Opinion Who do you think will have a breakout year for the Bulldogs???

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Renouf basically has to have a beak out year in my opinion. He’s 25 now and had it’s a case of now or never.
I agree. But being a prop forward he is actually ttacking quite normally as far as his progression is concerned.
Sure enough there are plenty of forwards around his age that never make it, but he has definitely shown enough to make you think this wont be the case with him.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good post mate.
I’d like to see a few progressions:

- DWZ: organise, run, support.
- Jacko to return to top form (at #13).
- Meaney to own the wing and show the pace we know he’s got.
- Some young fellas to earn and own their spots: Harper or Averillo in the centres, Wakeham/Cogger/Lewis to develop a halves partnership that works.
- Napa/To’omaga up front.
- Stimson to give us creative go forward.

Am I asking too much??
I think we have some good improvement in us and can force into the 8 in 2020.
Cheers mate.
Nah, not too much. Its Christmas after all! Lol

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I really think JMK will have a season to remember, playing at 9 suits him and he has been on the improve with every game he has played, needs to be flogged during pre-season training so he is able to play longer minutes. His biggest issue will be staying injury-free and hopefully having a bumper season.
He is definitely one to watch for mine!! I think he really progressed well this year. Even made a rep team. So good on him!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He will have to play out of his skin to be rewarded with a starting spot, so fingers crossed he can. Allthough he is not my first pick for our edge forwards.
Who's your backrow? I don't see why we shouldn't be starting with Jackson at lock and CHN and Stimson on the edges. No point in buying Stimson if he isn't starting on an edge imo.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He is definitely one to watch for mine!! I think he really progressed well this year. Even made a rep team. So good on him!
No one was happier then I was that we missed out on Api and passed on Levi and Isaac Luke. I've seen enough of JMK to know that he can make the 9 position his own and be very dominant in that position. He reminds me a lot of Damien cook in that he has really good speed out of dummy half and a good kicking game. His defensive efforts were second to none and he doesn't shy away from hard work. JMK is on peanuts atm which is another positive and with experience and hard work he will only get better. This season will definitely be one to make or break him before the Bulldogs go on a massive spending spree for the 2021 season and i hope he takes it with both hands.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who's your backrow? I don't see why we shouldn't be starting with Jackson at lock and CHN and Stimson on the edges. No point in buying Stimson if he isn't starting on an edge imo.
That's not my choice to make. But if Dean decides to move jackson to lock, then yes, Stimson definitely comes into the frame for an edge spot. I suspect that he might leave the decision of where Jackson plays up to him though.
We will have to wait and see.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
That's not my choice to make. But if Dean decides to move jackson to lock, then yes, Stimson definitely comes into the frame for an edge spot. I suspect that he might leave the decision of where Jackson plays up to him though.
We will have to wait and see.
True, I could easily see Pay keeping him on an edge for 80 because he's captain and he feels he needs to keep him out there...no need for that considering we have someone like DWZ in the team now.

If Jackson wants to play there then that could be an issue...we need him more at lock than on an edge with the team we have and Jackson in all honesty just isn't good enough to demand certain positions.

Klopp played Henderson away from his preferred positon for ages because that is where the team needed him most, even with Henderson wanting the play in his preferred role Klopp never buckled and Henderson still went out and did the job asked of him. Fast forward and we're now Champions League winners and leading the EPL with Henderson still switching positions and playing where the team needs him most.

This is potentially an opportunity for Pay to be firm and if the results follow then it could be a small milestone in his coaching career and something he can build off.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No one was happier then I was that we missed out on Api and passed on Levi and Isaac Luke. I've seen enough of JMK to know that he can make the 9 position his own and be very dominant in that position. He reminds me a lot of Damien cook in that he has really good speed out of dummy half and a good kicking game. His defensive efforts were second to none and he doesn't shy away from hard work. JMK is on peanuts atm which is another positive and with experience and hard work he will only get better. This season will definitely be one to make or break him before the Bulldogs go on a massive spending spree for the 2021 season and i hope he takes it with both hands.
I agree on all points. I get the feeling he is quite humble, and genuinely appreciated the chance he has been given at our club, and the faith that Pay has shown in him. I suspect this will allow us to hold on to him easily enough moving forward, without breaking the bank. Especially when you look at his other options at the time, demolition labourer, or fulltime professional NRL player. Geez, hard choice.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
True, I could easily see Pay keeping him on an edge for 80 because he's captain and he feels he needs to keep him out there...no need for that considering we have someone like DWZ in the team now.

If Jackson wants to play there then that could be an issue...we need him more at lock than on an edge with the team we have and Jackson in all honesty just isn't good enough to demand certain positions.

Klopp played Henderson away from his preferred positon for ages because that is where the team needed him most, even with Henderson wanting the play in his preferred role Klopp never buckled and Henderson still went out and did the job asked of him. Fast forward and we're now Champions League winners and leading the EPL with Henderson still switching positions and playing where the team needs him most.

This is potentially an opportunity for Pay to be firm and if the results follow then it could be a small milestone in his coaching career and something he can build off.
The analogy went right over my head since I dont follow that crap, but I agree, and I doubt that Jackson is the type of player or person to make such demands. We will just have to wait this one out i guess.
And given the for RFM has shown playing in the middle, it looks as though that's where he will stay. So Stimson and CHN become our best options.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree. But being a prop forward he is actually ttacking quite normally as far as his progression is concerned.
Sure enough there are plenty of forwards around his age that never make it, but he has definitely shown enough to make you think this wont be the case with him.
For sure he has a golden chance to stamp himself as a NRL player this year. I think he is behind the 8 ball as far as his development goes he should have had a few seasons as a regular on the bench pushing for a start by his age. He’s played far to much reserve grade and if he plays more reggies then NRL in 2020 then he’s really going to struggle to make it. Hopefully he can start the season and take Fualalo’s bench spot.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The analogy went right over my head since I dont follow that crap, but I agree, and I doubt that Jackson is the type of player or person to make such demands. We will just have to wait this one out i guess.
And given the for RFM has shown playing in the middle, it looks as though that's where he will stay. So Stimson and CHN become our best options.
Henderson is Liverpool's captain and the champions league is the biggest comp in Europe, so basically the captain done what he was told and didn't use his position as captain to influence the side.

Yh RFM through the middle is perfect for us, footwork, power and the ability to offload. To'omaga again with a similar skillset. Really need them to help balance out Tolman and Napa. Jackson is also suited to running in back behind the ruck and picking up quick play the balls...overall our forward pack should be more than good enough next season if a few players improve and continue to develop.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JMK is progressing really well IMO. He was moved around a lot when he first started with us, but since he has started at hooker he has consistently progressed. His running game has been pretty impressive, and you cant question his defense given he has never consistently played in the middle. His timing in regards to when he he should run has also improved, and I believe that we are starting to see the quality tha Pay saw in him to begin with.
The only way is up for him.
Agree JMK has improved in the skills you mentioned but he’s still too slow passing out of dummy half IMO. If he can fix that he can have a big year. I expect Wakeham, Toomaga and Stimson to shine in 2020.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One guy who will surprise a lot is Sione Katoa. He will slot into the 9 nicely. He offers more than the other candidates.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Anything other than this is a failure from Pay imo. If i see Elliot at lock and Jackson on the edge I'll be pissed

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yea, Wakeham, to’omaga and maybe okunbour if we’re able to exploit the “no tackling in the air” rule.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Really hard to pick one tbh. I'd probably say Wakeham or Stimson but Wakeham probably won't be in the team round one and Stimson probably off the bench. I hope Reimis, Lewis and RFM have a big year.