How will you measure success in 2020

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice. Considering I’m on my way to the cricket today the Kiwi accent was a good touch - ‘Ut won’t hippen overnight but ut wull hippen’. Apologies to Kiwi Kennel brethren :-)
Enjoy hope Aussies win toss and bat first and Warner puts on a show for you.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We have to get off to a good start, if it's anything less than a 50-50 record by the first 8 to 10 rounds, we're screwed and it's a fail IMO

Rnd 1 -away to Parra - could be anything

Rnd 2- home to Cowboys - must be a win

Rnd 3 - away to tigers - I expect a win

Rnd 4 - home to sharks - I expect a win

Rnd 5 - away to scum sydney - loss

Rnd 6 - home to parra - win

Rnd 7 - away to cowboys - possible win

Rnd 8 - home to raiders - a win, yes they made the grand final but I see our grinding style nullifying them

Rnd 9 - away to warriors - a win

Rnd 10 - home to des - MUST BE A win

We have quite a good draw for the start of the season and anything less than a 50-50 record is a complete fail

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We have to get off to a good start, if it's anything less than a 50-50 record by the first 8 to 10 rounds, we're screwed and it's a fail IMO

Rnd 8 - home to raiders - a win, yes they made the grand final but I see our grinding style nullifying them

We have quite a good draw for the start of the season and anything less than a 50-50 record is a complete fail
That Souths game isn't a automatic loss either they are falling a long way down the ladder next season.

Anything less then 5 wins should see heads roll.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Do you think Foran made as much impact as he should have to justify his price tag?
Due to injury no. I don't think anyone would say he has justified his price tag. When he did play he was one of if not the best player on the field every time. He has done more than all our Halves combined and has played 1/3 of the games.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

You've got us 7 wins, 2 possiblies, 1 loss. GF bound!

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Due to injury no. I don't think anyone would say he has justified his price tag. When he did play he was one of if not the best player on the field every time. He has done more than all our Halves combined and has played 1/3 of the games.
Even when he wasn’t injured I don’t believe he was a million dollar player

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
What games have you been watching for the last 2 years? There has been plenty of games where you wouldn't even know Foran was playing let alone being close to the best player on the field.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
What games have you been watching for the last 2 years? There has been plenty of games where you wouldn't even know Foran was playing let alone being close to the best player on the field.
It’s funny you say that. I can remember quite a few games I attended where everyone was asking whether he was even on the field

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s funny you say that. I can remember quite a few games I attended where everyone was asking whether he was even on the field
He's a much better player when he plays second fiddle to a dominate half when he has to do it all himself he struggles.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You've got us 7 wins, 2 possiblies, 1 loss. GF bound!
Lol, I guess I'm trying to point out that there are games we can win in those first 10 rounds, obviously it won't go the way I list it, but if we are to have a less than 50-50 record then it's not acceptable. Our draw for the first 10 rounds isn't that bad.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
That Souths game isn't a automatic loss either they are falling a long way down the ladder next season.

Anything less then 5 wins should see heads roll.
We've traditionally struggled against this group of players soufs have but with one of the burgess twins missing (we've struggled containing them both), it may be a possibility.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/index.php?threads/2019-final-result.111942/ ?

What the majority think doesn't really matter to me (I use my own judgement mainly but don't completely rely on what other people think) but all I can say to you is to re watch all of our games last year where he played and maybe even watch a few highlight reels. Not sure what to tell you it seems like you have hatred towards him or you didn't watch the games with your glasses on. He did more than all our Halves combined and I'm not changing my stance on that. Just listen to the commentary from the greats of the game.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The person I was responding to was questioning Foran's ability when on the field. Not sure what he's watching. Now regarding your post I'd personally look to resign Foran on a small contract (300-400k) but I don't think it'll happen.
In a perfect world I would agree. Foran is a very talented player and one of the best in his position on his day, but I have 2 problems with resigning him on anything that resembles a playing contract:

1) How much is he going to cost us in rehab? Would we even be able to insure him or do we have to pay all his costs?

2)Having Foran in and out of a team is disruptive. Better to let the young guys form a combination than break them up every 3 weeks because Foran has returned from another injury, only to go off injured again. Time to bite the bullet on this one I think

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
In a perfect world I would agree. Foran is a very talented player and one of the best in his position on his day, but I have 2 problems with resigning him on anything that resembles a playing contract:

1) How much is he going to cost us in rehab? Would we even be able to insure him or do we have to pay all his costs?

2)Having Foran in and out of a team is disruptive. Better to let the young guys form a combination than break them up every 3 weeks because Foran has returned from another injury, only to go off injured again. Time to bite the bullet on this one I think
I don't think we have any problems with $ outside of the salary cap. Obviously you'd rather not but it's such a little amount to the club. I agree Foran being in and out of the team can be disruptive but you're paying him a low contract (other clubs will be interested, otherwise we could just offer him minimum wage) but is Lewis and especially Cogger our long term fix in the halves (you can throw Wakeham in there but if he's so good why is he unlikely to start round one)? I don't think so and in a couple of years we've going to have to buy a half anyways. When fit Foran is a 1m half (imo) so having him in the squad for peanuts is a risk I'd take personally (at worst he'll play 1/3 of the games - he's on a small contract, and at best he goes injury free or close to it).

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/index.php?threads/2019-final-result.111942/ ?

What the majority think doesn't really matter to me (I use my own judgement mainly but don't completely rely on what other people think) but all I can say to you is to re watch all of our games last year where he played and maybe even watch a few highlight reels. Not sure what to tell you it seems like you have hatred towards him or you didn't watch the games with your glasses on. He did more than all our Halves combined and I'm not changing my stance on that. Just listen to the commentary from the greats of the game.
He did more than all our halves combined? You mean the kids that were on close to minimum wage? He’s on over a million a year mate

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He did more than all our halves combined? You mean the kids that were on close to minimum wage? He’s on over a million a year mate
??? Why does it take this long to come full circle with people...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

What the majority think doesn't really matter to me but all I can say to you is to re watch all of our games last year where he played and maybe even watch a few highlight reels. Not sure what to tell you it seems like you have hatred towards him or you didn't watch the game with your glasses on.
Cmon are you seriously using that as your argument? It’s kind of embarrassing that you are basing anything off that player of the year poll.

He only performed in three games all year it’s not hate it’s just the way I see it. Was he the best on the field in the first 2 games of the year no where near it! He was MOM in the Tigers game after that then injured. He returned in Round 9 and played a string of games till Round 15 where we only won two games against the Titans and played 20 mins against Sharks. He played well in that 20 mins but that’s all he played. Was he the best player or close to it in any of those games? No.

He returned Round 22 and was very good against Souths and Parra. Then did absolutely nothing against the Cowboys and played ok against the Broncos. He didn’t star in every game as you claim at all.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Cmon are you seriously using that as your argument? It’s kind of embarrassing that you are basing anything off that player of the year poll.

He only performed in three games all year it’s not hate it’s just the way I see it. Was he the best on the field in the first 2 games of the year no where near it! He was MOM in the Tigers game after that then injured. He returned in Round 9 and played a string of games till Round 15 where we only won two games against the Titans and played 20 mins against Sharks. He played well in that 20 mins but that’s all he played. Was he the best player or close to it in any of those games? No.

He returned Round 22 and was very good against Souths and Parra. Then did absolutely nothing against the Cowboys and played ok against the Broncos. He didn’t star in every game as you claim at all.
He's our best player and every game he played he was one of if not the best player in the game. How did our other players go in the games he was playing? He doesn't need a 10/10 every week to be our best player you know.