How will you measure success in 2020

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Not meaning to stir up sh*t but there is cap
available now for 2021 and we haven’t signed anyone of note.. that can really only be due to lack of success... at some point the board will have to bite the Bullet and pay a little over for a top player but I guess they haven’t seen anyone they feel is worth it yet. ..

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Not meaning to stir up sh*t but there is cap
available now for 2021 and we haven’t signed anyone of note.. that can really only be due to lack of success... at some point the board will have to bite the Bullet and pay a little over for a top player but I guess they haven’t seen anyone they feel is worth it yet. ..
A lot of talent available for 2021 has been locked up already which suggests we're going to be picking up players unwanted at their current club while still under contract (we're obviously also competing with other clubs). I guess it's possible we've signed players but not announced yet but usually the media doesn't take long to sniff something out. You can't recruit for 2021 at the end of the 2020 season (as you can see now there's nothing left for 2020 after the 2019 season finished).

Last edited:

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
A lot of talent available for 2021 has been locked up already which suggests we're going to be picking up players unwanted at their current club while still under contract (we're obviously also competing with other clubs). I guess it's possible we've signed players but not announced yet but usually the media doesn't take long to sniff something out. You can't recruit for 2021 at the end of the 2020 season (as you can see now there's nothing left for 2020 after the 2019 season finished).
Yeah I tend to agree. My point was also around the fact the lack of recent success makes it difficult to recruit talent right now. I’m sure if we finished a bit higher on the table recruitment would be easier.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah I tend to agree. My point was also around the fact the lack of recent success makes it difficult to recruit talent right now. I’m sure if we finished a bit higher on the table recruitment would be easier.
That and cap space. As we’ve seen many times and let’s take Arrow as an example - once a deal is done, the club they’re leaving usually wants to cut a deal immediately - we don’t have that luxury for 2020 with the last year of cap pain, so it’s either 2021 or no deal.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
With the average NRL player contract being 3 years there are on average 10 players from every team off contract every year. I don’t know about you, that’s around 160 players, in my counting that’s a “lot”. Plus any number of players that will consider jumping ship early for any number of reasons. Who knew DWZ was going to opt out of his contract early last season or who would have remotely imagined that Mitchell wants to jump ship for next season? Let alone 2021? Players don’t have to be “unwanted” to leave their club, often it’s the player that doesn’t “want” to be at the club.

I don’t see the logic in relating 2020, where we have very little cap space, to 2021 where we have a lot.

Happy New Year to All
Go Dogs

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
That and cap space. As we’ve seen many times and let’s take Arrow as an example - once a deal is done, the club they’re leaving usually wants to cut a deal immediately - we don’t have that luxury for 2020 with the last year of cap pain, so it’s either 2021 or no deal.
Talking more for 2021 as at Nov 1st it has been game on... the struggle for us won’t be cap space.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Talking more for 2021 as at Nov 1st it has been game on... the struggle for us won’t be cap space.
Sure, but I think the club has been well aware of that for some time. It’s a competitive marketplace and two key considerations in that context are how much you can afford to pay (that improves significantly for us in 2021) and how attractive you are to play for (hopefully our performance in 2020 also addresses this - and that might also be tied to sponsorship to some degree).

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
With the average NRL player contract being 3 years there are on average 10 players from every team off contract every year. I don’t know about you, that’s around 160 players, in my counting that’s a “lot”. Plus any number of players that will consider jumping ship early for any number of reasons. Who knew DWZ was going to opt out of his contract early last season or who would have remotely imagined that Mitchell wants to jump ship for next season? Let alone 2021? Players don’t have to be “unwanted” to leave their club, often it’s the player that doesn’t “want” to be at the club.

I don’t see the logic in relating 2020, where we have very little cap space, to 2021 where we have a lot.

Happy New Year to All
Go Dogs
You'll see it next year I guess. I'm not going to repeat myself anymore.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Sure, but I think the club has been well aware of that for some time. It’s a competitive marketplace and two key considerations in that context are how much you can afford to pay (that improves significantly for us in 2021) and how attractive you are to play for (hopefully our performance in 2020 also addresses this - and that might also be tied to sponsorship to some degree).
Yeah that’s right we are still up against it a bit to recruit for 2021 but i’m sure there would be some things happening in the back ground..

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah that’s right we are still up against it a bit to recruit for 2021 but i’m sure there would be some things happening in the back ground..
I have no doubt - Hilly confirmed that at the Member Forum last month but despite the very little they’ve said publicly (deliberately) - they simply have to have started work beyond 2020 and likely looking forward to 2022...

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Foran is or almost is our best player every time he's on the field? He has done more than all of our halves combined and he played 14 games (and didn't finish all of them) last season. If Foran was injury free last season we make the eight (I still think he's one of the best five-eighths in the game and that isn't why you don't get bang for buck with him).
If Foran was on 500k and didn't get injured lol I'd be stoked with him and Wakeham in the halves but sadly Foran is done

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If Foran was on 500k and didn't get injured lol I'd be stoked with him and Wakeham in the halves but sadly Foran is done
The person I was responding to was questioning Foran's ability when on the field. Not sure what he's watching. Now regarding your post I'd personally look to resign Foran on a small contract (300-400k) but I don't think it'll happen.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The person I was responding to was questioning Foran's ability when on the field. Not sure what he's watching. Now regarding your post I'd personally look to resign Foran on a small contract (300-400k) but I don't think it'll happen.
Do you think Foran made as much impact as he should have to justify his price tag?

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Success for 2020 for me is a side that plays every game like the last 8 games of last year. Regardless of wins I want a side that gets stuck into opposition sides defensively, that loves playing with each other & every side that plays us knows they cant clock off.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no doubt - Hilly confirmed that at the Member Forum last month but despite the very little they’ve said publicly (deliberately) - they simply have to have started work beyond 2020 and likely looking forward to 2022...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you think Foran made as much impact as he should have to justify his price tag?
Out of the 14 games he played he only dominated 3 (Round 3 v Tigers, Round 22 v Souths and Round 23 v Parra) then you factor in his injuries its terrible value for money.

You'd think he was Joey reincarnated the way some carry on about him and even when fit he doesn't deliver regularly enough.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Out of the 14 games he played he only dominated 3 (Round 3 v Tigers, Round 22 v Souths and Round 23 v Parra) then you factor in his injuries its terrible value for money.

You'd think he was Joey reincarnated the way some carry on about him and even when fit he doesn't deliver regularly enough.
Exactly mate and if players were paid based on value for money he would’ve been on 300k since he left Manly

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Nice. Considering I’m on my way to the cricket today the Kiwi accent was a good touch - ‘Ut won’t hippen overnight but ut wull hippen’. Apologies to Kiwi Kennel brethren :-)
Enjoy mate! I might go tomorrow