Fox: Predicted Dogs Spine

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We’ve also improved the squad for next season too
Indeed we have.

But let’s just focus on the negatives, some love getting off on it. First thing they do when they get home is kick their dog

silva

Utility
Reaction score
In 20 yrs halves will be as athletic as putside backs. Some of the halves in the comp are such a waste. They should offer as much of a running threat as ballplaying. Coaches are living in the past

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
To counter this point you could have said the exact same thing after 2018 and look what happened. Without any major roster changes I honestly have no idea what to expect but there is no way a slow start can be tolerated and heads have to roll if we have don’t win at least 5 games after 10 weeks.
Sorry mate, can't agree. 2018 was massively disruptive.

Between mid 2018 and the start of 2019, we lost ~1135 games of NRL experience: Mbye ~100 / Woods ~170 / Morris ~235 / Morris ~260 / Klemmer ~110 / Eastwood ~260.
Doesn't matter how good we thought any individual was or where they were in their careers - that's a huge amount of first grade experience we did not take into 2019.
And yet the 2019 team with far less experience still came within ONE game of the finals.

I haven't done the numbers between 2019 and 2020 in terms of who's left and who's come in - but easy to say it is not even close to the amount of experience lost/gained between 2019/2020 as opposed to 2018/2019.
So I think it's a HUGE difference - and we shouldn't be so hard on them.

I do agree however that we have to start 2020 strong (let's hope much of the end of 2019 momentum carries over) and if we haven't won at least half of our first 10 games, questions will be asked and changes will have to be made. Possibly why the club only extended Pay for 1 season - to provide flexibility around 2020/2021 as needed.

Last edited:

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: sounds like Jamie Soward’s prediction ..... like milkman

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Melbourne
2. Roosters
3. Canberra
4. Souths
5. Parra
6. Manly
7. St George

Thats 7 strong sides that (on paper) we will be hard to finish in front of. Is it possible, sure, but the reality is these sides have the better team. That's just factual. No bagging our boys...... it's a hard task and alot of players need to play their best with some calls to go our way for once

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry mate, can't agree. 2018 was massively disruptive.

Between mid 2018 and the start of 2019, we lost ~1135 games of NRL experience: Mbye ~100 games / Woods ~170 games / Morris ~235 games / Morris ~260 games / Klemmer ~110 games / Eastwood ~260 games
Doesn't matter how good we thought any individual was or where they were in their careers - that's a huge amount of first grade experience we did not take into 2019.
And yet the 2019 team with far less experience still came within ONE game of the finals.

I haven't done the numbers between 2019 and 2020 in terms of who's left and who's come in - but easy to say it is not even close to the amount of experience lost/gained between 2019/2020 as opposed to 2018/2019.
So I think it's a HUGE difference - and we shouldn't be so hard on them.

I do agree however that we have to start 2020 strong (let's hope much of the end of 2019 momentum carries over) and if we haven't won at least half of our first 10 games, questions will be asked and changes will have to be made. Possibly why the club only extended Pay for 1 season - to provide flexibility around 2020/2021 as needed.
Only the Morris brothers and Klemmer were the ones missing because Mbye, Woods and Eastwood were gone half way through the year in 18 when we were struggling and things improved once they moved on or went to reggies. So they showed at the end of 2018 that they could manage to some degree. Of course missing the twins and Klemmer would have had some effect I’m not denying that but it shouldn’t have been been as bad as it was.

I don’t put a great deal of weight in finishing one win out of the eight either. Our season was over with 10 weeks remaining and once that pressure was removed we started to improve. Yes I know we had that glimmer of hope towards the end of the year but then we blew the first real game with anything riding on it.

Pay needs to get this team to string wins together when there’s money on the table so to speak and the jury is still out if he ever will get them to do that.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
1. Melbourne
2. Roosters
3. Canberra
4. Souths
5. Parra
6. Manly
7. St George

Thats 7 strong sides that (on paper) we will be hard to finish in front of. Is it possible, sure, but the reality is these sides have the better team. That's just factual. No bagging our boys...... it's a hard task and alot of players need to play their best with some calls to go our way for once
Anything can happen though mate.
Dragons predicted for 2019 top 8 and finished 15th. Eels semi finalists in 2017 took the spoon in 2018 and bounced back for 2019.

Injuries, scandals, whatever it might be.
Never say never - especially now that we’re almost at the end of the tunnel.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Only the Morris brothers and Klemmer were the ones missing because Mbye, Woods and Eastwood were gone half way through the year in 18 when we were struggling and things improved once they moved on or went to reggies. So they showed at the end of 2018 that they could manage to some degree. Of course missing the twins and Klemmer would have had some effect I’m not denying that but it shouldn’t have been been as bad as it was.

I don’t put a great deal of weight in finishing one win out of the eight either. Our season was over with 10 weeks remaining and once that pressure was removed we started to improve. Yes I know we had that glimmer of hope towards the end of the year but then we blew the first real game with anything riding on it.

Pay needs to get this team to string wins together when there’s money on the table so to speak and the jury is still out if he ever will get them to do that.
I don’t disagree with you on Pay - unless the team fires in 2020 it’s hard to see him at the helm in 2021. I hope he does it, but it’s going to be up to him, his staff and the players to get there.

As for the game that mattered, I reckon the conditions worked against us. It was a warm night in Townsville and we gassed too early. Yes, winning teams have to overcome those obstacles but I can’t help but think if that game was in Sydney (home or not) it could’ve been different. Anyway - onwards.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1. Melbourne
2. Roosters
3. Canberra
4. Souths
5. Parra
6. Manly
7. St George

I think your top 4 are locked into the 8. However, the others you mentioned are no better than the Dogs,
and it will be a struggle for all of them. I like our chances.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything can happen though mate.
Dragons predicted for 2019 top 8 and finished 15th. Eels semi finalists in 2017 took the spoon in 2018 and bounced back for 2019.

Injuries, scandals, whatever it might be.
Never say never - especially now that we’re almost at the end of the tunnel.
No doubt to that mate. I have faith that the boys are all united and are going to be busting their asses for us fans in 2020. I was at the meet a couple of weeks back and all the lads seem keen to go and were in a good mood. No egos so to speak.
Just saying It will be a big task to make the 8

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think your top 4 are locked into the 8. However, the others you mentioned are no better than the Dogs,
and it will be a struggle for all of them. I like our chances.
Fair call mate. I think Parra have a pretty decent side aswell as Manly and fuck knows what happened to dragons last season.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully we’ve had our major injury already. Guaranteed a significant number of those spines will change for a large period of 2020 through injury/suspension/no-fault standdown etc, let alone form.

Making a call on next year’s results is about as fruitful as media speculation on dogs signings

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We can finish 1st and win the Grand Final next year. It just isn't realistic, nor is top eight. Before a ball is kicked we're expected to finish second last... I think we'll finish outside the bottom four (~12th) and we should be happy with that. Anything above that the team and coaching staff deserves all the praise they get - probably none as too many fans are placing their expectations too high. Until we start strengthening our squad with actual game changes or promising developed talent is brought in (from reserves or lower) we're praying on a miracle. It honestly isn't negative it's just the reality. Regardless of the situation we're in we should all support the team and ride every game with them knowing we have a chance of winning. As long as the effort is there that's all we can ask from them.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don’t disagree with you on Pay - unless the team fires in 2020 it’s hard to see him at the helm in 2021. I hope he does it, but it’s going to be up to him, his staff and the players to get there.

As for the game that mattered, I reckon the conditions worked against us. It was a warm night in Townsville and we gassed too early. Yes, winning teams have to overcome those obstacles but I can’t help but think if that game was in Sydney (home or not) it could’ve been different. Anyway - onwards.
I think we will know very early in the piece if there's been improvement over the off season and there's going to have to be for us to get anywhere near the 8.

Pay has really got to grow some balls and avoid the soft options when it comes to team selection if he chooses the Hollands, Montoyas and C Smiths then he will be digging his own grave.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I think we will know very early in the piece if there's been improvement over the off season and there's going to have to be for us to get anywhere near the 8.

Pay has really got to grow some balls and avoid the soft options when it comes to team selection if he chooses the Hollands, Montoyas and C Smiths then he will be digging his own grave.
Agree - it’s not just half the squad playing for 2021 deals in 2020 - the coach is too - and I’m sure he’s smart enough to know that and do what it takes to get the team to fire. If collectively they can’t get there, we’ll have to find people who can get us there.