Opinion Who do you think will have a breakout year for the Bulldogs???

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
If anyone's a walk up halves starter it's Cogger imo. But then again we seem to win more games with Lewis for some reason, so wtf do I know? lol
Lewis's defense and work rate gets him picked.
This Harawira Naera guy keeps producing the goods

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m really hoping to see at least one of our halves step up and take control next year and give us some direction
Probably favouring either Lewis or Wakeham to take that role
It just feels like a long time since there has been genuine leadership
The rest of the boys would also follow that lead player

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Lewis's defense and work rate gets him picked.
This Harawira Naera guy keeps producing the goods
Halves are not bought/brought up purely for their defensive efforts. He's got enough capable players inside him to plug the holes. He needs more tricks up his sleeve. We all saw what happened in 2012...

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The breakout I most want to see is the breakout of fear in Cameron Smith's eyes when Okunbor runs repeatedly at him when we play Storms.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My vote goes to Ogden. Was really impressed with him this year. Can’t believe he isn’t being talked about more tbh.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
My vote goes to Ogden. Was really impressed with him this year. Can’t believe he isn’t being talked about more tbh.
Its sad that dean will pick c smith over him such a waste

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Halves are not bought/brought up purely for their defensive efforts. He's got enough capable players inside him to plug the holes. He needs more tricks up his sleeve. We all saw what happened in 2012...
Lewis was only brought back onto the side to defensively handle Burgess because he did it before... At that point Cogger had done absolutely nothing to warrant being dropped. So yeah Lewis was selected due to defence and it's all he's got atm

Last edited:

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Well how come Lewis was only brought back onto the side to defensively handle Burgess because he did it before... At that point Cogger had done absolutely nothing to warrant being dropped. So yeah Lewis was selected due to defence and it's all he's got atm
Agreed. As mentioned in another post, if anyone is a walk up out of the 3 it's Cogger.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Agreed. As mentioned in another post, if anyone is a walk up out of the 3 it's Cogger.
Agree. I know wakeham plays 7 but id prefer Cogger to steer the ship and have Wakeham just play on instinct and not worry to much about looking after anyone but himself for a while

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Breakouts for mine are Meaney. If he builds confidence and the team plays well look for the after burners to be seen more regularly. I can see Meaney becoming a classy finisher. Other one to watch is Remis Smith. Can’t help but feel we haven’t seen close to the best from him. Could have a blinder in the centres and look for his speed to go up a few notches

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m really hoping to see at least one of our halves step up and take control next year and give us some direction
Probably favouring either Lewis or Wakeham to take that role
It just feels like a long time since there has been genuine leadership
The rest of the boys would also follow that lead player
I feel as though Lewis and Cogger are probably the more settled halves pairing, but we all know that we desperately need some points. So we need some creativity, some unpredictability, and this is why I think Wakeham needs to be given a shot.
But who knows who it will be. Imagine if it was Wakeham and Averilo. Lol

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think people are overly critical of him in this regard. The whole team failed to sparkle in attack this year. Now I know the halves are meant to create, but there are always other factors. Lack of confidence from losing so often, forwards not getting the ascendancy, and yes, not great attack from the halves. And before Marley mentions his usual rhetoric of making excuses for him, these are just realities, and with a big off season we could see a vastly improved attacking game by Lewis. Lets hope so anyway.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He did seem to come into his own towards the end of the year. The whole team did. If we can begin the year how we ended it last year, then hopefully they can a step it up a gear.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Breakouts for mine are Meaney. If he builds confidence and the team plays well look for the after burners to be seen more regularly. I can see Meaney becoming a classy finisher. Other one to watch is Remis Smith. Can’t help but feel we haven’t seen close to the best from him. Could have a blinder in the centres and look for his speed to go up a few notches
We definitely didnt see the best of Reimis this year. If we dont sign a classy outside back and they move him to centre, it could be a real turning point.
Everybody wants to see us sign JAC or LM, but I'm. Ore then happy to see this:

1. DWZ
2. Meaney
3. Hoppa
4. Reimis
5. Okunbour

Or

1. DWZ
2. Okunbour
3. Hoppa
4. Averilo/Harper
5. Reimis

Or

1. DWZ
2. Meaney
3. Hoppa
4. Averilo/Harper
5. Reimis

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
We definitely didnt see the best of Reimis this year. If we dont sign a classy outside back and they move him to centre, it could be a real turning point.

1. DWZ
2. Meaney
3. Hoppa
4. Reimis
5. Okunbour

Or

1. DWZ
2. Okunbour
3. Hoppa
4. Averilo/Harper
5. Reimis

Or

1. DWZ
2. Meaney
3. Hoppa
4. Averilo/Harper
5. Reimis
#3 for me for Round 1, with Harper. Have to slowly blood Averillo in :-)

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

1. DWZ
2. Meaney
3. Hoppa
4. Reimis
5. Okunbour

Or

1. DWZ
2. Okunbour
3. Hoppa
4. Averilo/Harper
5. Reimis

Or

1. DWZ
2. Meaney
3. Hoppa
4. Averilo/Harper
5. Reimis

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I dont think Averilo will see fg for most of the year, barring injuries. But I hope to see him in the frame at some point.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah I dont think Averilo will see fg for most of the year, barring injuries. But I hope to see him in the frame at some point.
I don't see why not, in his few games in reserves he outperformed Harper easily and showed genuine pace and ability with the ball in hand. Tommy Talau probably would've spent most the year in Flegg with us yet he made his NRL debut with the Tigers this year and is set to start the season in the 13. Our club and some of our fanbase is so fearful of promoting youth.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: aiden tolman easily.... his kicking on the last after taking 4th tackle settler will be game changer

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I don't see why not, in his few games in reserves he outperformed Harper easily and showed genuine pace and ability with the ball in hand. Tommy Talau probably would've spent most the year in Flegg with us yet he made his NRL debut with the Tigers this year and is set to start the season in the 13. Our club and some of our fanbase is so fearful of promoting youth.
Interesting point you raise - but there has to be reasons other than 'fear'. I'm not afraid of promoting anyone if they can handle the job - I guess the trick is not expecting too much too soon and blowing the confidence of the young fellas. Fair step up from reggies to NRL level not to be overstated. I guess it has to happen at some point.