News Bulldogs skipper Josh Jackon poised to sign a contract that will make him a club legend

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Why do people believe c Smith is on minimum? It stinks of a dud signing. Why would he rush to extend for minimum? He got a pay increase no doubt about it and grabbed it counting his blessings.

If we extend Elliott we are just pissing our “war chest” away on duds.
He’s not on much. Maybe he wants stability in his life/career. We can’t have 30 marquee players, you need squad players too

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like Jacko he deserves a few more years and is our inspirational captain
He will probably be the first to admit that it wasn’t his best year but we need him fully fit come round 1 and firing on all cylinders
Napa,Stimson,RFM and their mates also need to step up and follow Josh.
I’m confident in his leadership
Personally believe DWZ should be captain and will pass Folkes, Turvey & Baa but wont be remembered with the same love. Past his prime but has been a good solid player for the Dogs.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He’s not on much. Maybe he wants stability in his life/career. We can’t have 30 marquee players, you need squad players too
He was signed as reserve grade journey man and Pay turned him into a regular in first grade. He would be on more then minimum wage I would say it would be $200k-$300k.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally believe DWZ should be captain and will pass Folkes, Turvey & Baa but wont be remembered with the same love. Past his prime but has been a good solid player for the Dogs.
Are you saying that DWZ should be captain from next season and beyond
Is there any particular reason
It didn’t even cross my mind to have anyone else especially if josh is still at the club and extends his association with us.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you saying that DWZ should be captain from next season and beyond
Is there any particular reason
It didn’t even cross my mind to have anyone else especially if josh is still at the club and extends his association with us.
He never seems to question the ref as is a captains right, in an attempt to give his team a rest in defence or pressure the ref to even up the penalty count or to influence by saying watching so and so hes been doing it all game.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was signed as reserve grade journey man and Pay turned him into a regular in first grade. He would be on more then minimum wage I would say it would be $200k-$300k.
That money seems to be a fair figure keeping in mind that at our club he holds down a regular first grade position
I’m not sure he would hold the same status at too many other clubs to be honest
I hope to see a better version of Elliott next year

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He never seems to question the ref as is a captains right, in an attempt to give his team a rest in defence or pressure the ref to even up the penalty count or to influence by saying watching so and so hes been doing it all game.
Agree to a certain point that he might not be as vocal or in the refs ear as much as other players but to be fair I have seen him approach the officials from time to time
He looked very frustrated with our teams performance at times this season more than anything else
The refs have probably been a secondary thought

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Captains shouldn't be bombarding the referee - its a bugbear of mine and i'd like to see it stamped out TBH. There are clear rules as to when a Captain can discuss decisions with referees.

Having said that, if Cam Smith gets away with it every 2 minutes, then Jacko needs to be stepping up his game :grinning:

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree to a certain point that he might not be as vocal or in the refs ear as much as other players but to be fair I have seen him approach the officials from time to time
He looked very frustrated with our teams performance at times this season more than anything else
The refs have probably been a secondary thought
I believe the team needs complete rejuvenation to turn things around.

The player at the club the longest doesn't always make the best captain.

We need a strategic captain and one who inspires his team and leads by example as to the effort he wants from his team.

The only thing inspiring from Jackson last year was when he stepped into a fight to defend a player which in reality I expect all players not just the captain to do.

I was more inspired by DWZ returning the ball from FB than anything else last year.

Lets not forget that DWZ has captained his country so the Kiwis can see his leadership skills,

Finally we need someone who can overcall Tolman calling for the ball on the 4th and making a 5 metre gain.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That money seems to be a fair figure keeping in mind that at our club he holds down a regular first grade position
I’m not sure he would hold the same status at too many other clubs to be honest
I hope to see a better version of Elliott next year
Totally agree I don't think he would starting at any other club or re-signed with a year remaining on his contract.
Jacko, Elliott and Smith are just way too similar of a player and we just don't need all three.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I agree it would be about that. I don’t think he’d see much first grade when Pay can build a squad with the full cap

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think this group in charge are offering overs to anyone tbh.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
That’s my point. 300k a year for c Smith is obscene. Broncos just extended haas on 500k ffs...

That’s also way over “minimum wage”.

Bloke doesn’t belong in first grade. Woeful.

These blokes and holland, Elliott etc no doubt together eat up 1mil. Seriously let that sink in!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
What's with all the salary speculation?
Napa on $650k! Elliott on $300k!
Who actually knows?
Outside senior execs at the club, the player himself and their manager - no-one knows!
We can all divide $9.5m (or $9.025m @ 95%) by 30 one way or another - and I bet 9 out of 10 of those models would be wrong.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Reminder, JJ is eligible for the $200K Veteran and Developed Player Allowance in the Salary Cap.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Reminder, JJ is eligible for the $200K Veteran and Developed Player Allowance in the Salary Cap.

Go Dogs
Tolman already qualifies for that and it’s a $200k addition to the cap it doesn’t go to the specific player that qualifies for it.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Tolman already qualifies for that and it’s a $200k addition to the cap it doesn’t go to the specific player that qualifies for it.
The club can allocate it however they like amongst the eligible players, for example they could spilt it 50/50, $100k each.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The club can allocate it however they like amongst the eligible players, for example they could spilt it 50/50, $100k each.

Go Dogs
It doesn’t even have to go to players that are eligible it’s just a extra $200k of cap space.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
No wonder :grinning: that time he did, Cummins called play while he was still running back to the defensive line...bingo Souths try!