News Bulldogs skipper Josh Jackon poised to sign a contract that will make him a club legend

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
This could be the deal that makes him Canterbury’s the most capped forward – and maybe second overall in the club’s 84-year history.

The Bulldogs have moved to formally step up negotiations to secure skipper Josh Jackson for what could be a life contract.

Bulldogs chief executive Andrew Hill has made contact with Jackson’s manager, Andrew Purcell, to accelerate contracts talks.

While a deadline for a contract extension hasn’t been set, Canterbury hopes to have a new deal secured early next year.

No contract length has been discussed but it would more than likely span two to three seasons. Jackson, 28, is still under contract for next year.

That could mean Jackson has another four seasons remaining at Belmore.

Jackson could play another 80 to 90 games. He has already played 181 games for Canterbury and sits 21st on the club’s overall tally.

But another four years would move Jackson up into fourth place and allow him to become the club’s most capped forward, slipping past the great Steve Folkes (245).

He could even nudge past second-placed Steve Mortimer (272) and third-placed Terry Lamb (262). Jackson wouldn’t be able to catch club leader Hazem El Masri (317).

Bulldogs prop Aiden Tolman has played 205 games for Canterbury and is 12th overall. The 31-year-old has just one year remaining on his deal.

Provided he remains injury-free next season, Tolman will break into the Bulldogs’ top 10 most capped playing list.

Canterbury wants Jackson to re-sign and Jackson wants to stay. It’s now a matter of sorting out an accepted contract value before a deal can be formally announced.

Jackson will start next season aged 29 – another four years taking him close to NRL retirement age.

He may sneak in one more season but his body has taken a battering given his fierce and ferocious playing style.

Jackson, from Gulgong, made his NRL debut for Canterbury back in 2012 and has represented NSW and Australia.

Rival clubs have discussed Jackson being a free agent but none have lodged any formal offers. Souths were linked to Jackson at one point but the club denied any interest.

Jackson is currently recovering from off-season groin and hip surgery.

Canterbury are also looking to re-sign forward Adam Elliott, who also comes off contract after next season.

The Bulldogs are also monitoring any contract developments with Brisbane forward David Fifita, who comes off contract after next season. Privately though the club believe Fifita will re-sign with the Broncos.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...d/news-story/e522bd978e89e118fc2cbf766bfb31ec

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Great news. They said they were hoping to get in sorted before Christmas so lets see if they can do that. Jackson's our last must re-signing we have to make imo even tho there are a few more players I'd keep.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Feels totally unnecessary, probably a fat contract also. Now we just need to top it off with a 450k per season deal for Elliott to drain the bank some more and prevent us from hitting the market.

Wyzguy

Bulldog Tragic
Reaction score
We need jacko but I think he needs to move to lock and let some of the more mobile guys play on the edges..
Great clubman !

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Feels totally unnecessary, probably a fat contract also. Now we just need to top it off with a 450k per season deal for Elliott to drain the bank some more and prevent us from hitting the market.
I think $450k for Elliott is a pretty low estimate I wouldn’t be surprised if they give him around $600k....

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wouldn’t expect anything less, good stuff jacko..!!

#BULLDOGS LEGEND..!!

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a feeling this was coming but see no need for it.
Why can’t the club just wait a bit to see how he goes next year
I personally didn’t think there was enough improvement in general to warrant an extension
Maybe I’m missing something

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why can’t the club just wait a bit to see how he goes next year
I personally didn’t think there was enough improvement in general to warrant an extension
Maybe I’m missing something
Couldn’t agree more I just don’t see the need for it. Wait until at least mid season in 2020 so we get a good idea on how the junior back rowers coming through are looking because sooner or later re-signing the likes of Elliott and C Smith is going to cost us one of those young guns.

Dog R Us

Waterboy
Reaction score
I think $450k for Elliott is a pretty low estimate I wouldn’t be surprised if they give him around $600k....
Why? Do you think other clubs are offering him anything in the vicinity of 600K? Do you think other clubs are offering him anything above 400k?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Lol please no, both Jackson and Elliott should be playing the same position and we're potentially going to be spending around $1.2m+ for the both of them per season...surely not :(

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why? Do you think other clubs are offering him anything in the vicinity of 600K? Do you think other clubs are offering him anything above 400k?
I don’t think he’s worth that at all but someone at the club told me you’d be surprised what Elliott is on currently. Now granted that’s juts hear say and we don’t know what he’s on but the way Pay gushes about Elliott I doubt he’s going to be getting anything under $500k.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like Jacko he deserves a few more years and is our inspirational captain
He will probably be the first to admit that it wasn’t his best year but we need him fully fit come round 1 and firing on all cylinders
Napa,Stimson,RFM and their mates also need to step up and follow Josh.
I’m confident in his leadership

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lol please no, both Jackson and Elliott should be playing the same position and we're potentially going to be spending around $1.2m+ for the both of them per season...surely not :(
It’s probably around $1.5m for Jackson, Elliot and C Smith....

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
JJ is surely the most durable player in the game, I dont think he has missed a single game due to injury in his career.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree with your Elliot sentiment, but you don’t want Jackson??

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Without JJ the club would lose its DNA. Love this champion.