Opinion Tall timber

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The above article is about Dragon Jason Saab who is 199cm tall and how much of a advantage he has due to the rule change with a defender no longer being able to tackle a catcher in the air. We have Reimis and Okunbor both at 196cm and for a team that struggles for points it will be a valuable source of points.

Meaney is rock solid under the high ball but his height leaves him at a major disadvantage.

Every time a bomb goes out to the wings it would be probably better then a 50% success rate especially if its focused on heavily in the pre-season.
The question is who will be delivering these pin point kicks to Okunbur that will be consistently reaping us points?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The question is who will be delivering these pin point kicks to Okunbur that will be consistently reaping us points?
To be honest that probably the biggest problem. Wakeham can put up nice bombs and Lewis can on occasions but his kicking game is very inconsistent.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Well Cogger put some great kicks up for Hoppa and Smith to contest, would have been even better if our pack dominated so he could execute over the advantage line instead of flat or deep. Best kicking options are Wakeham, Cogger, Lewis in that order

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The above article is about Dragon Jason Saab who is 199cm tall and how much of a advantage he has due to the rule change with a defender no longer being able to tackle a catcher in the air. We have Reimis and Okunbor both at 196cm and for a team that struggles for points it will be a valuable source of points.

Meaney is rock solid under the high ball but his height leaves him at a major disadvantage.

Every time a bomb goes out to the wings it would be probably better then a 50% success rate especially if its focused on heavily in the pre-season.
The answer will be whether our halves are good and strategic enough to kick the ball accurately into the breadbasket of our tall wingers? I’m hoping Pay is focusing on developing Cogger, Lewis and Wakehams tactical kicking games so we can exploit this rule! Time will tell lads.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think Pay will start Lewis for sure and I think his kicking is bog average. I think he'll kick as many 20/40s as he's kicked 40/20s. We know Shifty has been working with the boys but what affect that will have remains to be seen next season. Here's hoping to a big off season.

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That's irrelevant. There was nothing "surprising" about DWZ when he came over. We already knew he was the NZ captain, we already knew he was an aggressive ball runner, etc. He didn't demonstrate anything unknown or revolutionise the way we play. He's a good recruit but I'm far from convinced about him as a long-term option and fullback and for all we know he could spit the dummy again like he did at Penrith if things don't go his way.
Irrelevant??
I would regard a revelation as someone that changes the course and greatly improves a team..
That’s DWZ..
He instantly gave the team more confidence and it was evident straight away..
He showed his willingness for the team by running the ball back with no fear..it rubbed off on the other players..
He gained instant respect from the playing group and that is invaluable..
It is ridiculous to judge him on the future..he hasn’t spat the dummy here and has only showed class and professionalism since running out in the blue and white..
I think he would be captain in 2020 if Jacko moved on,but he is definitely 2nd in line with his leadership skills.
It’s not all about the tries..he lifts the whole team..that’s worth points in itself
Dog 4 Life

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Irrelevant??
I would regard a revelation as someone that changes the course and greatly improves a team..
That’s DWZ..
He instantly gave the team more confidence and it was evident straight away..
He showed his willingness for the team by running the ball back with no fear..it rubbed off on the other players..
He gained instant respect from the playing group and that is invaluable..
It is ridiculous to judge him on the future..he hasn’t spat the dummy here and has only showed class and professionalism since running out in the blue and white..
I think he would be captain in 2020 if Jacko moved on,but he is definitely 2nd in line with his leadership skills.
It’s not all about the tries..he lifts the whole team..that’s worth points in itself
Dog 4 Life
No it is all about tries, we score fuck all points and if he can't provide that at fullback for us next season we're going to have to find someone else that will. Don't get me wrong, he does some things at fullback very well but we simply need points and his ball running and ball playing is going to have to improve out of sight.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
"Revelation" lol calm down.
That's irrelevant. There was nothing "surprising" about DWZ when he came over. We already knew he was the NZ captain, we already knew he was an aggressive ball runner, etc. He didn't demonstrate anything unknown or revolutionise the way we play. He's a good recruit but I'm far from convinced about him as a long-term option and fullback and for all we know he could spit the dummy again like he did at Penrith if things don't go his way.
So you agree he's an aggressive ball runner, something we haven't had at fullback for a long time? And the fact he lifted the team morally, which is an attribute acquired by being a captain for his country, says a lot for the rest of our senior players prior to him joining the club.

So with all that said, your argument seems to suggest otherwise.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
So you agree he's an aggressive ball runner, something we haven't had at fullback for a long time? And the fact he lifted the team morally, which is an attribute acquired by being a captain for his country, says a lot for the rest of our senior players prior to him joining the club.

So with all that said, your argument seems to suggest otherwise.
I don't consider that a revelation because these are all things he has previously done at Penrith in the past. He hasn't outperformed my expectations just yet, guess that is more my point.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
I don't consider that a revelation because these are all things he has previously done at Penrith in the past. He hasn't outperformed my expectations just yet, guess that is more my point.
But I'm not even talking about what he has or hasn't done at Penrith. I'm only concerned what he does at our club and so far he has been a revelation to our team imo.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
No it is all about tries, we score fuck all points and if he can't provide that at fullback for us next season we're going to have to find someone else that will. Don't get me wrong, he does some things at fullback very well but we simply need points and his ball running and ball playing is going to have to improve out of sight.
Youre delusional if you think dwz is our problem hes the least of our problems once we have good halves and centres we will score points ,players like dwz go to the roisters not us so we are so lucky to have him and its no coincidence we started winning and we’re probably the form team of the comp once he joined us.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
But I'm not even talking about what he has or hasn't done at Penrith. I'm only concerned what he does at our club and so far he has been a revelation to our team imo.
How is he a revelation if he's doing something has previously done before?

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
How is he a revelation if he's doing something has previously done before?
He was on the outer and playing average at Penrith even Penrith fans were surprised at how well he played last year

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Youre delusional if you think dwz is our problem hes the least of our problems once we have good halves and centres we will score points ,players like dwz go to the roisters not us so we are so lucky to have him and its no coincidence we started winning and we’re probably the form team of the comp once he joined us.
"Go to the Roosters" lol. He sure as shit wouldn't go there because there's absolutely no chance they would play him at fullback in his current state, and that's not because Teddy is there.

People need to calm the fuck down on here, he lacks key skills for the role of fullback still and they also happen to be key weaknesses in our current side. People need to stop blowing their load because players run hard or tackle hard, he is still far form a long-term solution right now even though he's the best option.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He was on the outer and playing average at Penrith even Penrith fans were surprised at how well he played last year
And? He has played more than one year at Penrith and he has previously played at fullback..the issues he had towards the backend of his Penrith career have been reported.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
"Go to the Roosters" lol. He sure as shit wouldn't go there because there's absolutely no chance they would play him at fullback in his current state, and that's not because Teddy is there.

People need to calm the fuck down on here, he lacks key skills for the role of fullback still and they also happen to be key weaknesses in our current side. People need to stop blowing their load because players run hard or tackle hard, he is still far form a long-term solution right now even though he's the best option.
How about read this in the context they are written and not make something to suit your constant arguments,i said hes the “type” of player that normally go to the roosters ,the guy is a gun blind freddy can see this except for you and yes he runs hard but also keeps our defence super strong and lifts our team ,guess what billy slater also ran hard as does semi r as does klemmer as does taumalalo as did inglis but hey they must all be shit because your “in isolation “ critique of dwz just does take into account how good a player and the impact on the team dwz has on us ,once again hes not our problem in fact one of our weapons we need good centres and halves and he will get even better,in any case ill leave it at a well agree to disagree or this will go around in circles.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
He was a revelation for us as he changed the course of our season. In a season that wasn’t looking real good he gave us a huge lift. Like many we knew he had talent but what he brought to the playing group in terms of energy enthusiasm and leadership was more than I expected. Glad he is in the blue and white and hoping our next signing brings as much energy we will be heading in the right direction. Happy New Year all

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
How about read this in the context they are written and not make something to suit your constant arguments,i said hes the “type” of player that normally go to the roosters ,the guy is a gun blind freddy can see this except for you and yes he runs hard but also keeps our defence super strong and lifts our team ,guess what billy slater also ran hard as does semi r as does klemmer as does taumalalo as did inglis but hey they must all be shit because your “in isolation “ critique of dwz just does take into account how good a player and the impact on the team dwz has on us ,once again hes not our problem in fact one of our weapons we need good centres and halves and he will get even better,in any case ill leave it at a well agree to disagree or this will go around in circles.
We're going in circles because you refuse to accept the fact that spine players need to produce points and instead have warped some weird argument and made ridiculous claims.

DWZ can run as hard as he wants, tackle as hard as he wants, be as inspirational as much as he wants, but if he can't improve our attacking output then he isn't a solution at fullback, simple as that.

His ability as a ball runner and ball player is very limited. Yes he runs hard, yes he can attack the spaces Infront of him or beat a defender, but right now ask anything more from him and he struggles.

So no I don't think he is a bad player, I think he is a very good player but limited so have doubts over his longterm future in the fullback role. He can just as easily play centre or wing and still run as hard as he wants, tackle as hard as he wants and be as inspirational as he wants.

I'm just really having a hard time trying to understand why people are declaring certain players a dead certainty in the spine when not one of them has actually delivered what we need and are part of the worst performing spine in the competition.