News Sydney stadium

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/sy...m/news-story/d74b53b9df1d02a02fce030c30231b10

Sydney stadium project blows out by $100m

The cost of the new Sydney Football Stadium – currently just a massive hole in the ground – will be at least $99 million higher than originally planned, the NSW Government has admitted.
Construction giant John Holland was on Wednesday confirmed as the new contractor for the Moore Park stadium’s construction after Lendlease in July walked away from the beleaguered project.

Lendlease had originally been earmarked for both the stadium’s demolition and reconstruction but only performed the former role.

The NSW Government has now awarded a $735 million contract to John Holland for the stadium build, scheduled for completion in 2022 ahead of the 2022 NRL grand final.

That would lift the total estimated cost for the new stadium to $828 million – almost $100 million higher than the Government’s initial $729 million budget.

“While the estimated total cost for this build is higher than what we originally anticipated, it is much better value than what we would have achieved had we not gone back to the market,” Premier Gladys Berejiklian said in a statement. “It is important to deliver the world-class stadium we promised to attract the best events to our state.”

NSW Labor has blasted the Government’s handling of the project, with Opposition Leader Jodi McKay accusing the Premier of “lying” about a “signature election commitment”.

“She not only lied that she had a construction contract sorted when she didn’t, she also broke a promise the stadium would be on time and on budget,” Ms McKay wrote on Twitter this morning.

“(The) demolition in Sydney that shouldn’t even have happened when we have bushfires, drought and underfunded hospitals, schools, TAFE. She has a lot of explaining to do.”

The Coalition government came under scrutiny in July after it revealed the offer from Lendlease to rebuild the stadium did not meet its expectations.

Ms Berejiklian admitted there had never been a construction contract in place despite previous announcements Lendlease was “the construction contractor”.

Demolition of the old Sydney Football Stadium will be completed by the end of the year. NSW Planning Minister Rob Stokes says the rebuild has received planning approval.

-----------------------------------------

Sooo, govt changes design after Lend Lease provides budget price, but refuses to accept additional costs. Goes to market, accepts a higher price anyway.

Still, I expected it would turn into apartments...

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No surprises about any blow outs really. Suddenly we'll hear the ANZ stadium rebuild/refurbishment budget will significantly reduce and virtually nothing will happen there.

Stuart Ayres was always about looking after the interests of the SCG Trust. When he was defeated over the whole ANZ Stadium issue he simply prioritised the Moore Park rebuild to commence first, knowing full well there was a chance there would be barely anything left over for ANZ. Don't trust anything he says about this.

I don't have an issue with building a new Moore Park stadium, but the biggest stadium should be the priority. Otherwise, they should have made the new Moore Park stadium 80,000+ seats and simply refreshed Homebush.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm all for new stadiums but it still seems so dumb to me to not just knock down anz, rebuild it and forget about Allianz

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I have zero fucks was obviously not enough allowed if Lendlease didn't want to touch it either even after having their equipment on the ground, as long as ANZ still gets the treatment it deserves also.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/sy...m/news-story/d74b53b9df1d02a02fce030c30231b10

Sydney stadium project blows out by $100m

The cost of the new Sydney Football Stadium – currently just a massive hole in the ground – will be at least $99 million higher than originally planned, the NSW Government has admitted.
Construction giant John Holland was on Wednesday confirmed as the new contractor for the Moore Park stadium’s construction after Lendlease in July walked away from the beleaguered project.

Lendlease had originally been earmarked for both the stadium’s demolition and reconstruction but only performed the former role.

The NSW Government has now awarded a $735 million contract to John Holland for the stadium build, scheduled for completion in 2022 ahead of the 2022 NRL grand final.

That would lift the total estimated cost for the new stadium to $828 million – almost $100 million higher than the Government’s initial $729 million budget.

“While the estimated total cost for this build is higher than what we originally anticipated, it is much better value than what we would have achieved had we not gone back to the market,” Premier Gladys Berejiklian said in a statement. “It is important to deliver the world-class stadium we promised to attract the best events to our state.”

NSW Labor has blasted the Government’s handling of the project, with Opposition Leader Jodi McKay accusing the Premier of “lying” about a “signature election commitment”.

“She not only lied that she had a construction contract sorted when she didn’t, she also broke a promise the stadium would be on time and on budget,” Ms McKay wrote on Twitter this morning.

“(The) demolition in Sydney that shouldn’t even have happened when we have bushfires, drought and underfunded hospitals, schools, TAFE. She has a lot of explaining to do.”

The Coalition government came under scrutiny in July after it revealed the offer from Lendlease to rebuild the stadium did not meet its expectations.

Ms Berejiklian admitted there had never been a construction contract in place despite previous announcements Lendlease was “the construction contractor”.

Demolition of the old Sydney Football Stadium will be completed by the end of the year. NSW Planning Minister Rob Stokes says the rebuild has received planning approval.

-----------------------------------------

Sooo, govt changes design after Lend Lease provides budget price, but refuses to accept additional costs. Goes to market, accepts a higher price anyway.

Still, I expected it would turn into apartments...
Lend lease realised they couldn’t build it for what they quoted which is all too common, the government weren’t happy with a few things anyway so gave them the flick

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Total waste of time and money these works. To make things even funnier, we're now playing a Grand Final at the SCG - the worst ground to watch a Rugby League game at.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Total waste of time and money these works. To make things even funnier, we're now playing a Grand Final at the SCG - the worst ground to watch a Rugby League game at.
none of these stadiums and upgrades were urgent. They should have made sure one was completely finished before even considering moving onto the next project.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Have them play on the dirt patch I reckon, make the game tough again
Haha.. best comment that this thread will receive.. nice one Howie, that’s thinking...!!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
No surprises about any blow outs really. Suddenly we'll hear the ANZ stadium rebuild/refurbishment budget will significantly reduce and virtually nothing will happen there.

Stuart Ayres was always about looking after the interests of the SCG Trust. When he was defeated over the whole ANZ Stadium issue he simply prioritised the Moore Park rebuild to commence first, knowing full well there was a chance there would be barely anything left over for ANZ. Don't trust anything he says about this.

I don't have an issue with building a new Moore Park stadium, but the biggest stadium should be the priority. Otherwise, they should have made the new Moore Park stadium 80,000+ seats and simply refreshed Homebush.
Roosters training base and NRL headquarters they all hold each other's dicks and were always going to be looked after... Even though ANZ is the better venue for world sporting events

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Premiers $tadium fantasy is a farce with country towns in drought.
These venues could of went another twenty years.
Whats the Government capital works budget?
Build some water trains.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Premiers $tadium fantasy is a farce with country towns in drought.
These venues could of went another twenty years.
Whats the Government capital works budget?
Build some water trains.
We don't have enough heavy duty fire fighting resources, we rely on volunteers to fight fires, we don't have enough water in most places but we have hundreds of millions to replace stadiums that didn't need replacing.
Not to mention hospitals have to organise fetes to raise money!

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
You need to invest money to make money

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
You need to invest money to make money
Not disputing the economics of investing money to make money - my issue/ concern is whether the money is well invested or invested just to appease those with the loudest voice. Im off topic sorry

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Not disputing the economics of investing money to make money - my issue/ concern is whether the money is well invested or invested just to appease those with the loudest voice. Im off topic sorry
It’s very difficult to find that line with politicians involved. Without sounding harsh, I know there is so many good causes but personally I don’t want all my tax dollars going to them and I’m glad they are investing in the future a bit too

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The homeless Roosters can play in the toolshed where they belong..

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I still don't get why Allianz Stadium needed rebuilding I thought it was fine.

Homebush on the other hand.