Tigers and the Bulldogs are leading the chase for Josh Addo-Carr

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
I don't know whether to believe that or not as surely the club knows it can't recruit like the Roosters and Storm (with Raiders, Eels and Rabbitohs right behind them). There is almost no point going for top talent if we're going to offer like that -there are always going to be other clubs in a better position offering the same or clubs around the same level offering more then us. It's very hard to see us signing anyone with that method in our current situation.
Melbourne: Melbourne are now near the slumps so everyone is bailing on them. You can't say that they can recruit better when they are letting everyone go.

Canberra: Yes they got Scott but they are in big S.C debt. They can't even put in a good offer for Wighton.

South's: Mark my words, they will blow all their GI and Burgess cash on Walker, Arrow and Mitchell.

Parra: Parra have spent most of their cash on players already and have near to none left for next year.

Roosters: I can't come up with anything, they will get everything.

Other teams like Newcastle, Penrith, Manly, Cronulla, Broncos, Warriors, Dragons and Titans have salary cap issues as well as the Cowboys, but you could debate that.

Out of all marquee players I would say that without a doubt us and the Tigers have the best shot and who would like to go to a ninth placed team with no major success in sight?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everybody just assumes Mitchell and or JAC are going to Souths because they are indigenous.. Mitchell has already said that he doesn't want to be GI 2.0

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Melbourne: Melbourne are now near the slumps so everyone is bailing on them. You can't say that they can recruit better when they are letting everyone go.

Canberra: Yes they got Scott but they are in big S.C debt. They can't even put in a good offer for Wighton.

South's: Mark my words, they will blow all their GI and Burgess cash on Walker, Arrow and Mitchell.

Parra: Parra have spent most of their cash on players already and have near to none left for next year.

Roosters: I can't come up with anything, they will get everything.

Other teams like Newcastle, Penrith, Manly, Cronulla, Broncos, Warriors, Dragons and Titans have salary cap issues as well as the Cowboys, but you could debate that.

Out of all marquee players I would say that without a doubt us and the Tigers have the best shot and who would like to go to a ninth placed team with no major success in sight?
Even Tigers are in a better situation then us currently tho (you're thinking too highly of our club currently which happens since you have an emotional connection). He also was at the Tigers before (at least some history there not 100% sure what/how much). My point is we can't recruit like a top club unless there are almost no other options for the player (if they're a top player we'll have competition). How the Titans recruited Tino and the amount is what I was/I'm expecting from us (we're in a better situation then them - which is saying something but it's hard to make a case for us against any other club currently).

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Alot of talk saying he's got speed and we won't be able to utilise him with our halves... I disagree, the amount of times we've got space and not had the legs to go the distance infuriates me. His support and natural instinct is second to none and I would love to see him outside Hopoate. If we did sign him I'd go with this.
1. DWZ (would prefer Meaney but DWZ is who we need there right now)
2. Okunbur
3. Smith
4. Hopoate
5. Addo-Carr
Was keen on Averillo at centre, but Smith wants a go at centre... and his reluctance to take hard carries at times would likely mean we would need Okunbur on the wing

How on earth could anyone say they prefer Meaney over Dwz? Lol

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Because DWZ is far from a sure thing at FB and in theory Meaney has the higher ceiling. DWZ has the job for now and it's completely up to him if he retains it longterm, but he needs to make major improvements on the offensive side on the game because he's far from the elusive ball runner or capable ball player you need at fullback. Defensively he is very good though still sus under the highball.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wests Tigers and Bulldogs reportedly leading race to sign Josh Addo-Carr

After the revelation that the Melbourne Storm are willing to grant homesick Origin star Josh Addo-Carr a release for 2020, three Sydney clubs have firmed as favourites to sign him.

According to The Daily Telegraph, the Wests Tigers, Canterbury Bulldogs and Sydney Roosters are the three clubs that are poised to sign the 24-year-old flyer.

The news comes after the Storm caused the NRL rumour mill to go into overdrive on Friday afternoon when CEO Dave Donaghy confirmed that the club would grant Addo-Carr a release should it reach a suitable deal with a rival.

Having chased Latrell Mitchell all summer and having recently pulled out, the Wests Tigers are reportedly ready to bring Addo-Carr back to the place he started his NRL career.

While Addo-Carr would undoubtedly be a perfect fit both on and off the field, the Tigers might struggle to appease the Storm with little assets outside of cash to offer in return for the Blues star.

The Bulldogs are also prepared to throw the kitchen sink at Addo-Carr, with club CEO Andrew Hill confirming his club's interest in the wantaway winger.

"We are always interested in quality players,'' Hill said.

"And Josh Addo-Carr is certainly one of the best players in the game in his position. We would certainly be willing to talk to Josh at the right time.''

In addition to both the Wests Tigers and the Bulldogs, the Roosters are also reportedly eyeing Addo-Carr as a possible 2021 addition when the likes of Brett Morris and Ryan Hall's money comes off the books.

On Friday, Donaghy said that the Storm were willing to grant Addo-Carr an early release based on "compassionate grounds".

"The board yesterday morning instructed management to explore options for Storm to provide Josh with an early release from his playing contract, on compassionate grounds, at the end of the 2020 season," Donaghy wrote.

"To achieve this, Storm would be seeking fair value for Josh in return by way of a combination of the following: transfer fee; player swap, with the player being of commensurate standing [and/or] salary cap relief for doing the right thing by the player, and providing some extra support for Josh, not dissimilar to the recent scenario in the AFL with Tim Kelly at the [Geelong] Cats.

"We believe this would be a fair outcome for all parties given the investment Storm has made in Josh and that we find ourselves on the cusp of the 2020 season.

"Most importantly, it would allow Josh's request to be met and we, and the game, would be able to continue to support him and his family in the transition back to Sydney."

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He has a higher skill ceiling as a fullback... Will he reach those heights? I don't know. But honestly if DWZ didn't run back hard what would you think of him as a fullback

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He has a higher skill ceiling as a fullback... Will he reach those heights? I don't know. But honestly if DWZ didn't run back hard what would you think of him as a fullback
IF he didnt run the ball back at 100 mp/h you'd think exactly what the Panthers did!

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
No, because we don't need to buy what will probably be the highest paid winger in the game.
Do you just make assumptions out of thin air? You have literally no idea how much we'd offer him so just sit out the next few plays champ.

doggiez03

Waterboy
Reaction score
U would prefer Meaney over DWZ? Put the ice pipe down
Alot of talk saying he's got speed and we won't be able to utilise him with our halves... I disagree, the amount of times we've got space and not had the legs to go the distance infuriates me. His support and natural instinct is second to none and I would love to see him outside Hopoate. If we did sign him I'd go with this.
1. DWZ (would prefer Meaney but DWZ is who we need there right now)
2. Okunbur
3. Smith
4. Hopoate
5. Addo-Carr
Was keen on Averillo at centre, but Smith wants a go at centre... and his reluctance to take hard carries at times would likely mean we would need Okunbur on the wing

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Even Tigers are in a better situation then us currently tho (you're thinking too highly of our club currently which happens since you have an emotional connection). He also was at the Tigers before (at least some history there not 100% sure what/how much). My point is we can't recruit like a top club unless there are almost no other options for the player (if they're a top player we'll have competition). How the Titans recruited Tino and the amount is what I was/I'm expecting from us (we're in a better situation then them - which is saying something but it's hard to make a case for us against any other club currently).
Tigers are lucky Mautalino was retired... The only way they could get Addo Carr on a good deal without fucking their cap would be if Josh Reynolds was guilty of alleged charges. It would be funny if tigers taking him and Mbye ultimately end up helping us out here

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Do you just make assumptions out of thin air? You have literally no idea how much we'd offer him so just sit out the next few plays champ.
And you do? He's arguably the best winger in the game, young and has multiple clubs chasing him..him ending up the highest paid winger in the game is far more likely than not. But hey go right ahead and spend far more on winger than we actually need to to make up for shit ***** like Lewis.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
U would prefer Meaney over DWZ? Put the ice pipe down
Everyone wanting the quick fix haha. Go through all my posts and you will find on multiple occasions ive stated that we need DWZ at the back next season and maybe even the year after... But when it's all said and done Dallin is a winger who had a fullbacks dream. Meaney has played there his whole life and has all the attributes to be a better fullback. All he is lacking is the size and ability to bend the line on kick returns.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: I don’t want to fuck the space time continuum but he ends up at roosters...... journo’s love to link everyone to dogs with war chest salary cap from 2021! A prop will be coming to dogs in 2021 to compliment next wave of players we currently have!

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have no money, we are poor.

We will be lucky to keep the lights on at the leagues club

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And you do? He's arguably the best winger in the game, young and has multiple clubs chasing him..him ending up the highest paid winger in the game is far more likely than not. But hey go right ahead and spend far more on winger than we actually need to to make up for shit ***** like Lewis.
Lol

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That backline has speed to burn I like it. Besides hoppa that backline is very quick could run opposition teams ragged.
They're probably just guessing what players we would/could trade but I really hope Reimis isn't one of them. Okunbor I could live with. I think Meaney is currently ahead of Okunbor in the pecking order (even tho his physique is better for a Winger - really needs to step up in certain areas).

1. DWZ
2. Meaney
3. Reimis
4. Hopoate
5. JAC

I think we could do with another Centre/Winger even with a signing like JAC tho (dropping Meaney out of the side).

Dog R Us

Waterboy
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: I don’t want to fuck the space time continuum but he ends up at roosters...... journo’s love to link everyone to dogs with war chest salary cap from 2021! A prop will be coming to dogs in 2021 to compliment next wave of players we currently have!
Roosters don't spend up on wingers- the are either over 30, unwanted/out of favour or developed within. As soon as Fergo got offered 500k at Parra they said take it and replaced him with B Moz who admitted he had no offers from anyone and offered his services to St George who said no thanks......so they wont want Addo Carr

Id love to see him on the end of our backline- but at what cost? I don't know what his asking price would be....anyone got any idea?
When the purse string loosen i still think we need to buy a top notch hooker, half back and depending if DWZ can still produce the goods in 2020 then maybe a fullback.Thats where id be looking at who is off contract ion 2021/2022.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Bulldogs are also prepared to throw the kitchen sink at Addo-Carr, with club CEO Andrew Hill confirming his club's interest in the wantaway winger.

"We are always interested in quality players,'' Hill said.

"And Josh Addo-Carr is certainly one of the best players in the game in his position. We would certainly be willing to talk to Josh at the right time.''
Hardly sounds liike the club have said they're willing to throw the kitchen sink at him. Seems like we've merely said yep he's a good player and we'd discuss a move with him. The Telecrap have taken a HUGE leap in saying we're throwing the kitchen sink at him. You have to remember that we're a well supported club and the telecrap know that if our supporters buy into the idea they might spend a few measley dollars supporting their shit rags in the hope of finding out more.

On Friday, Donaghy said that the Storm were willing to grant Addo-Carr an early release based on "compassionate grounds".

"The board yesterday morning instructed management to explore options for Storm to provide Josh with an early release from his playing contract, on compassionate grounds, at the end of the 2020 season," Donaghy wrote.

"To achieve this, Storm would be seeking fair value for Josh in return by way of a combination of the following: transfer fee; player swap, with the player being of commensurate standing [and/or] salary cap relief for doing the right thing by the player, and providing some extra support for Josh, not dissimilar to the recent scenario in the AFL with Tim Kelly at the [Geelong] Cats.

"We believe this would be a fair outcome for all parties given the investment Storm has made in Josh and that we find ourselves on the cusp of the 2020 season."
This actually pisses me off a lot. As much as the Storm have every right to stick to their guns and ask for a fair deal to release JAC, they take a different stance in seeking players from elsewhere. In our case we've released both Finucane and Kasiano to those fuckers and got very little in return. It's not like they offered us some of their salary cap space and good juniors in compensation. They just had their rasping hands out looking to only benefit from their end. So if I had any say in the matter I'd generously offer them a box of tissues to wipe away their tears if they were upset and not much more.

I hadn't read this article before but having read it now if anything I tend to think the telecrap has creatively applied a lot of weight to an inconsequential statement from Hill. It's the equivalent of showing someone a picture of a girl and asking if they'd date her and them replying "Possibly, she's pretty" then them using that to say they plan to move heaven and earth to marry the girl in the picture. I don't want to discourage people from having hopes of us signing anyone. I just want people to temper those hopes with a dose of realism. This article basically confirms to me that the Telegcrap haven't got anything close to an idea if he'll leave and where he'd go if he did.

What I'm seeing right now from the club is that they're intending to give chances to our juniors to fill the backline weaknesses we have. We replaced some of the forwards we released from within with the likes of Ogden, To'omaga and the recruitment of Britt and Stimson. This doesn't rule out that we might sign others for the pack in the near future, just shows that they're attending to the roster with what we have ready in the lower grades as much as possible. It seems like the fact that we've primarily added outside backs to the list of development players ahead of next season means that we're hopeful of giving a few youngsters opportunity if they're pushing hard enough in the lower grades.

If the board succeed in improving the roster to a significant extent from within I'll be happy with that. I don't think they're actively trying to move forward without signing any noteworthy players, but even our last board scored some good signings like Curtis Rona who were very under-rated where they were. And the previous board made huge errors like throwing the kitchen sink at Tony Williams, David Woods, Micheal Lichaa, and Moses Mbye. It just seems to me like we've already made astute recruitment decisions to some extent. The only errors that many perceive the new board to have made is supposedly in missing out on opportunities to sign certain players. The coach and the board know they're going to face major scrutiny if they don't have a competitive side together in 2021. And personally I'm hopeful we see signs of things coming together next year, but the mess the club was in has been a hard one to clean up. I don't blame this new board fro being a bit gun shy about throwing huge money at a couple of players and hoping that they'll improve the team massively. It was tried and it failed. They're trying to get a better level of quality into numerous positions. Stars are able to do their thing when those around them are reliable. Hopefully when we have 17 reliable players some of them will show the hidden talent that they've been struggling to showcase.