Tigers and the Bulldogs are leading the chase for Josh Addo-Carr

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Melbourne: Melbourne are now near the slumps so everyone is bailing on them. You can't say that they can recruit better when they are letting everyone go.

Canberra: Yes they got Scott but they are in big S.C debt. They can't even put in a good offer for Wighton.

South's: Mark my words, they will blow all their GI and Burgess cash on Walker, Arrow and Mitchell.

Parra: Parra have spent most of their cash on players already and have near to none left for next year.

Roosters: I can't come up with anything, they will get everything.

Other teams like Newcastle, Penrith, Manly, Cronulla, Broncos, Warriors, Dragons and Titans have salary cap issues as well as the Cowboys, but you could debate that.

Out of all marquee players I would say that without a doubt us and the Tigers have the best shot and who would like to go to a ninth placed team with no major success in sight?
I thought the club only has $400k left under salary cap for 2020?

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Meaney couldn’t tie up dwz shoe laces.
Maybe when he grows some balls and actually puts his body on the line we can put them both in the same sentence.
3/4 of his tries my pop could’ve scored seriously.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Meaney couldn’t tie up dwz shoe laces.
Maybe when he grows some balls and actually puts his body on the line we can put them both in the same sentence.
3/4 of his tries my pop could’ve scored seriously.
Yeah; but he has speed - and that's all Addo-Carr has too.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
For the cost of Carr I’d prefer Meaney on the wing. Safe under the high ball has speed and kicks goals. Was excellent at the end of the season.

if Carr is coming at the expense of Okonbur and Smith to center then that’s excellent. Okonbur should play AFL with those hands

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yeah; but he has speed - and that's all Addo-Carr has too.
Nah Ive played with plenty of indigenous talent, it's not just speed man... It's confidence and a natural instinct for directing themselves to open space. They are a different breed and are good to have in your side.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Sancho2020 is a perfect example, anyone would think that LL tried to date his sister or something...
After Josh Reynolds dumped her? haha jokes Marley

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The debate about DWZ vs Meaney is an interesting one when you talk about capping their skills. Because it's almost impossible to know what either player is capable of learning.

As far as Meaney goes, he doesn't seem to have the natural large athletic build that DWZ has. So stepping into the NRL saw him easily contained by the forwards. But he's certainly not lacking in courage. He reminds me of a young Billy Slater with his lack of self preservation in attacking the high ball. His support play could use improvement. But if he adds some size to his frame and a bit of confidence, what he tries in attack might be more affective. I liked seeing him gain attacking confidence on the wing late in the season and I hope he keeps building that confidence and adds some size. He's definitely got ability, but might have benefited from a little more time developing in the lower grades.

DWZ seems to excel in two areas. His support play is very good. He runs the ball hard and has the size to make that useful. Aside from that he is more than solid in pretty much all the basic skills a fullback requires. I consider playmaking ability to be a bonus in a fullback, and he's not a player that seems to look at setting up support players instinctively. But since we're comparing him and Meaney, I didn't notice that as an instinctive trait Meaney posessed either.

So it's difficult to say that in a couple of years that either player will be the more complete package. For now I think DWZ is our first choice at fullback due to his physical advantages. But hopefully Meaney fills out a bit more and keeps growing in confidence. I certainly don't think we should rule him out as a potentially great fullback. Not every player makes their debut when they're physically ready and Meaney probably could have used a bit more time filling out before being promoted.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The debate about DWZ vs Meaney is an interesting one when you talk about capping their skills. Because it's almost impossible to know what either player is capable of learning.

As far as Meaney goes, he doesn't seem to have the natural large athletic build that DWZ has. So stepping into the NRL saw him easily contained by the forwards. But he's certainly not lacking in courage. He reminds me of a young Billy Slater with his lack of self preservation in attacking the high ball. His support play could use improvement. But if he adds some size to his frame and a bit of confidence, what he tries in attack might be more affective. I liked seeing him gain attacking confidence on the wing late in the season and I hope he keeps building that confidence and adds some size. He's definitely got ability, but might have benefited from a little more time developing in the lower grades.

DWZ seems to excel in two areas. His support play is very good. He runs the ball hard and has the size to make that useful. Aside from that he is more than solid in pretty much all the basic skills a fullback requires. I consider playmaking ability to be a bonus in a fullback, and he's not a player that seems to look at setting up support players instinctively. But since we're comparing him and Meaney, I didn't notice that as an instinctive trait Meaney posessed either.

So it's difficult to say that in a couple of years that either player will be the more complete package. For now I think DWZ is our first choice at fullback due to his physical advantages. But hopefully Meaney fills out a bit more and keeps growing in confidence. I certainly don't think we should rule him out as a potentially great fullback. Not every player makes their debut when they're physically ready and Meaney probably could have used a bit more time filling out before being promoted.
Good summary. Unsure why so many were so harsh on Meaney. He's young, he was learning and he was pretty reliable under the high ball and in defence at fullback. Yeah sure, he didn't attack and organise that much, but again - young and learning - a confidence thing.
Initially he didn't set the world on fire on the wing either, but we saw at the back of the season his confidence growing and he scored 6 tries in the last few games - some against teams that made the 8.
When I spoke to him a the Member forum he was super keen for a big 2020 on the wing - said he'd been working with Reimis and was pumped. I hope he goes really well, puts on some extra strength and let his pace shine (he has it).

DWZ brought some attacking and organising flare that we'd been missing out back for a while - even with Hoppa (reliable, but not setting the world on fire wearing #1). With a full pre-seaon under his belt in the Dogs system hopefully he carries and even improves what we saw of him in 2019.

So I'd agree it's DWZ fullback and Meaney wing for now. Meaney will make a handy backup at #1 if needed.
Let's see where 2020 takes them both before determining much beyond that...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Chill Mike, I was not directing my love towards you. (Dont start shaping a new shiv..) I am more venting my spleen at the need by many on here to shit bag our own. We all have opinions on who is best in whatever position or coach, but that doesn't or shouldn't mean we instantly use circle jerk or jizz fest to reference those who differ.

Sancho2020 is a perfect example, anyone would think that LL tried to date his sister or something... You dont like his game? cool. Like Frawley, soon or later he will get found out and moved on. In this case I think the opposite, I reckon he is footballer and will find his place in the side.

If you think that makes me part of a jizz fest or a circle jerk.... well.... uuummm

Fuck off.
EXCUSE ME!

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So this thread is about Addo Carr??

But we are debating whose better our of meaney and dwz??? Smh...

Anyway so when are roosters announcing Addo Carr for 2020?

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Melbourne: Melbourne are now near the slumps so everyone is bailing on them. You can't say that they can recruit better when they are letting everyone go.

Canberra: Yes they got Scott but they are in big S.C debt. They can't even put in a good offer for Wighton.

South's: Mark my words, they will blow all their GI and Burgess cash on Walker, Arrow and Mitchell.

Parra: Parra have spent most of their cash on players already and have near to none left for next year.

Roosters: I can't come up with anything, they will get everything.

Other teams like Newcastle, Penrith, Manly, Cronulla, Broncos, Warriors, Dragons and Titans have salary cap issues as well as the Cowboys, but you could debate that.

Out of all marquee players I would say that without a doubt us and the Tigers have the best shot and who would like to go to a ninth placed team with no major success in sight?
Lol who is this ****?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So this thread is about Addo Carr??

But we are debating whose better our of meaney and dwz??? Smh...

Anyway so when are roosters announcing Addo Carr for 2020?
It's not even a debate tho. Meaney most likely won't be in our side when we're actually competitive again. If you look at our team now he's our second best Winger (behind Reimis) but we're going to need to sign one to two players in the backs if we're serious about competing (scoring more points, creating more opportunities, etc). He did improve a lot on the Wing this year but I'm not expecting him to be our Winger solution - next year is make or break for him and it's in his control.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Some food for thought.

With the changes to contested kicks where the defender is not allowed to tackle the attacker in the air, what if the meta changes? Will a dominant winger in the air be more valuable than a pacey finisher? Who needs fancy plays when you can just march upfield and get in position to put an accurate kick towards your winger multiple times a game for multiple tries. Kind of feel this is why we should be keeping Smith on the wing and not even bother with trialing him at centre and why Okunbor should start the season in reserves until he fixes up this area of his game along with a few others. Will Lachlan Lewis be the goat if he can perfect a cross field kick??!!!!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wake up mate I'm not saying shit about either of them actually happy to have them both in the team. Sorry I'm not a blind support that will circle jerk over any player lol
Funny how you felt implicated by his comment then!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Funny how you felt implicated by his comment then!
But that's simply not true as you can read my previous comments stating I'm more then happy for DWZ to be fullback next season and possibly even the year after. I like Meaney, but I know what's best for the team and right now it's DWZ at fullback. Fact is people be getting uptight at anyone who questions DWZ, plain and simple he's an effort player.