might struggle against the top teams
They just don’t have enough experience between them to dominate others
Your comments regarding Foran are on the money
Very little service overall for what the club forked out which was a pretty dollar or two
But in my opinion the biggest blowtorch will and should be on our coach
Enough talk and chances
The board must show and demonstrate to everybody involved in this great club that mediocre performance are a thing of the past
It starts with Dean