Opinion Who do you think will have a breakout year for the Bulldogs???

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Another reason would be that certain players are going to get the chance to cement to spot first regardless of how anyone else is performing. It's as if there's this invisible que and players are stuck there serving time and waiting for injury to hit to get the opportunity.

For me it's simple, Averillo has massive wraps on him and the skills he has are things we greatly lack in the top squad. Our inability to score points is what needs to be addressed and bringing in a speedster that's a genuine ball runner and doubles as a centre/option is a no brainer. It's not as if players ahead of him are nailing the position and not making errors anyway.

Smith to centre just feels like a waste of time right now imo, we had all last season to give it a run yet Pay is considering it now when wingers are potentially going to be key with the new contested kick rule? We just feel so far off the pace with team selections and creating pathways for players.
Wouldn't it be better to let Averilo develop at half back like he should?
It's my guess that the idea being floated about Reimis to play centre has come about due to the lack of a strike centre at the club, and the desire to give the wing sots to Meaney and Okunbour. This is my hunch anyway.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Damn right I'm going to be critical. Every single half or 5/8 that's won a premiership in the last decade at least, isn't a known defensive player. At most they were average, which is why it's important to have players inside them that can do the job of cleaning up.
Yes there's other factors such as confidence (which I believe he has a lot of anyway) but even low confidence doesn't last for very long. At this point in time he hasn't got much to offer in regards to options imo.

But like you and many others, I hope his attack does improve.
True, but every half will tell you they need to get their defense in order, and the ones who simply cannot defend are either exceptional in attack and make it, while slowly improving their defense, or they are average in attack and never make it.
I believe that you can teach attack, but defense is a mindset. A willingness to put your body on the line.ewis at least does this, and he really isnt as bad as people make out in attack. Sure, he has a lot to learn, but with Sherwin at the club I'm sure this will happen.
At the end of the day, who ever is playing the best footy week in week out deserves their place in the team. So we will have to wait and see.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
'Finer details' I think is it. I'm quite sure the club wasn't willing to let top talent walk unless for good reason.
Could come back to bite - we'll have to see - hopefully not.
Yeah that’s fair enough
I suppose it’s like any large company it’s almost impossible to keep everybody on side all the time
Can imagine that there would be ego/attitude to deal with not to mention outside influences throwing in their 20 cents worth.
Anyway we have other good juniors coming through who will hopefully step up

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be better to let Averilo develop at half back like he should?
It's my guess that the idea being floated about Reimis to play centre has come about due to the lack of a strike centre at the club, and the desire to give the wing sots to Meaney and Okunbour. This is my hunch anyway.
Maybe? I personally think getting him into NRL level footy asap would be best for him and both us right now instead of just playing him in reserves for the next season or two.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. Didnt realise he was an aspiring coach. Bit silly to move your kids on for these reasons though.
It is a bit sad when parents get involved that way
This tends to be common practice for some reason even from an early age

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Can Elliot count as having a breakout year even though he has been in first grade for a while. ATM plays like a kid who just registered at his local district and is days away from his first footy game

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can Elliot count as having a breakout year even though he has been in first grade for a while. ATM plays like a kid who just registered at his local district and is days away from his first footy game
Let’s not get too catty with one of our own lol
Isn’t he part of the leadership group which makes him untouchable
Like a Goodfella in a way !

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It is a bit sad when parents get involved that way
This tends to be common practice for some reason even from an early age
So true. But you would think he would show a bit more loyalty given how many great years he had at the club.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe? I personally think getting him into NRL level footy asap would be best for him and both us right now instead of just playing him in reserves for the next season or two.
I think your getting a bit ahead of yourself there though. A ball hasn't even been kicked, and the preseason is barely half way through. Plenty could still happen. His form could be so good that he has to be picked.
In any case, you would think that if Averilo really is a quality halfback, then him and Wakeham will end up in the halves together.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think your getting a bit ahead of yourself there though. A ball hasn't even been kicked, and the preseason is barely half way through. Plenty could still happen. His form could be so good that he has to be picked.
In any case, you would think that if Averilo really is a quality halfback, then him and Wakeham will end up in the halves together.
I'm just going off what I've seen and been told. I don't know about going with two rookie halves, but it's defenitely an option down the track because on paper they would compliment each other well.

I just think we need to address key weaknesses in the side asap and Averillo fits the bill along with the inclusion of Wakeham and a few positional changes like Jackson to lock, etc. Obviously we can't go crazy and shake up the entire side and ask for too much from certain players, but we defenitely need to make a few key changes that will improve our try scoring potential.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm just going off what I've seen and been told. I don't know about going with two rookie halves, but it's defenitely an option down the track because on paper they would compliment each other well.

I just think we need to address key weaknesses in the side asap and Averillo fits the bill along with the inclusion of Wakeham and a few positional changes like Jackson to lock, etc. Obviously we can't go crazy and shake up the entire side and ask for too much from certain players, but we defenitely need to make a few key changes that will improve our try scoring potential.
Well I think Averilo needs to bide his time like everyone else. Harper was lucky to get a few games this year, but I dont think either of them are ready make the next step to fulltime fg next year.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
People keep rabbitting on about Jackson moving to the lock position. The reason
Jackson plays wide is to cover for the tackling deficiencies of the centres. He should stay right where he is.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
People keep rabbitting on about Jackson moving to the lock position. The reason
Jackson plays wide is to cover for the tackling deficiencies of the centres. He should stay right where he is.
Backrowers defend inside of the halves though. So they dont cover for their centres, they protect the halves.
Our centers really struggled defensively in 2018, and everyone was crucifying them, yet the halves they were defending next to were shocking. Frawley was terrible defensively.
One bonus of having a half that can defend extremely well, like Lewis, is that your defense can afford to be less compressed on his edge, which should help the whole defensive line to cover any second phase play that may occur.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
toomaga will have a breakout year and i hope RFM plays consistent footy commensurate with his talent.

TrioBench 1995

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Can’t see the wakeham thing it’s only Fiji not Fiji rugby,which he should play they’ll just run boppers at him all game (trouble sorry) and as far as okunbar is concerned he’s a cat for that size ,there’s 2 you can free up we want hard fuckers thank you !!!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Well I think Averilo needs to bide his time like everyone else. Harper was lucky to get a few games this year, but I dont think either of them are ready make the next step to fulltime fg next year.
Yh so let's persist with Montoya or Holland...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yh so let's persist with Montoya or Holland...
Both of them (Montyoa > Holland) are infront of Harper and Averillo. Reimis in the Centres and Okunbor on the Wing is the way to go. There's a decent chance Montoya will find a spot in the back line but I hope that isn't the case. Holland was dreadful this year, I was really excited to see him with the starting Centre spot (was great in 2018 off the bench and filling in the back line).