NBN Modem advice

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Need some help mates.

Moving to a new house in a few weeks and I'm pretty much decided on Aussie Broadband as my ISP, problem is their stock Modem looks pretty junk.

Can anybody make a suggestion for a decent one that won't cost $600 and be powerful enough to cover 3 heavy users over 2 levels?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Telstra Gateway

• Gateway Wifi Modem included (reaches 2 levels and outside)
  • NBN Box included
  • NBN installation included
  • Local, national, and mobile phone calls included, unlimited
  • 1500GB monthly, then slowed (no excess data charges)
  • $99.00 per month
That's it, no charges for any installation or delivery.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yh my NBN still doesn't work, installed almost a month ago lol.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Who are you with?
Superloop, but NBN are the ones responsible for the mess right now and the issue is on their side.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Need some help mates.

Moving to a new house in a few weeks and I'm pretty much decided on Aussie Broadband as my ISP, problem is their stock Modem looks pretty junk.

Can anybody make a suggestion for a decent one that won't cost $600 and be powerful enough to cover 3 heavy users over 2 levels?
You're talking about the router, right?

If you are, I recommend one of the Netgear Nighthawk routers. I have had one for the last 3 years and never had a problem.

This is the one I use...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/143328992703

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Thanks mate, I'll have a look
No worries my bro.

PS I have 4 heavy users in a double story house with no worries. I'm on the TPG NBN50 plan, no lock in contract.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No worries my bro.

PS I have 4 heavy users in a double story house with no worries. I'm on the TPG NBN50 plan, no lock in contract.
Do you have any wifi extenders?

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Do you have any wifi extenders?
I am lucky enough to have it placed nearly dead centre of the house so I don't need one, but upstairs in the furthest corner it drops from 4 bars to 3.

Lucky again as the furthest spot is a walk in wardrobe lol

PS I'm no nerd and don't know if Netgear is the best or not but I'm happy with mine and no need to upgrade for a long time.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It depends on the house and what it's built with, how much insulation there is, are doors left open or closed all the time, etc.

It also depends if you're getting FTTN, FTTB or FTTP. If you're getting FTTP then the best options are either the Netgear Nighthawk range as Assassin mentioned above, or the mesh network like Google Nest WiFi. I find the mesh network to be slightly better and more adaptable, but also more expensive.

If you have FTTN or FTTB then it's a bit more difficult. You either need to get a VDSL2 NBN compatible modem/router as your primary unit, or get a VDSL2 NBN compatible modem that you can put in bridge mode then add a router or mesh network.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It depends on the house and what it's built with, how much insulation there is, are doors left open or closed all the time, etc.

It also depends if you're getting FTTN, FTTB or FTTP. If you're getting FTTP then the best options are either the Netgear Nighthawk range as Assassin mentioned above, or the mesh network like Google Nest WiFi. I find the mesh network to be slightly better and more adaptable, but also more expensive.

If you have FTTN or FTTB then it's a bit more difficult. You either need to get a VDSL2 NBN compatible modem/router as your primary unit, or get a VDSL2 NBN compatible modem that you can put in bridge mode then add a router or mesh network.
Thanks man. I was looking at the Google Nest setup, the house is pretty big. Do you still need the ISP router to use it?

How do you find out what FTT- you have?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Look into power line adapters. I've had them for years with no issues. There are lan (u plug a network cable into them) and wireless (extends your wifi range) versions.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks man. I was looking at the Google Nest setup, the house is pretty big. Do you still need the ISP router to use it?

How do you find out what FTT- you have?
It basically acts as a router. You manage it using the Google WiFi app for Android or iOS. Then to get more coverage you add extra Google WiFi routers that act as wireless repeaters.

If you have FTTP then you just plug it into the NBN box with a network/Ethernet cable and set it up via the app.

If you have FTTB/FTTN then you need another modem and you need to plug the Google WiFi into the modem. It's preferable that you put the modem in bridge mode before plugging the Google WiFi into it. But in bridge mode you lose some aspects of the NBN modem like the landline. You can plug it into the modem without bridge mode but then you get a double NAT which causes problems for online gaming.

Go to this page and enter your address. That will tell you if you have FTTN, FTTP or FTTB

https://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/check-your-address

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Look into power line adapters. I've had them for years with no issues. There are lan (u plug a network cable into them) and wireless (extends your wifi range) versions.
I heard that those ones need to be on the same power network though. Modern homes, like this 2 story one for instance, would have at least 4 power networks. Best thing is a wifi modem and good router on the next level.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Powerline adapters are great too. They have two small downsides that I have personally experienced:

- if there's dodgy wiring in the house then they have constant problems. Losing connection all the time

- there's some modems that they just don't like at all. I've had Powerline adapters disagree with 2 modems. It would knock out the internet. Not just the Powerline network, the modem would go into constant reboot. Took them back under warranty to complain and was told that it's a known issue with certain modems

I can't use them at my current place for the latter issue, couldn't use them at my last place for the former issue. It's a pity 'cause they were great at my house before that.

Originally got them for Steambox. The Steambox just doesn't work on WiFi. It does work on Google WiFi though, just not traditional WiFi. But even then my PC has to be hard wired with the Steambox on WiFi.

Ended up donating the Powerline adapters to a friend and they work perfectly at his house.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I heard that those ones need to be on the same power network though. Modern homes, like this 2 story one for instance, would have at least 4 power networks. Best thing is a wifi modem and good router on the next level.
Ask a builder, most houses are single network for the power points. Some really large houses might not be, but ive lived in a normal sized 2 storey which worked fine upstairs to downstairs.

It shouldnt affect the equipment like the router, power doesnt travel from the point through the lan cable to the router or pc. I was sceptical about them for years, thinking they would blow up my equipment. Then i lived in a house that hated wifi, and the cost of putting points everywhere was high. Also the missus wouldnt want cables running everywhere outside the walls. So i tried them. They are cheap to impliment. Never looked back.

Never had any equipment blow up, or problems with connection. Maybe once every few months on average i have to turn them off and back on when they lock up. I guess things that could change that are shitty cheap powerline adapters or poor house wiring (if thats the case internet isnt you biggestr concern). Compatibility issues i havent heard of (doesnt mean they dont exist, i havent had to look into it). The signal is filtered by the adapter and only a normal lan signal goes from the adapter to the equipment. Id say the equipment was the issue for people who had that.

Just a cheap option that works well for a lot of people. About $50 per point (and you need one at the router too). Ive even tried them in a house that was 40 years old and 2 storey, no issue.