NRL Preliminary Final, 1998 - Canterbury Bulldogs vs Parramatta Eels

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was at that game.
One of the highlights of my life with the Bulldogs. Who can forget it.
A team with incredible belief and the fitness to pull it off.
Top 3 best days of my life. Being at the game on the 30m line in the corner of the field where we scored all the points.. Still gives me goose bumps.

turveys asthma puffer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Top 3 best days of my life. Being at the game on the 30m line in the corner of the field where we scored all the points.. Still gives me goose bumps.
I was on that side where they scored the last 3 tries also but on the 10m line which for that game was a non alcohol section. We smuggled hit flasks of scotch in and poured into large cokes. Halligan kicked the equaliser from right in front of us. My recollt is that Silva was well contained by the Parramatta kick chase for 65 minutes but burnt them in the last 15. Absolute champion.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was on that side where they scored the last 3 tries also but on the 10m line which for that game was a non alcohol section. We smuggled hit flasks of scotch in and poured into large cokes. Halligan kicked the equaliser from right in front of us. My recollt is that Silva was well contained by the Parramatta kick chase for 65 minutes but burnt them in the last 15. Absolute champion.
The memories are so vivid aren't they...

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at that game.
One of the highlights of my life with the Bulldogs. Who can forget it.
A team with incredible belief and the fitness to pull it off.
I was too and consider it a great moment in life giving it to Parra fans.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve Folkes first year as coach and he would take us on one of the most memorable decades of our history. Folkes's teams always played like their coach used to play, tough and punching well above their weight!!!

Janice

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We had Eels supporters sitting behind us, I still remember their names Pam and Sue. They went and bought their grand final tickets that day before the game even started they were so convinced Parramatta was going to win. Kept saying we’ve waited 13years for this. When the game finished I turned around and said looks like you’ll be waiting another 13 years.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Referees today would've buckled under pressure and called it a forward pass, even though it wasnt.
It wasn't even line ball, it was well and truly backwards.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
My favorite part was Steve Folkes asked if that was the best game he had ever seen, and replied "Best game I've seen since last week". For those with short memories, we had the same comeback the week before against Newcastle in the first semi.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
Do you remember that Warriors game on a cold and wet Saturday afternoon at Belmore when we got the cleaners put through us? There's no way in the world I thought we were making the finals let alone GF after that.

I think that was Simon Gilles last game and after Britt became captain we never looked back.
Yeah I do remember that... I think the next couple of weeks we also got pumped by North Sydney at Belmore and Brisbane.

The turning point for me was when we lost to Parramatta 6-7... Our defence was different from that point on, I remember an article where Steve Folkes RIP said the QLD boys came back from the series with ideas in a different defensive structure, he said they incorporated parts of it.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
My favorite part was Steve Folkes asked if that was the best game he had ever seen, and replied "Best game I've seen since last week". For those with short memories, we had the same comeback the week before against Newcastle in the first semi.
That was without Polla Mounter also! Glen Hughes and Corey Hughes were 6 and 7 with Travis Norton (One of my fav's) chiming in with some attack.
Glen scored from a dummy and Corey Hughes scored after running it on the last to tie the game (Norton magic from memory), they showed up the John's boys in that game LOL.