Roosters among the lowest in TPAs

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you fail to acknowledge is that the Roosters, aside from RTS, never really lose anyone they want to keep.

And yet they somehow manage to retain and upgrade everyone else that they want despite their salaries rising exponentially after reaching Rep status etc..

Even considering that, they sign some of the best free agents available in Tedesco, Keary Cronk and Chrichton etc...

Yes players were released which would make room some of for the signings but that doesn't factor in the millions that would be spent on upgrading and extending Taukeahio, JWH, Tupou, Manu, Radley, Keary, Cordner as well as kids like Verillis, Butcher etc that other clubs would pay good money for. And they signed Flanagan who numerous clubs were chasing.

Any reasonable person can conclude that all of the above doesn't add up to $9.8 million with only 30k in TPA's as is claimed by the Roosters press release in these so called articles..

Meanwhile clubs like the Tigers lose Tedesco, Woods, Moses, Addo-Carr etc and are always under cap pressure. Something doesn't add up. It's not all down to poor cap management and bad signings. It's clearly not an even playing field or distribution of talent across the competition. The cap isn't working.
That is just another myth about the club. James Maloney ring a bell and have you missed the recent development regarding LM? And the reason we now want him off our books by Jan 1 is that we've already paid him for two months of his 2020 salary equating to $120K (according to some article I read) which means his 2020 salary will be around $720K and we want that money to re-sign Friend and upgrade a few lesser players in Nat Butcher, Topouniua, Faamausili and Ikuvalu.

What you fail to understand is IF we did have unlimited cap space why would we not re-sign LM?

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol no.

Do you discuss how much you get paid with your mates? I know I certainly dont.
Fair enough. But in the context of the post, if you, Wahesh, everyone else on this forum and a dead wombat on the Hume apparently know we cheat the cap, why wouldn't the players at our club NOT receiving the paper bags know about it and report it?

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fair enough. But in the context of the post, if you, Wahesh, everyone else on this forum and a dead wombat on the Hume apparently know we cheat the cap, why wouldn't the players at our club NOT receiving the paper bags know about it and report it?
a) They arent aware
b) They want to keep their job (whistleblowers generally arent treated very well)

Think of it this way, teams that have been caught in the past havent been from players (or the useless salary cap auditor). Its generally from a journo or something like that.

When Melbourne were rorting the cap and players were signing 2 contracts and having boats etc magically appear in their driveways, none of the players missing out came forward and reported it.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
That is the role of every clubs board, if they can't accomplish this then they should be sacked as they would be failing in their duties.

And your answer is more a simple distraction from the inconvenient truth about roster management, we do it better than most.
And why do you do it better than most ? A wealthy tyrant who has the NRL officials in his back pocket

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
That is just another myth about the club. James Maloney ring a bell and have you missed the recent development regarding LM? And the reason we now want him off our books by Jan 1 is that we've already paid him for two months of his 2020 salary equating to $120K (according to some article I read) which means his 2020 salary will be around $720K and we want that money to re-sign Friend and upgrade a few lesser players in Nat Butcher, Topouniua, Faamausili and Ikuvalu.

What you fail to understand is IF we did have unlimited cap space why would we not re-sign LM?
"What you fail to understand is IF we did have unlimited cap space why would we not re-sign LM?"

For sure and certain, it's because the NRL Godfather got upset that one of his boys had the utter audacity to look elsewhere, and therefore not accept the great honour of staying in the protected coterie of the rorters :grinning:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
a) They arent aware
Even though apparently everyone else is? I find this hard to believe.

b) They want to keep their job (whistleblowers generally arent treated very well)
Doesn't explain the ex players who weren't receiving the bags. Why wouldn't they report it?

Think of it this way, teams that have been caught in the past havent been from players (or the useless salary cap auditor). Its generally from a journo or something like that.

When Melbourne were rorting the cap and players were signing 2 contracts and having boats etc magically appear in their driveways, none of the players missing out came forward and reported it.
Are you sure about that? The final report into Melb was not publicly available as far as I'm aware so I'm not certain how the NRL found out about the rort?

This is what I find amazing about this belief we are cheating the cap. Given the scrutiny all clubs are under and the various rorts that have already been uncovered and repeated barbs, snide remarks and veiled accusations that everyone in the media apply to my club, don't you think there would be reporter chomping at the bit to expose us? Imagine the coverage it would receive, the feather in their cap of the reporter who uncovered the Roosters rorting the cap? Yet with all those reporters questioning ex Roosters players and admin staff over the years, none of them have thought to ask if they received a bag or some sort of side payment? It just doesn't add up. And I don't believe all of them are so scared of Nick that they would turn a blind eye if someone came to them with proof. I mean seriously, it's their job to take risks to expose the truth.

Unless we are exposed I will continue to believe my club is doing the right thing. If they are ever exposed I will be the first here to put my hand up and take the tsunami of commentary I can only imagine would be coming my way. Until then.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

They tried to re-sign Latrell. They offered 800k. They just decided to pull the offer because he had the audacity to see what other offers were out there.

So that proves that they still somehow have money to spend for 2020. And even if they did re-sign Latrell, we all know they would re-sign Butcher and everyone else they want to keep.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They tried to re-sign Latrell. They offered 800k. They just decided to pull the offer because he had the audacity to see what other offers were out there.

So that proves that they still somehow have money to spend for 2020. And even if they did re-sign Latrell, we all know they would re-sign Butcher and everyone else they want to keep.
Correct, and after we pulled the offer to LM, we re-signed JWH, SST and Joey Manu and have since then declared we don't have the money for LM past 2020, but hey, don't let the facts get in your way.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Correct, and after we pulled the offer to LM, we re-signed JWH, SST and Joey Manu and have since then declared we don't have the money for LM past 2020, but hey, don't let the facts get in your way.
My point is, if they re-signed Latrell, they still would have found a way to re-sign all of those other guys as well.

According to your logic there will be no longer be any money left to upgrade Butcher and others. Butcher is one of the best uiung forwards in the comp who would start on most other teams. Plenty of clubs would pay 400k or more for him considering what other bench forwards are getting...

But I guarantee you Butcher re-signs soon because like always, the Roosters find as extra few million under the cushions of their couch to re-sign the players they want to keep.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My point is, if they re-signed Latrell, they still would have found a way to re-sign all of those other guys as well.

According to your logic there will be no longer be any money left to upgrade Butcher and others. Butcher is one of the best uiung forwards in the comp who would start on most other teams. Plenty of clubs would pay 400k or more for him considering what other bench forwards are getting...

But I guarantee you Butcher re-signs soon because like always, the Roosters find as extra few million under the cushions of their couch to re-sign the players they want to keep.
You can't make a point on an "if", you can make a supposition but not a point. And I think your confused as I said in post 101 we'll have the money to upgrade Butcher and others because we're not re-signing Mitchell.

And again I make the point regarding your guarantee, if we can "find as extra few million under the cushions of their couch to re-sign the players they want to keep", why would we let one of the best centres in the game go, it makes zero sense.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You can't make a point on an "if", you can make a supposition but not a point. And I think your confused as I said in post 101 we'll have the money to upgrade Butcher and others because we're not re-signing Mitchell.

And again I make the point regarding your guarantee, if we can "find as extra few million under the cushions of their couch to re-sign the players they want to keep", why would we let one of the best centres in the game go, it makes zero sense.
Because Politis and Robinson have decided he's not worth the trouble or the money.

Conveniently they can now use that "Latrell money" as a never ending excuse to upgrade JWH, Taukeahio, Manu, likely Butcher and anyone else on huge extensions relative to what they were earning before. Plus they'll find money for a big signing or two soon no doubt. All of those upgrades on those deals and others would add up to a lot more than 800k..

The Roosters sure can make 800k stretch further than any other club..

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because Politis and Robinson have decided he's not worth the trouble or the money.
So did your club, are we both right or both wrong?

Consequently they can now use that "Latrell money" as a never ending excuse to upgrade JWH, Taukeahio, Manu and likely Butcher etc on huge extensions relative to what they were earning before. All of those upgrades on those deals and others would add up to a lot more than 800k..

The Roosters sure can make 800k stretch further than any other club..
So now it's an excuse that we use LM money to upgrade others. /facepalm

And it's not just $800K, you obviously forget to factor in the Cronk mill and the enormous amount we saved for moving Tetevano on? (I'll let you put a figure on him)

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So did your club, are we both right or both wrong?

So now it's an excuse that we use LM money to upgrade others. /facepalm

And it's not just $800K, you obviously forget to factor in the Cronk mill and the enormous amount we saved for moving Tetevano on? (I'll let you put a figure on him)
So they didn't use any of the Cronk money to re-sign and upgrade Keary, Cordner, Aubusson, Verillis and Radley?

If not, then how did they afford all of those re-signings? Do tell...

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So they didn't use any of the Cronk money to re-sign and upgrade Keary, Cordner, Aubusson, Verillis and Radley?

If not, then how did they afford all of those re-signings? Do tell...
It's easy when you know what you're talking about, Cordner and Radley signed 5 year deals in 2018. Which means their 2019 salaries would have been part of the cap along with Cronks so we didn't need to use his money to re-sign them.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/2e5f869e025079a80a7aba8c624000b2
https://www.sportingnews.com/au/lea...on-sydney-roosters/1f0yrcp22ym5x1bcytbggth19p

Aubs got one year only 2020. Verrills has been upgraded to an NRL contract where previously he was on a second tier contract. And we haven't yet got into talks about extending Keary, but I'm sure some of Cronks money will be used for his extension.