How will you measure success in 2020

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I just want us to run out every week and give it a proper go. Whatever we did in that final month or so last season should be the building block.

It's really all about attitude.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Probably to finish higher than 12th and to make some good recruitment decisions for 2021. Not expecting 2021 to be perfect but definitely should be a finals team no doubt.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You can dream mate but as the great Daryl Kerrigan would say to you, “Tell him he’s dreamin’ (if you don’t think the points I mentioned aren’t very valid reasons why we are up against it even before a ball is kicked)”.
Your points are valid but also are very narrow minded ( not meant as an insult) the club will always have it's rhetoric it's media speal and people to run with it. But the truth is every team will have a reason to feel hard done by at some point it's the nature of the game. Excuses on the kennel how ever are too rampant, too old festering like yesterdays garbage! Rhetoric that we all know regurgitated and echoed at every given chance. As in poker you are dealt a hand and it's up to you, what you make of it.

Last edited:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Your points are valid but also are very narrow minded ( not meant as an insult) the club will always have it's rhetoric it's media speal and people to run with it. But the truth is every team will have a reason to feel hard done by at some point it's the nature of the game. Excuses on the kennel how ever are too rampant, too old festering like yesterdays garbage! Rhetoric that we all know regurgitated and echoed at every given chance. As in poker you are dealt a hand and it's up to you, what you make of it.
I know what you mean and have heard excuses from all other supporters too ie Dragons with De belin. I don’t care so much of the opinion of the kennel as most of it is just negative blaming and complaining without thought of why and how. Instant success is not possible and a rebuild was unfortunately needed.
I also don’t listen to much of what is said in the media. I base my opinions on fact and evidence

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have always and will ALWAYS expect our Bulldogs to make the 8. We don't make it, it's a failed season.

Wether I'm realistic or not is something else lol. I don't think I can ever go into a season even talking about not making the 8.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The whole season played like we finished last year, desperate intensity.
We were playing for nothing but now its another opportunity.
I don't wanna see this year wasted because we are supposed to be waiting for big guns in 21, these boys are champions in their own right.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Top 8 is definitely the realistic target. We came so close last year after a pathetic first half to the season. Most of our young team are on the rise and if a few can have breakout seasons eg JMK, Toomaga, Wakeham, Okunbur, Averillo etc we will be there. We are in the perfect position to suprise everyone. These young players should be champing at the bit to go to the next level. Due to the salary cap restrictions, the club has put faith in and given these young players the opportunity. Now is there time to take that opportunity and prove that they are worthy. Exciting times for the Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The Kennel wouldn't be the kennel without having excuses now would we??? I'm sure there are 15 other teams that would have something to bitch about through the year so why should we be any different. The simple truth is our fans have gone from a winning culture to accepting mediocre out comes.
^^ every other team has to deal with injuries, bad ref calls unless Todd's favs, the lopsidded draw, SOO and inconsistencies.

We all start equal Round 1. Otherwise don't bother coming. No excuses.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had a strong end to last season and were close to top 8. If we dont make top 8 this year, we cannot say we are improving and have a successful season.

My opinion is we have some promising young players in lower grades and couple of them need to show progress to an nrl debut. I also like to see improvements from those players that started to be regular first graders last season, like okunbor, toomaga, meaney etc

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
That excuse has been exhausted as well. We had money. We have chosen and bought certain players and retained others that presumably Pay wanted.

We had excuses but no valid excuses remain.
Exhausted? It’s factual hahaha. A restriction is a restriction

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That excuse has been exhausted as well. We had money. We have chosen and bought certain players and retained others that presumably Pay wanted.

We had excuses but no valid excuses remain.
While there is still players on back ended deals it is a factor but its certainly no where near as big of a issue as it was in previous seasons.

Pay and the club have had enough room to move with the cap situation to make their own decisions on players now so it can't be used as a excuse if we aren't winning games. Could it be used as a excuse for not being a top 4 team? Certainly.

Using Foran as a excuse is a cop out in my opinion there won't be a team in the NRL that always has their full roster available. The team has shown it can win games with out him in 2019 and the team has had a full off season to work on things without him.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Exhausted? It’s factual hahaha. A restriction is a restriction
Ok then. Put it this way if you dont like excuse. The "restriction" is not a valid excuse THIS coming season because we bought players. We had options. A choice was made and decisions on what players was made.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Ok then. Put it this way if you dont like excuse. The "restriction" is not a valid excuse THIS coming season because we bought players. We had options. A choice was made and decisions on what players was made.
Yes I agree but we didn’t have the same options as 15 other clubs due to the salary cap did we?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we don't succeed most are going to blame Pay but is it really all his fault or was it our admin / the whole club. He expressed his desire in wanting to get several new players for 2020 but we failed to get them unfortunately. I'd be very surprised if our admin didn't tell Pay to shut up soon after. He can only do so much with our roster and now we're down our major and most experienced attacking weapon from game 1 for all or most of the season. If we defend like we did towards the end of last season it will help but if we can't score points simply because we're lacking strike then his hands are kind of tied. Also - are there any decent coaches to replace him with ? The shelves look pretty bare.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The boys were an inch short of the top 8 last season. With the usual improvement, the additional players,
and a huge lift in intensity, they will make the 8 or even better.
The "weak" part of the side is the lack of a creative pair of 1/2's. I see Cogger and Wakeham as the best option of filling those positions.
If they perform as expected, top 4 is not out of the question.