News A school like no other Jayden Okunbor

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jayden Okunbor - Contributor
There is a school in a remote part of Kavieng, in the Papua New Guinea province of New Ireland, where every kid supports the Bulldogs.
The class rooms of the Nehemiah Christian School are all painted blue and white and the kids wear blue and white uniforms.
Before going there on a post-season trip with the club to help build a community hall and do school visits, I knew nothing about it. A school like that in that place… I just feel every Bulldogs player should know about it and the story behind it.
When they told us we’d be visiting a school that liked the Bulldogs I thought there would be a few posters hung up around the place. One of the first things you see is in the school hall, where they had a massive wallpaper of Josh Reynolds, Trent Hodkinson, Josh Jackson and Sam Perrot celebrating. That was really cool.
We had some former players there who make annual trips to the region with the club. Corey Hughes, Reni Maitua and Daniel Holdsworth were back again and the kids and teachers knew all of them on a first name basis. That really amazed me.
One of the teachers said that no matter how old they are, people in the town start asking about coming to school in October because that’s when the Bulldogs are visiting.
I would have loved to go to a Bulldogs school. It gives you a sense of community if you support the team together with all your friends, as much as it seems you’re forced into it.
It wasn’t just that. The school backs onto a beach which has got a natural rock pool where the kids learn to swim. At lunch they climbed coconut trees to get some down to eat. It was a beautiful place
Fishing for Our Dinners
Towards the end of the season our club wellbeing and education manager Steve Pike was asking the boys if they were up for going on this year’s trip. He’s been taking groups over for eight years, helping with work on local projects.
No one was putting their hands up. At first I was a little reluctant. When I saw I had to get malaria shots and other needles there was a little bit of concern, but as soon as I got there I was over the moon that I’d decided to go.
When we got off the plane, walking through Port Moresby airport, everyone seemed to know who we were and plenty of people were coming up asking to take photos.
As soon as we got to the island we were complete celebrities. Everyone was running up to us wanting photos and signatures. I still feel I’m quite unknown in Australia but over there they knew my name more than they do here. I guess that shows how much rugby league means to the people there
I didn’t go there with much expectation but Kavieng was one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been. The beach was amazing, the water crystal clear and everyone was so friendly and accommodating. I can’t wait to go back.
Any opportunity they get to mingle with a footy player is something good for them. They wouldn’t stop asking about Rhyse Martin, he’s Superman over there, their hero.
At first we stayed in a resort with working toilets and electricity. Then we took a three-hour banana boat ride to Tunnung Island. It wasn’t like we were living rough but the electricity came from a generator and there was one toilet and one shower for the island.
The locals rely on farming and fishing for their food. It was the first time I’d been fishing and I got right into it. Trolling off the back of small boats, we caught mackerel, barracuda, trevally and tuna.
Istay away from the water in Australia, just a few shallow beaches, but going out there was pretty crazy and I really enjoyed it. We ate seafood every night, fresh and beautiful.
On Tunnung Island we helped build a community hall, putting on the roof. At my off-season weight of 113kg, they told me I was too heavy to get up on the roof so I got the foreman’s job, handing the hammers and nails to the boys up there.
If they ask me to go back again I’ll jump at it. I told all our guys that if you get the opportunity, go straight away.
In Australia I think you get a fair bit of criticism and sometimes it’s hard to deal with. Over there they make you feel so good about what you’ve done, like you’re the best thing on earth. I reckon if I’d gone over there without playing first grade, they would have taken care of me. They’re just nice people and super caring.
A Career for After Footy
I’ve always been interested in giving back. I take after my mum, who was always down at the local footy ground volunteering her time. I saw her do that and it inspired me.
I’ve done some work with special needs kids at schools and I find that really fulfilling and something I want to do more of. When I was in under-20s we had to do work or study, so I did a lot of work in schools as a teacher’s aide. A lot of the time I would be assigned kids with disabilities.
They’d often be big fans of football and it was something we had in common. We could always muck around together, and I felt there was a strong connection there.
I’m a bit reluctant to jump into uni right now, I’m not sure if I’m up to the challenge at this point of my life with everything else I’m doing, but some form of teaching is a career I’m keen on after footy.
I like being able to work with kids one-on-one and build personal relationships and friendships. I don’t just want to be an authoritarian, telling kids what to do all the time. I want to have fun with them
I’m a Bit of a Mummy’s Boy’
Me and my older brother Jackson started out at Milperra Colts. Mum was Jackson’s team manager to start with. When we both started playing she took on a bigger role as the club’s assistant secretary, then secretary after that.
It was a big load for her. She’d have work during the day then most nights she would be down at the canteen or at club meetings. She worked hard but her attitude was if she could help us in any way she would do it and she loved it.
My NRL debut this year was huge for her.
When I told her she was going to have to present me my jersey she said she didn’t want to do it because she didn’t want to cry in front of everyone.
I told her there was no one else I wanted to give me that jersey, so I made her suck it up and she did a great job. She broke down straight away. I’m a bit of a mummy’s boy. As soon as she cries I cry as well.
It was at Campbelltown Stadium before the Tigers game. I knew they were coming in, my mum, dad, brother and girlfriend, but I wasn’t sure how it would work. I was just stretching, trying to get into my zone. All the boys got up and I though shit we must be having a meeting, so I went up too.
Nick Meaney debuted the same day and his dad got quite emotional about it. I thought ‘oh man if he’s going to cry there’s no way mum’s going to keep it together’. As soon as mum started I could hear it in her voice, then I started tearing up a bit.
It’s something I’ll remember for the rest of my life
meant a lot to share it with Jackson too.
He’s two years older than me and growing up I always watched him play footy. He was the best in his team and that drove me to be the player I am today.
From the ages of 8-13, he was pretty hard on me. We used to play against each other but he was always better than me. He was way faster. I could never catch him. He’d always run rings around me and call me fat and that used to get to me. Games would often end with me crying to mum.
She’d blow up at him. It was hard to beat him at footy but if I wanted to get him in trouble that was easy.
I thought he was just being a mean older brother but looking back now he put me on the path to where I am. He wanted the best for me always, but there was a time I didn’t really understand that and was being a sook. Without him my career wouldn’t be what it is now. He made me strong.
We never punched on, but State of Origin time things could get a little hectic. He was a big Darren Lockyer fan so decided he was a Queenslander. That was weird.
We’d play our Origin game before the big one came on and there’d be the odd stray elbow flying in.

I’m Excited About the Club’s Future
I got to play eight games this year, then I suffered a foot injury and missed the next couple of months. Thankfully I made it back to first grade for the last couple of games.
The game I got injured in, I was thinking it was my best game of the year and that I was starting to find my feet. To get that injury and know I was going to be out for a while was heartbreaking.
Playing that level of footy was everything I wanted
I want to have a massive preseason and be in the round one team. From there I want to keep playing good consistent footy, and stay in the team. I don’t care where I just want to keep playing week in, week out.
I recently signed a new contract and I’m excited about the club’s future. I think we’re on the up. Last year we started slowly but the way we finished was a massive boost. We had a few good wins against pretty decent teams.
We’re still a young team that’s building momentum and a couple of experienced signings are going to help us.
Our coach Dean Pay copped some stuff this year which I felt was pretty unfair.
He’s doing what he does best and some things weren’t working at the start of the year. But he’s the coach that gave me my first opportunity, so I’ll forever be in debt to him.
He’s been awesome for me, tells me to back myself and do what I’m good at. In years past I’ve been a bit in my shell, and he’s the one that got me out of it.

Article from athletes voice
https://www.athletesvoice.com.au/

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jayden seems like such a great bloke off the field it’s hard to not like him. He’s got so much potential and he could turn into a great winger if he can sort out some of his errors and defence.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This guy should be in the team round 1 no questions

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hope he kills it and remis goes well at centre it would be great to have young guys that love the club turn into guns

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
113kg? Unit.

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jayden seems like such a great bloke off the field it’s hard to not like him. He’s got so much potential and he could turn into a great winger if he can sort out some of his errors and defence.
Reminds me of Manu when he 1st started rocks and diamonds and was also caught out in defence a fair bit hopefully can be more diamonds for us Manu got better as he got older hopefully Jayden don't take as long to get it out of his game

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Reminds me of Manu when he 1st started rocks and diamonds and was also caught out in defence a fair bit hopefully can be more diamonds for us Manu got better as he got older hopefully Jayden don't take as long to get it out of his game
He’s the only one in the team that can create something by himself. His deficiencies are worth putting up with

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s the only one in the team that can create something by himself. His deficiencies are worth putting up with
I agree and I hope he is picked for round one it's something our club has lacked for a long time is two tall wingers who make planty of metres but I still stand by with what I said he is to rocks and diamonds but will improve with more games in the top grade

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
And 200+ metres every game also he seems to play shit in reserve grade but he played pretty well in all his games in 1sts

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Great story.. seems like a good bloke to have in the team, and at the dogggies.. wish him all the best in 2020 and beyond...!!!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm glad that Steve Pike is running these trips to Kavieng. I think it would be a pretty decent thing to help young players take stock of the advantages they have in life. Despite the star treatment they get over there, I think it never hurts to give them some kind of basis on which they can take a larger view of the world.

I'm hopeful that Okunbor has a big year. His kick reception was pretty ordinary in his first few games, but he was showing big signs of improvement there before he got injured. And his defensive reads need to improve (part of me sees it as a huge disadvantage to debut into a highly inexperienced backline like he did). But if he can get the flaws out of his game he's got the potential to have a great career. I wish him well in his push to establish himself in the team.

Nakidog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Hope he don't start playing a role in selling the rocks as its being alleged manu was in NZ.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I'm glad that Steve Pike is running these trips to Kavieng. I think it would be a pretty decent thing to help young players take stock of the advantages they have in life. Despite the star treatment they get over there, I think it never hurts to give them some kind of basis on which they can take a larger view of the world.

I'm hopeful that Okunbor has a big year. His kick reception was pretty ordinary in his first few games, but he was showing big signs of improvement there before he got injured. And his defensive reads need to improve (part of me sees it as a huge disadvantage to debut into a highly inexperienced backline like he did). But if he can get the flaws out of his game he's got the potential to have a great career. I wish him well in his push to establish himself in the team.
I agree it’s a great story, a good leveller and some quality community service / CSR for the club - kudos to all involved.

So no doubt Okunbor is a good fella and the type of person we want at our club value and effort wise. For me however several holes remain in his game to be a regular first grader. I hope I’m proven wrong and he comes a long way in 2020, but if I were choosing the Round 1 side at this point he wouldn’t be in it.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
A great article, and well written too. Nice to see we have players who can string words together, and paint a very real picture of the topic.

My late father served as a commando, behind enemy lines in PNG. He wasn't exactly enamoured with the place, but couldn't praise the natives enough for the help and support they provided, at great risk to themselves. They were affectionately called the "fuzzy wuzzy angels". Without their bush skills, he would have been in a Japanese prison camp from day one. He had plenty of criticism of the high command, but nothing but praise for the locals.

A Berries/Bulldogs supporter all his life, he would have enjoyed reading this.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in first grade on the wing and Smith to centre. Like him a lot, can break the line and will score tries if given another go.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Still waiting for the day his balls drop.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Still waiting for the day his balls drop.
What do you mean by that though? It's not like he shy's away from contact and look at his running stats you don't get those if you don't run hard.