How will you measure success in 2020

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
50 points is the pass mark, KPIs are very achievable for onfield and off field performance, the club has had ample opportunity to build for a successful 2020 campaign

10 points - Announce a major sponsor prior to season kick off

5 points - For extra style points. No more ugly jerseys (red....yuk)

10 points - win more games than lose in the first ten rounds, we have struggled in the last few years

20 points - Finish higher than 12th, honeymoon period is over for Dean Pay, 2 years in a row we finished 12th, dean pay says we are improving, he needs to show us

20 points - Finish higher than the Titans, Andrew Hill had a spot of tea with Justin Holbrook and probably had the opportunity to get him as coach. If titans finish higher than us then it's a slap in the face to our admin

40 points - finish in the top 8

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Playing very competitive footy, and Top 8 will do nicely thanks, that has to be our Goal/achievement. happy to see our bulldogs Back in the finals again...!!!!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'd like us to avoid the bottom four finishing around 12th (we're expected to finish second last by the bookies). Any better than that will help put us in a better position in the following years (recruitment). I couldn't question the effort of the boys last year. I'd like that to be the same from round one - at this stage I'm fine losing games due to a lack of talent (I don't think our roster is good enough personally). I want to see improvement from the start of the season and the end of the season (individuals and game plan). Confidence is everything so if we're winning that'll help. The more of our current players that step up the less we'll going to have to rely on the transfer market. With spots up for grabs and Pay not being scared to shuffle the roster it'll bring out the best in the players knowing what we need going forward (I think we have a decent idea already). I'd also like us to sign one more player that's going to make a difference before the start of the season (as far as I know we have one spot open and we're sitting on a bit of salary cap to spend).

Last edited:

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would be great to see our spine playing like a proper spine. If that happens we’ve got enough other decent players to make finals. Big if though!

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think mentally winning against Parra round 1 is a must and will set the platform for the year. Sure I want top 4 but I think if we made it to second round of top 8 that would be successful. Big if.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO an honest pass for 2020 is to be in real contention for the top 8 come final round, ie not depending on four results to go our way.

Yes I’ll be pissed if we do a Tiggers and fail at the last hurdle but it’ll be nowhere near the seething anger if we enter the last 10 rounds with no real chance of making the 8 again.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not confident that we will start the season with a bang, a lot will depend on how our youngsters progress during the year.
I'm certain that we have players who potentially have more upside than any of the other clubs, so if enough step up we should finish the season strongly once again, it should be an interesting year for us.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sim
50 points is the pass mark, KPIs are very achievable for onfield and off field performance, the club has had ample opportunity to build for a successful 2020 campaign

10 points - Announce a major sponsor prior to season kick off

5 points - For extra style points. No more ugly jerseys (red....yuk)

10 points - win more games than lose in the first ten rounds, we have struggled in the last few years

20 points - Finish higher than 12th, honeymoon period is over for Dean Pay, 2 years in a row we finished 12th, dean pay says we are improving, he needs to show us

20 points - Finish higher than the Titans, Andrew Hill had a spot of tea with Justin Holbrook and probably had the opportunity to get him as coach. If titans finish higher than us then it's a slap in the face to our admin

40 points - finish in the top 8
Simple measure of success for me will be - if I'm happy and relaxed most weekends; and happy to talk about rugby league, then the Dogs are playing well enough.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The measure has to be finals footy. We make the 8 and I’m a happy camper. The other marker is a strengthened roster.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
First priority: Defence wins, so looking for the defence moving up and smothering the opposition and putting pressure on the attaching team. What I do not want to see is players standing waiting for the opposition to come or even worse backpedaling in defence.
Second priority: In every attacking play, all team members move forward and make it look like they might get the ball. Keeps the opposition defence spread. None of this "its not my turn so I will stop and have a breather this play". Keep the opposition guessing and be there in position to back up if a break occurs.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I'd like us to avoid the bottom four finishing around 12th (we're expected to finish second last by the bookies). Any better than that will help put us in a better position in the following years (recruitment). I couldn't question the effort of the boys last year. I'd like that to be the same from round one - at this stage I'm fine losing games due to a lack of talent (I don't think our roster is good enough personally). I want to see improvement from the start of the season and the end of the season (individuals and game plan). Confidence is everything so if we're winning that'll help. The more of our current players that step up the less we'll going to have to rely on the transfer market. With spots up for grabs and Pay not being scared to shuffle the roster it'll bring out the best in the players knowing what we need going forward (I think we have a decent idea already). I'd also like us to sign one more player that's going to make a difference before the start of the season (as far as I know we have one spot open and we're sitting on a bit of salary cap to spend).
I say bollocks to the bookies - they get it wrong as often as they get it right. We were tipped for the spoon in 2019 and that didn’t happen. Other teams tipped for the 8 like Penrif and Newcastle didn’t make it.

For a team that finished ONE win out of the finals last year with a squad hugely diminished in experience from the previous year, we actually did OK in the end after a terrible start.

For a more settled and more experienced squad going into 2020 compared to 2019 there is absolutely no reason we cannot make the 8.

The key for me will be a better, more consistent start and not dropping games we should’ve won (Manly, Canberra) as we did in 2019 - if we won those two as we should have - we make the 8.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For me it's Holbrook vs Pay....Holbrook first year NRL coach with the bottom of the ladder luckless Titans versus Pay 3rd year NRL coach, honeymoon over, no more excuses, has had time and input into his current squad, we will bring back the madness Pay. Both squads are fairly evenly matched talent wise but I do believe we do have a better roster. If by chance we finish behind the Titans this season major questions must be asked of our coach, our football department and the clubs administration.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
For me it's Holbrook vs Pay....Holbrook first year NRL coach with the bottom of the ladder luckless Titans versus Pay 3rd year NRL coach, honeymoon over, no more excuses, has had time and input into his current squad, we will bring back the madness Pay. Both squads are fairly evenly matched talent wise but I do believe we do have a better roster. If by chance we finish behind the Titans this season major questions must be asked of our coach, our football department and the clubs administration.
Still not being able to spend what other teams do on the salary cap and having our highest paid player out for the whole season are pretty valid excuses though if you want to call them that

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The table position doesn't bother me because let's be honest we are not going to win the comp.

I want to see genuine improvement and winning games when they matter.

Pay doesn't have the excuse of it being a young team anymore and most have the 40-50 games he was talking about.

If we haven't won at least 5 games after Round 10 then heads will have to roll.

The key to it all is going to be our defence its going to have to hold teams to under 3 tries like it did at the end of 2019 if it doesn't we are spoon contenders because we just don't have the points in us.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Still not being able to spend what other teams do on the salary cap and having our highest paid player out for the whole season are pretty valid excuses though if you want to call them that
The Kennel wouldn't be the kennel without having excuses now would we??? I'm sure there are 15 other teams that would have something to bitch about through the year so why should we be any different. The simple truth is our fans have gone from a winning culture to accepting mediocre out comes.

Last edited:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The Kennel wouldn't be the kennel without having excuses now would we??? I'm sure there are 15 other teams that would have something to bitch about through the year so why should we be any different. The simple truth is our fans have gone from a winning culture to accepting mediocre out comes.
No, it’s just the facts. Unfortunately it doesn’t get through to some people that just like to whinge without accepting the truth or even wanting to support the club

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No, it’s just the facts. Unfortunately it doesn’t get through to some people that just like to whinge without accepting the truth or even wanting to support the club
Sticks and stones mate, sticks and stones. Dreams of glory does not come from mediocracy nor does it come from following blindly without questioning the out come.

Last edited:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Sticks and stones mate, sticks and stones. Dreams of glory does not come from mediocracy.
You can dream mate but as the great Daryl Kerrigan would say to you, “Tell him he’s dreamin’ (if you don’t think the points I mentioned aren’t very valid reasons why we are up against it even before a ball is kicked)”.