NRL crackdown leads to dramatic drop in third-party deals

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The drop in overall TPA's would have more to do with the off field dramas than anything the NRL have done to reign them in. And that's what the idiot players fail to understand.

Dog R Us

Waterboy
Reaction score
Always up for a challenge (not in any particular order);
#1. JWH, signed by Chooks from the SeaGulls in 2010, played for NZ in 2009, so already was an International level forward.
#2. Angus Crichton, signed by Chooks from the Wabbits in 2019, played State of Origin in 2018, so already was an representative level forward.
#3. Zane Tetevano, signed by Chooks from the Nights in 2017, played at International level for the Cook Islands and New Zealand.
#4. Suaia Matagi, signed by the Chooks in 2015, after playing at International level for Samoa and New Zealand.
#5. Sio Siua Taukeiaho, signed by the Chooks in 2015 from the Warriors, after playing at International level for Tonga and New Zealand.
#6. Rémi Cast, signed by the Chooks from Catalans in 2014, after playing at International Level for France many many times.
#7. Luke O'Donnell, signed by the Chooks from Hudersfield in 2013, after playing State of Origin, City, NRL All Stars and Australia many times.
Plus Sam Moa, Nafe Seluini etc.

On average 1 to 2 International and/or SOO level forwards every single year. Maybe you don't consider an SOO or International level player a "big name", but most NRL clubs would be extremely happy to have that level of forward quality every year.

Go Dogs
1. JWH played 6 games off the bench for Manly. Wasn't a big name signing at the time
2. Crichton- i already mentioned him and SBW-
3. Tetevano -Sacked by the Knights for domestic violence and then Manly before playing a game. Nobody wanted him
4. Suaia Matagi- Told by the Warriors he was free to go. Signed by Roosters for bugger all for half a year and left the same year
5. Sio Siua Taukeiaho- told by Warriors after 1 first grade game he wasnt wanted. His only offer came from the Roosters after his manager approached them
6. Casty- 30 year old who asked his old coach Trent Robinson for a chance in the NRL as he had no offers and got paid accordingly. Left after 1 year
7. O'Donnell- 33 years old and washed up- came back for 1 year and then wasnt offered another contract-anywhere

Sam Moa- sacked by Sharks after 1 game his Hull old team mate Craig Fitzgibbon got him a start at the Roosters
Seluini- told by Penrith he was free to go halfway through the 2012 season

This is just a big mish mash of rubble- not a celebrated big name high priced signing amongst them- and that was over seasons 2013 to 2018.Only JWH and recently Taukeiaho got upgraded to big dollars- and on results they deserve to be

Certainly nothing like the big bucks we paid Tony Williams, Greg Eastwood, Frank Pritchard, James Graham, Aiden Tolman and even that disaster Lichaa. We even overpaid for Napa.

We need to get some talent rising through the junior ranks in the forwards- players we developed like Josh Jackson, Kasiano, Klemmer, Cook, Finucane. If we cant produce a top liner for hooker, halfback and fullback then thats where the money should go

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
1. JWH played 6 games off the bench for Manly. Wasn't a big name signing at the time
2. Crichton- i already mentioned him and SBW-
3. Tetevano -Sacked by the Knights for domestic violence and then Manly before playing a game. Nobody wanted him
4. Suaia Matagi- Told by the Warriors he was free to go. Signed by Roosters for bugger all for half a year and left the same year
5. Sio Siua Taukeiaho- told by Warriors after 1 first grade game he wasnt wanted. His only offer came from the Roosters after his manager approached them
6. Casty- 30 year old who asked his old coach Trent Robinson for a chance in the NRL as he had no offers and got paid accordingly. Left after 1 year
7. O'Donnell- 33 years old and washed up- came back for 1 year and then wasnt offered another contract-anywhere

Sam Moa- sacked by Sharks after 1 game his Hull old team mate Craig Fitzgibbon got him a start at the Roosters
Seluini- told by Penrith he was free to go halfway through the 2012 season

This is just a big mish mash of rubble- not a celebrated big name high priced signing amongst them- and that was over seasons 2013 to 2018.Only JWH and recently Taukeiaho got upgraded to big dollars- and on results they deserve to be

Certainly nothing like the big bucks we paid Tony Williams, Greg Eastwood, Frank Pritchard, James Graham, Aiden Tolman and even that disaster Lichaa. We even overpaid for Napa.

We need to get some talent rising through the junior ranks in the forwards- players we developed like Josh Jackson, Kasiano, Klemmer, Cook, Finucane. If we cant produce a top liner for hooker, halfback and fullback then thats where the money should go
Nice try at diversion, you asked for "big names" and I listed 7 Internationals and other Representative players signed by the Chooks, to me that qualifies them as "big names". Maybe you have another criteria?

From my perspective Eastwood, Pritchard, Graham and Toleman provided value for money over their contract terms (back ended contracts need to be considered in terms of that).

Williams obviously didn't, but using your list neither was O'Donnell, Casty and Matagi. So the Chooks are 3 times worse than us.:smirk:

Not sure why you even mentioned Lichaa in a list of "big names" he was signed as a prospect that never eventuated, shit happens.

We didn't develop Cook, he came to us from the Drag ons. But please make up your mind, if he was produced by us and he's a hooker and a top liner then what's your point in mentioning him?

As for Napa, time will tell whether or not he is worth his contract value or not, far too early to call on that one. Not that I'm sure any of us are in position to tell as we don't know what his actual contract value is.

At the very least I got you to recognise that you were 100% wrong since JWH and Taukeiaho were and continue to be a good big name signings.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure why you even mentioned Lichaa in a list of "big names" he was signed as a prospect that never eventuated, shit happens.
Hang on Lichaa is "big name" according to your qualifying process as he had played rep footy before joining the club.....

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Hang on Lichaa is "big name" according to your qualifying process as he had played rep footy before joining the club.....
Nope, Dog R Us used him, I was simply refuting that.
Shouldn't that be "Dogs Are Us" ;)

Go Dogs

Dog R Us

Waterboy
Reaction score
Nice try at diversion, you asked for "big names" and I listed 7 Internationals and other Representative players signed by the Chooks, to me that qualifies them as "big names". Maybe you have another criteria?

From my perspective Eastwood, Pritchard, Graham and Toleman provided value for money over their contract terms (back ended contracts need to be considered in terms of that).

Williams obviously didn't, but using your list neither was O'Donnell, Casty and Matagi. So the Chooks are 3 times worse than us.:smirk:

We didn't develop Cook, he came to us from the Drag ons. But please make up your mind, if he was produced by us and he's a hooker and a top liner then what's your point in mentioning him?

As for Napa, time will tell whether or not he is worth his contract value or not, far too early to call on that one. Not that I'm sure any of us are in position to tell as we don't know what his actual contract value is.

At the very least I got you to recognise that you were 100% wrong since JWH and Taukeiaho were and continue to be a good big name signings.
My original question was-from my very first post- "in 2013 they bought SBW. In 2019 they bought Angus Crichton. I ask you-in between 2013 and 2019 name me 1 top line expensive forward they have purchased- just name me 1". Every player you have mentioned wasn't an expensive purchase- but because they have played the odd international for minnows you want to classify them as a high priced purchase. Totally rubbish.

I got no idea what makes you think that i recognise JWH and Taukeiaho were initially big name expensive purchases. Taukeiaho wasn't wanted by any NRL club-1 game and sacked by the Warriors. Just like when JWH signed with the Roosters no one even knew who he was.

Yet you think that Eastwood, Pritchard, Graham and Tolman provided value for money? We made one grand final since 2014- if thats your idea for value for money then your easily pleased. Its not too early to make a call on Napa- he's 27 years old. To pay $650,000 a year a 1 dimensional defender is ludicrous.

Sorry but mediocracy and the Bulldogs don't sit well with me.I came from a time when success was not only expected but it was delivered. Our lack of recent success is totally the fault of inept management. Put the money in scouting young prospects from all over Australia & NZ , and look after them when they arrive-its has always been the foundation on which the club has had success

Dog R Us

Waterboy
Reaction score
Nope, Dog R Us used him, I was simply refuting that.
Shouldn't that be "Dogs Are Us" ;)

Go Dogs
I think you missed the point that Spoonman84 was making- you pulled me up about mentioning Lichaa but he was saying by your "international" criteria i had every right to.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think you missed the point that Spoonman84 was making- you pulled me up about mentioning Lichaa but he was saying by your "international" criteria i had every right to.
Seriously, there was no point to be made, my international and representative criteria for each player individually was spelled out in the original post,
#1. JWH, NZ
#2. Angus Crichton, State of Origin
#3. Zane Tetevano, New Zealand.
#4. Suaia Matagi, New Zealand.
#5. Sio Siua Taukeiaho, New Zealand.
#7. Luke O'Donnell, State of Origin and Australia

Obviously my criteria was SoO, NZ and Australia, albeit I did include Rémi Casty on the basis of him having played for France so many times.

Go Dogs

Dog R Us

Waterboy
Reaction score
Seriously, there was no point to be made, my international and representative criteria for each player individually was spelled out in the original post,
#1. JWH, NZ
#2. Angus Crichton, State of Origin
#3. Zane Tetevano, New Zealand.
#4. Suaia Matagi, New Zealand.
#5. Sio Siua Taukeiaho, New Zealand.
#7. Luke O'Donnell, State of Origin and Australia

Obviously my criteria was SoO, NZ and Australia, albeit I did include Rémi Casty on the basis of him having played for France so many times.

Go Dogs
Thats your criteria- i'm talking about at what cost did the club have to pay to get them. Ive mentioned Angus Crichton.
So in the end that leaves:

Tetevano- who made his NZ debut this year. Sacked by 2 clubs
Matagi - released by Warriors for half a year at Roosters
Taukeiaho- unwanted by anyone
O'Donnell- 1 year at 33 years of age-he came cheap
JWH- 6 games for Manly off the bench

Ill leave it there because we are just going over the same thing. Hate them us we all may for their success but they get the balance right. Waiting for a salary cap rort bust or a whistleblower is nonsense- its not going to happen because they don't need to rort the system. Some of the stuff written in these forums about cash in car boots and glove boxes etc etc. - i mean is that what todays Bulldog supporters are about? Whinging and whining with vivid imaginations?
Well fark that. I want our club to get better in everything it does because i want to see success and premierships- and settle for nothing less

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moley Warning!!!

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/south-...act-news/a33296bd-9f1e-4931-90c0-f5b10a9c4d60

NRL RELEASE THIRD PARTY AGREEMENT DETAILS

The NRL released the values of the 16 clubs' third party agreements (TPAs) last week, and they raised plenty of eyebrows.

But the figures - published on the NRL's official website - only show what the clubs officially list as TPAs.

Several clubs have found ways to funnel money to players by TPAs that are not on the books.

One club, for instance, has a wealthy property developer as a benefactor and he builds apartment blocks, then sells units to star players for far less than market value.

It's not illegal (although somewhat shady) and the NRL even knows it happens.

And then, of course, there is the best TPA of all - the renowned brown paper bag.
-----------------------------------------------

wouldn't be surprised if Rorters have Bouris giving the players 0% interest loans to pay for said under-priced units...

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Thats your criteria- i'm talking about at what cost did the club have to pay to get them. Ive mentioned Angus Crichton.
So in the end that leaves:
Tetevano- who made his NZ debut this year. Sacked by 2 clubs
Matagi - released by Warriors for half a year at Roosters
Taukeiaho- unwanted by anyone
O'Donnell- 1 year at 33 years of age-he came cheap
JWH- 6 games for Manly off the bench

Ill leave it there because we are just going over the same thing. Hate them us we all may for their success but they get the balance right. Waiting for a salary cap rort bust or a whistleblower is nonsense- its not going to happen because they don't need to rort the system. Some of the stuff written in these forums about cash in car boots and glove boxes etc etc. - i mean is that what todays Bulldog supporters are about? Whinging and whining with vivid imaginations?
Well fark that. I want our club to get better in everything it does because i want to see success and premierships- and settle for nothing less
I understand your point of view, I don't agree with it, but I understand it. Just quickly, JWH had played for NZ before the Chooks signed him, the undeniable fact is they signed an NZ International, how he got to be an NZ International (in the face of considerable competition BTW) is irrelevant. No doubt the Chooks took some chances with players that had outside of football issues, but they were still International (NZ or Aus) and/or SoO level players. So their playing ability wasn't questioned. They are currently getting it "right", for the last 2 years, but it wasn't the case for the 5 years prior or the 13 years before that. Politis, the used car salesman, AKA the "Cheat from the East", has been Chooks Chairman since 1993, 4 premierships in 26 years, wooden spoon in 2009, he's not as great or successful as some would have us believe.

I know our recent history as I am sure you do, letting the development paths slip and tying to buy premierships with stupidly back ended contracts. Looking from the outside in I see lots of effort going in to correcting that, but the hole was unbelievably deep and it takes some work to get out of. I'm no whiner or whinger.

Go Dogs

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Moley Warning!!!

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/south-...act-news/a33296bd-9f1e-4931-90c0-f5b10a9c4d60

The NRL released the values of the 16 clubs' third party agreements (TPAs) last week, and they raised plenty of eyebrows.

But the figures - published on the NRL's official website - only show what the clubs officially list as TPAs.

Several clubs have found ways to funnel money to players by TPAs that are not on the books.

One club, for instance, has a wealthy property developer as a benefactor and he builds apartment blocks, then sells units to star players for far less than market value.

And then, of course, there is the best TPA of all - the renowned brown paper bag.

wouldn't be surprised if Rorters have Bouris giving the players 0% interest loans to pay for said under-priced units...
That's clear dodging the cap lol

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moley Warning!!!

Pretty sure Mole is referring to the Cowboys and Lawrence Lancini.

Dog R Us

Waterboy
Reaction score
. Just quickly, JWH had played for NZ before the Chooks signed him, the undeniable fact is they signed an NZ International, how he got to be an NZ International (in the face of considerable competition BTW) is irrelevant.
Well JWH was signed in 2010- so it wasn't in-between SBW 2013 & Crichton 2019. So that leaves Tetevano, Taukiaho, O'Donnell and Matagi as there "best" signings in the forwards in 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018. When you consider O'Donnell played 1 year, Matagi half a year, Taukiaho and Tetevano had no offers from any club......What do you think they would have offered these player on the scrapheap? No wonder the could afford marquee signings and remain cap compliant.

You got to be kidding about Nick Politis. Since he became chairman they have 9 semi final appearances, 8 grand finals, 4 Premierships, 5 minor premierships......and the best we can do is call him a cheat? Bloody hell i wish we had him at the helm of our club and not Ray Dib.

You really think they have been only getting it right the last 2 years? What the hell do you think of our record in the last 25 years then?

If i sound jealous of their success it's because i am. If you think i'm going to call them cheats with absolutely no proof to help justify our inadequacies then i'm not. We need to be accountable for the past to make it change for the future. We have the resources and finance to match them in every department in player development- we just have to now be smarter about it. Theres absolutely no reason why we cant be better than Roosters,Storm,Broncos- any of them....and i want that success!!!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
If you believe that shit, I have some magic beans I want to sell you...

Dog R Us

Waterboy
Reaction score
If you believe that shit, I have some magic beans I want to sell you...
Is it the same magic beans that relieves you from accountability and transfers your own shortcomings as the fault of everyone else?
No ill pass. Im old so just let me live in the past so i can have the memories of the Bulldogs being a kick arse club who got shit done on and off the field.....irrespective of what everyone else was doing.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
More like Bouris is paying the Roosters players loans!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Since we talk about the salary cap a lot ............ agents get caught .................. source https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/18/nrl-statement---player-agents/

NRL Chief Operating Officer Nick Weeks said the Game expected the highest standard of conduct from player agents. “Our integrity unit has conducted extensive investigations over a number of months which has resulted in disciplinary proceedings against four player agents,’’ he said. Mr Weeks said this year had been the first season the NRL has had the power to sanction player agents. “The reform of the rules relating to player agents at the end of last year has allowed the NRL to hold player agents accountable in the same way as Players and Club Officials.”
Gavin Orr The NRL has following a disciplinary process determined that Gavin Orr’s accreditation as an NRL Player Agent should be cancelled. He has sought leave to appeal this decision before the NRL Appeals Committee with the matter to be heard in February 2020. The conduct of Mr Orr that has given rise to the determination to cancel his agent accreditation involves knowingly aiding a breach of the NRL’s Salary Cap Rules.
Antoun Zibara The NRL has sanctioned Antoun Zibara for breaching the NRL’s Rules regulating the conduct of player agents. The offending conduct involved knowingly submitting several NRL Player Contracts which had not been witnessed in accordance with the NRL Rules.
Isaac Moses The NRL has issued a Notice under the NRL Accredited Agent Scheme Rules to Isaac Moses. This notice is the initiating step in disciplinary proceedings and operates as a show cause notice. It provides Mr Moses with an opportunity to show cause why his accreditation should not be suspended or cancelled as a result of the matters alleged. The Notice alleges that Mr Moses breached his obligations as an Accredited Agent by counselling or assisting a person to not co-operate fully with the NRL Integrity and Compliance Unit.
Mario Tartak (not cap related) Mario Tartak’s accreditation was suspended on 15 November 2019 following the discovery of previously undisclosed bankruptcy proceedings. Mr Tartak’s accreditation was reinstated in late November following the resolution of those proceedings. The NRL has now issued a Notice to Mr Tartak in connection with his failure to notify the Agent Accreditation Scheme of the bankruptcy proceedings when they arose.
Go Dogs

Last edited: