News Kyle Flanagan admits training intensity at Roosters Harder Than Sharks

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
https://www.sportingnews.com/au/lea...rom-cronulla-sharks/9ewqi9citu2d11limozeauogh

Kyle Flanagan says he's noticed a major difference in intensity at training since his high-profile arrival at the Roosters from Cronulla ahead of the 2020 NRL season.

The premiers snared Flanagan's signature from under the Sharks' noses mid-way through the year, in what was a major coup for the club given the retirement of premiership-winning halfback Cooper Cronk at the end of this season.

21-year-old Flanagan, a highly-rated playmaker and son of now St. George Illawarra Dragons' assistant Shane Flanagan, arrives in Bondi at the best possible time, in the wake of the club's two successive premierships.

And in a wide-ranging interview with Fox Sports News, crafty number seven explained how eye-opening his initiation at Roosters pre-season training had been.

"It's very different, especially on the training field, the intensity in training is unbelievable," Flanagan said.

"I've trained harder than I ever have in my whole career I think so hopefully that helps me going forward in 2020 and I really can't wait for it."

In terms of challenges, filling the big shoes vacated by Cronk, a four-time premiership winner and two-time Dally M Medalist, they arguably come no bigger.

But despite his youth, Flanagan said he's unfazed by the expectations that will hang over him next season.

"I think the challenge will bring the best out of me. I'm looking forward to showing people I can really play footy," the former under-20s New South Wales star said.

"The last two years here at the club have been unreal. I can't wait to build on that myself, but for me it's a fresh start and I'm looking forward to playing well and building relationships with the team members here.

"I want to win a comp myself as well so a fresh phase and that's good for the club to have around here and I can't wait for what's ahead."

Following Cronk's retirement, the Roosters confirmed the 375-game veteran would remain with the club in a coaching and mentor capacity.

It's given Flanagan the opportunity to learn off one of his heroes, something he dreamed of as a young player.

"It's honestly a dream come true," the former Shark said.

"I grew up idolising Mitchell Pearce and Cooper Cronk. I got to debut against Mitchell Pearce and Cooper Cronk's been a mentor for me so it's honestly a dream come true.

"In saying that I want to repay the club for giving me this opportunity and I really want to prove a point to people. I can't wait, I'm working hard and hopefully things work out for myself."

Asked what he'd learned during the brief time that he'd worked alongside Cronk at training, Flanagan said: "Just little things in my halfback play, just the small details that'll make a massive difference going forward.

"His subtlety in the way he looks at the game will be massive for me and how I react in high-pressure situations will be massive as well.

"He's instilled a lot of confidence in me I think, it's not too much about the skills and that sort of stuff, I really feel confident now, and that's the one thing he's given me."

Sharks fans were understandably livid when news broke that one of their most glowing young stars would be jumping ship.

The young playmaker will now face the prospect of lining up against his former club, something he won't have to wait long for, with the two sides to face off in round five of the 2020 season.

Aside from that Flanagan said he's eager to oppose his best friend and fellow rising star Bronson Xerri, who has been heavily linked with a move to the Tricolours in 2021.

"I can't wait. I want to see my good mate, Bronson Xerri who's at the club," Flanagan said.

"I think it's round five, he sent me a message saying 'round five' so yeah it's going to be good fun, but in saying that I got to focus on hard work before then but I'm looking forward to that occasion for sure.

"I said to him do you want to try on the shorts but he brushed me so we'll have to wait and see."

Attachments

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is it just me or did he just push his father under the bus?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder what Kyle would do if Lord Cronk pulled it out