Fox: Predicted Dogs Spine

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we will know very early in the piece if there's been improvement over the off season and there's going to have to be for us to get anywhere near the 8.

Pay has really got to grow some balls and avoid the soft options when it comes to team selection if he chooses the Hollands, Montoyas and C Smiths then he will be digging his own grave.
Well said and adding to that my mind will be almost made up by round 6
Dean will be under the microscope big time

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well said and adding to that my mind will be almost made up by round 6
Dean will be under the microscope big time
I really hope he does get them firing early and he goes on to be a successful coach here but I'd be lying if I was confident that he will.

bulldogs2015

Waterboy
Reaction score
Sorry mate, can't agree. 2018 was massively disruptive.

Between mid 2018 and the start of 2019, we lost ~1135 games of NRL experience: Mbye ~100 / Woods ~170 / Morris ~235 / Morris ~260 / Klemmer ~110 / Eastwood ~260.
Doesn't matter how good we thought any individual was or where they were in their careers - that's a huge amount of first grade experience we did not take into 2019.
And yet the 2019 team with far less experience still came within ONE game of the finals.

I haven't done the numbers between 2019 and 2020 in terms of who's left and who's come in - but easy to say it is not even close to the amount of experience lost/gained between 2019/2020 as opposed to 2018/2019.
So I think it's a HUGE difference - and we shouldn't be so hard on them.

I do agree however that we have to start 2020 strong (let's hope much of the end of 2019 momentum carries over) and if we haven't won at least half of our first 10 games, questions will be asked and changes will have to be made. Possibly why the club only extended Pay for 1 season - to provide flexibility around 2020/2021 as needed.
To give you a heads up mate one win out of the 8 due to the team's better than us played shit and the team's I'm talking about has improved with there roster ‍♂

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah, i didn't say we'd run last. I think 8th would be a big accomplishment but on paper i reckon we are probably below 8
8 is where we should be finishing, any lower and it's a failure. Two extra wins that were easily attainable last season against Manly and Raiders missing key players and we could've been there. Most teams are shit in the NRL these days.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
8 is where we should be finishing, any lower and it's a failure. Two extra wins that were easily attainable last season against Manly and Raiders missing key players and we could've been there. Most teams are shit in the NRL these days.
It doesn't work like that. A change in the present = a change in the future... Did you see how the team played against the Cowboys when the pressure was actually on?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
1. Melbourne
2. Roosters
3. Canberra
4. Souths
5. Parra
6. Manly
7. St George

Thats 7 strong sides that (on paper) we will be hard to finish in front of. Is it possible, sure, but the reality is these sides have the better team. That's just factual. No bagging our boys...... it's a hard task and alot of players need to play their best with some calls to go our way for once
Yes but you are now a bleater...sorry to say!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It doesn't work like that. A change in the present = a change in the future... Did you see how the team played against the Cowboys when the pressure was actually on?
That's a totally different issue. If the team doesn't perform when it matters then Pay should be sacked, end of.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 2012.....grand final... Barba, Reynolds , Keating and Ennis .... probably didn’t rate that highly on pre-season lists either (though wouldn’t have been 16th ranked I concede). Our blokes will be fine. Another year of experience. I think the 8 in in reach!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
That's a totally different issue. If the team doesn't perform when it matters then Pay should be sacked, end of.
I mean if we won one of those games the next and following weeks would of panned out differently meaning it's possible that the run we had wouldn't of existed. The team didn't start to get wins until we were as close to mathematically out of it without being mathematically out of it. When we were favourites in games (I picked us three times - one being the Cowboys game I mentioned) we didn't get the result. It's just a weak mentality from the WHOLE club and that's due to lack of success and inexperience. We're not in the winners circle anymore.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We were never going to beat the Cows in their last game at their home ground have another watch and youll know what I mean!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I mean if we won one of those games the next and following weeks would of panned out differently meaning it's possible that the run we had wouldn't of existed. The team didn't start to get wins until we were as close to mathematically out of it without being mathematically out of it. When we were favourites in games (I picked us three times - one being the Cowboys game I mentioned) we didn't get the result. It's just a weak mentality from the WHOLE club and that's due to lack of success and inexperience. We're not in the winners circle anymore.
It's possible, but the point is that we've seen the level that some of our players are able to perform at and it's Pays job to get those performances out of them early season and on a regular basis, not just when the pressures off....if he can't do that then he's gone and someone else needs to come in and do the job.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It's possible, but the point is that we've seen the level that some of our players are able to perform at and it's Pays job to get those performances out of them early season and on a regular basis, not just when the pressures off....if he can't do that then he's gone and someone else needs to come in and do the job.
I agree just we have different expectations. For me if Pay and the team avoids bottom four they've done almost all they could of (roster, current situation). If we achieved this and Pay does get the sack still then I think it's a brutal approach from the board (which we probably should do if I'm being real even tho it's a little unfair). If they did it'd be a top coach which would have to be around Flanagan level (how many coaches like this are available?).

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've got hope of cracking 7th or 8th spot for next season, this squad has spent enough time with one another now and a great pre-season without disruption should fare the team in a better position than 2018 and 2019. Pay has to find a way for this squad to use the momentum from last year and make them believe in themselves to be able to not only compete but grind out wins regularly.

I do believe this is also make or break for Pay so he should leave no stone unturned to cement his own coaching future and get the Bulldogs off to a cracking start.

#ProudToBeaBulldog

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
We are underestimating the strike power that is about to develop early in the season thanks to last year, and in particular the last 6 games. We didn’t fluke 12th last year - we may come close to the 8 if we stay gelled and our young ones develop cooler heads thanks to experience.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Unless we’re 6-0 :-) Too optimistic? :-)
Mate, please follow the script..

1. Dogs to be 5 wins from first 6 games to start the season

19. Dogs win comp after coming from 8th. Lachlan Lewis kicks winning field goal in extra time after setting up the draw at full time via a 30 metre cut out pass to Dally M winger of the year Okunbor.

Jeeeeezz....

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No, we should be pushing for the 8. The rest of the side is more than good enough to push for that final spot while the quality of sides around us is also low.
Finally some sense from you.