News Bulldogs skipper Josh Jackon poised to sign a contract that will make him a club legend

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
What's with all the salary speculation?
Napa on $650k! Elliott on $300k!
Who actually knows?
Outside senior execs at the club, the player himself and their manager - no-one knows!
We can all divide $9.5m (or $9.025m @ 95%) by 30 one way or another - and I bet 9 out of 10 of those models would be wrong.
That's our job here. It's what we do ;)

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
What's with all the salary speculation?
Napa on $650k! Elliott on $300k!
Who actually knows?
Outside senior execs at the club, the player himself and their manager - no-one knows!
We can all divide $9.5m (or $9.025m @ 95%) by 30 one way or another - and I bet 9 out of 10 of those models would be wrong.
It amazes me how someone can read made up rubbish from buzz or bulldog Ritchie and not only think those figures are anywhere near accurate, but get really worked up about it

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the team needs complete rejuvenation to turn things around.

The player at the club the longest doesn't always make the best captain.

We need a strategic captain and one who inspires his team and leads by example as to the effort he wants from his team.

The only thing inspiring from Jackson last year was when he stepped into a fight to defend a player which in reality I expect all players not just the captain to do.

I was more inspired by DWZ returning the ball from FB than anything else last year.

Lets not forget that DWZ has captained his country so the Kiwis can see his leadership skills,

Finally we need someone who can overcall Tolman calling for the ball on the 4th and making a 5 metre gain.
I think it’s a bit unfair to suggest that our captains only inspiring effort in a leadership role this year was being involved in a fight
Anyway it’s going to be managements call on who leads the boys and what direction we take as a club

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It doesn’t even have to go to players that are eligible it’s just a extra $200k of cap space.
What? If it doesn't go to players who are eligible then it doesn't get used ie; $200k less in the Cap. We have players eligible, it would be pretty stupid if we didn't use it.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
What? If it doesn't go to players who are eligible then it doesn't get used ie; $200k less in the Cap. We have players eligible, it would be pretty stupid if we didn't use it.

Go Dogs
Of course we would be using it but it doesn't have to be exclusively given to the players that made us qualify. We have qualified for it for several years through J Moz, Tolman, Foran and now Jacko.

The NRL see it as a reward to the club for having players at the club for a long period of time rather then rewarding individual players and the $200k can be used on any player/s on the roster.

Last edited:

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
We need jacko but I think he needs to move to lock and let some of the more mobile guys play on the edges..
Great clubman !
Hes a lock theres no doubt about it. CHN, RFM, Stimson are much better edge runners. Also IMO we looked the best defensively when Jackson and Elliott rotated as the middle 13. Hes an inspirational leader and is a must keep, particularly if we dont decide to renew Tolman past 2020. Jacko has a big motor and he can sit alongside the best tight forwards in the comp. Considering his age, Id imagine ball park would be $2.1m for 3 more years.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol please no, both Jackson and Elliott should be playing the same position and we're potentially going to be spending around $1.2m+ for the both of them per season...surely not :(
He was taking the piss mate lol

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Of course we would be using it but it doesn't have to be exclusively given to the players that made us qualify. We have qualified for it for several years through J Moz, Tolman, Foran and now Jacko.

The NRL see it as a reward to the club for having players at the club for a long period of time rather then rewarding individual players and the $200k can be used on any player/s on the roster.
What, Forans been with us for a long time huh I hardly consider being two years into a three year deal a long time. Only been with us since 2018.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Looks like you’ve been giving the flux capacitor another workout. Do you take David Holland with you on your trips?
There was a small rupture in the space time continuum and David fixed it. I pushed him through it. Closed up. I am writing a theosis on time travel. Multi dimension being are visiting us! I’m one of them.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
There was a small rupture in the space time continuum and David fixed it. I pushed him through it. Closed up. I am writing a theosis on time travel. Multi dimension being are visiting us! I’m one of them.
Fabulous. We have so much to look forward to...

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No wonder :grinning: that time he did, Cummins called play while he was still running back to the defensive line...bingo Souths try!
Thats a good point. Maybe he is smart enough to know talking to them is like talking to a brick wall and finds it more beneficial as the captain to stay focused with whats immediate. Who knows.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I still think it's Oatley Dog

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats a good point. Maybe he is smart enough to know talking to them is like talking to a brick wall and finds it more beneficial as the captain to stay focused with whats immediate. Who knows.
Cameron Smith plays the game with the refs to perfection, I just want someone to play the same game with the refs as their only human and any captain’s comments remain in their sub conscious plus to give your team a rest when under the pump defending our line. It’s no different to faking an injury to get the clock stopped and obtaining your team a breather or playing the ball slowly with only seconds left on the clock and your team’s winning.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why can’t the club just wait a bit to see how he goes next year
I personally didn’t think there was enough improvement in general to warrant an extension
Maybe I’m missing something
He won’t be getting any better
His best is behind him
Love the bloke to bits but love the club and it’s forward success more
War chest???
What war chest

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He won’t be getting any better
His best is behind him
Love the bloke to bits but love the club and it’s forward success more
War chest???
What war chest
The media said war chest

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is Tolman still a co-captain? he seems to be the more dominant voice of the two when it comes to dealing with the referees and all that jazz

if he's not, it would suggest he has a bit of leeway with them, given that they won't even allow some players who aren't captain to speak to them consistently