Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
NRL’s lost boys: 30 players who can’t find a club
Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
This is the NRL’s squad of 30 “homeless” players still without a club heading into Christmas.

While they might not be rugby league’s biggest names, they have become the face of a huge issue that some of the NRL’s most experienced football minds fear is now tearing apart the game’s talent pool.

It relates to ridiculous red tape that is today destroying dreams.

As it stands, every NRL club is now restricted to owning a top squad of 30 players.

As well, a further six development players are also eligible to play in the top grade in any given season but only after June 30.

What this means is that some exceptional young players — including Jai Field and Tyrell Fuimaono — as well as seasoned professionals like Kyle Turner and Michael Lichaa are being locked out because clubs can’t afford to carry them as back up players, simply because they can’t be used in the top grade.

So many are ultimately lost to the game for good.

In past decades clubs would have a stack of experienced players combined with young talent holding up the lowers grades.

Importantly, all were eligible for a call-up if the stars aligned at their perfect moment in time.

Not anymore.

Stream over 50 sports Live & On-Demand with KAYO SPORTS on your TV, computer, mobile or tablet. Just $25/month, no lock-in contract. Get your 14-day free trial and start streaming instantly >

Michael Lichaa doesn’t have a club for 2020. Picture: Alix Sweeney
After the most recent players’ collective bargaining agreement it was decided to look after the top squad and put white-out through the rest.

Apparently, it was designed to stop clubs stock piling stars and give greater player security.

Instead it has really created another rod for the NRL’s back.

Peter Mulholland is currently Canberra’s recruitment chief but over time has worked at every level of coaching and recruitment for four decades.

He believes this issue has the potential to leave the NRL short of its most important asset in years to come, talent depth.

“The system is wrong because it limits who a club can play,” Mulholland said.

“What is wrong with a bloke having a dream of playing one NRL game?

“If I had played one first grade game it would have been the pinnacle of my career.

“But now, you might have a guy who jumps out of the ground one year and is ready for NRL.

“But if he is not in your top 30 you can’t play him.

“Every club would have six or seven of these type of players who could still be playing reserve grade that you could bring up if you had to and they would do a job.

“But you can’t do it anymore.

“So these players are often lost to the game and it is taking away depth and experience and it is not good.”

Jai Field is also on the lookout for a new club.
Respected player agent Steve Gillis agreed: “I think there has to be a better solution and I have no doubt it will be refined at some stage but when I don’t know.”

But it could be too late for many on this list that includes Kyle Turner, Josh Hoffman, George Fai, Patrick Mago, Michael Lichaa, Danny Fualalo, John Olive, Nu Brown, Kaiyne-Lee Kalache, Aaron Gray, Brenko Lee, Jack Stockwell, Greg Leleisiuao, Hame Sele, Paea Pua, Nick Lui-Toso, Jai Field, Lachlan Maranta, Patrick Kaufusi, Darren Nichols, Lachlan Timm, Billy Brittain, Jacob Gagan, Mawene Hiroti, Bernard Lewis, Lloyd Perrett, Tyrell Fuimaono, Zac Woolford, Javid Bowen and Gideon Gela-Mosby.

These are the names we have identified but there would be more.

In an era when the NRL has never had greater financial riches all this experience is apparently too expensive to keep. And it is not just older players, but young guns with huge potential like Tyrell Fuimaono.

This bloke was a junior representative at every level for NSW – from 16s up and including 18s, 20s as well as Junior Kangaroos.

But consecutive injuries while playing at South Sydney and Penrith has now left his career at the crossroads.

He might get a club for next year, he might not.

But at just 23 is he too young and talented for the game to give up on?

Tyrell Fuimaono has huge potential. Picture: Getty Images
Right now Fuimaono is working on a building site and hoping to get a late call up before Christmas.

“It is making players retire far too early,” Mulholland added.

“This is not about them wanting to be paid top dollar, it is about giving them opportunity.

“They just want to play footy and have a shot at playing NRL if they are good enough.

“How can we afford not to give them that?”

NRL'S HOMELESS STARS
Player / former club Player / former club Player / former club
Josh Hoffman (Eels) Brenko Lee (Titans) Lachlan Timm (Dragons)
Greg Leleisiuao (Eels) Jack Stockwell (Titans) Kyle Turner (Rabbitohs)
George Fai (Broncos) Tyrell Fuimaono (Panthers) Billy Brittain (Rabbitohs)
Patrick Mago (Broncos) Hame Sele (Panthers) Jacob Gagan (Rabbitohs)
Michael Lichaa (Bulldogs) Paea Pua (Panthers) Mawene Hiroti (Rabbitohs)
Danny Fualalo (Bulldogs) Nick Lui-Toso (Panthers) Bernard Lewis (Roosters)
John Olive (Bulldogs) Jai Field (Dragons) Lloyd Perrett (Sea Eagles)
Nu Brown (Bulldogs) Lachlan Maranta (Dragons) Zac Woolford (Knights)
Kaiyne-Lee Kalache (Bulldogs) Patrick Kaufusi (Dragons) Javid Bowen (Cowboys)
Aaron Gray (Sharks) Darren Nichols (Dragons) Gideon Gela-Mosby (Cowboys)

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
NRL'S HOMELESS STARS
Player / former club Player / former club Player / former club
Josh Hoffman (Eels) Brenko Lee (Titans) Lachlan Timm (Dragons)
Greg Leleisiuao (Eels) Jack Stockwell (Titans) Kyle Turner (Rabbitohs)
George Fai (Broncos) Tyrell Fuimaono (Panthers) Billy Brittain (Rabbitohs)
Patrick Mago (Broncos) Hame Sele (Panthers) Jacob Gagan (Rabbitohs)
Michael Lichaa (Bulldogs) Paea Pua (Panthers) Mawene Hiroti (Rabbitohs)
Danny Fualalo (Bulldogs) Nick Lui-Toso (Panthers) Bernard Lewis (Roosters)
John Olive (Bulldogs) Jai Field (Dragons) Lloyd Perrett (Sea Eagles)
Nu Brown (Bulldogs) Lachlan Maranta (Dragons) Zac Woolford (Knights)
Kaiyne-Lee Kalache (Bulldogs) Patrick Kaufusi (Dragons) Javid Bowen (Cowboys)
Aaron Gray (Sharks) Darren Nichols (Dragons) Gideon Gela-Mosby (Cowboys)
You can put together a decent Canterbury Cup team with those names.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Field and Timm are available? hmmmm

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lichaa seems to be taking his time weighing up all those offers

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh yea.. Gagan !!

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So many dogs / former dogs... Farout we have had some plodders over the years

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm surprise Timm not sign could a good pick was coached by Dean Pay before I think at Melbourne.
Yh big motor, big metres and still young. Not sure what's doing for him to be without a club, was a top performer in the ISP last season.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe it wasn't Des all along and Lichaa is just shit?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe it wasn't Des all along and Lichaa is just shit?

look how good shanky mc'shanks played this year.... and the rest of the Manly team.. Des is a proven quality coach, Lichaa is an unproven dud

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure Timm and Perrett are on some kind of deal with the Broncos.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
look how good shanky mc'shanks played this year.... and the rest of the Manly team.. Des is a proven quality coach, Lichaa is an unproven dud
I want to see how Des goes when he builds his own squad again. I thought back ended deals weren’t allowed anymore but apparently the Trbojevic’s deals are backended. He might buy Lichaa. It would make my day haha

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I want to see how Des goes when he builds his own squad again. I thought back ended deals weren’t allowed anymore but apparently the Trbojevic’s deal is backended. He might buy Lichaa. It would make my day haha
I think what Des has done with some of the guys who were average, unknown, or inconsistent is the mark of his coaching.... thought Joel Thompson had his best season by far, Sironen was solid... Gosiewski much improved.. I know they have a much better spine than us, but Turbo was out most of the season, and it was musical chairs for five eighth

wouldn't that be funny... even funnier than him going to the Tigs lol

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Some players would be happy just to play NRL. They can have a day job and pull on the Jersey when needed for a pie and a Coke.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
But it could be too late for many on this list that includes Kyle Turner, Josh Hoffman, George Fai, Patrick Mago, Michael Lichaa, Danny Fualalo, John Olive, Nu Brown, Kaiyne-Lee Kalache, Aaron Gray, Brenko Lee, Jack Stockwell, Greg Leleisiuao, Hame Sele, Paea Pua, Nick Lui-Toso, Jai Field, Lachlan Maranta, Patrick Kaufusi, Darren Nichols, Lachlan Timm, Billy Brittain, Jacob Gagan, Mawene Hiroti, Bernard Lewis, Lloyd Perrett, Tyrell Fuimaono, Zac Woolford, Javid Bowen and Gideon Gela-Mosby.
Time for the NRL to create a new team "The Misfits", featuring all those players who can't get gigs elsewhere.

There is some reasonable talent there that could come cheap: Field (surely a better option than Toa Mata'afa), Gela-Mosby (no replacement for speed), Hiroti, Brittain (surely a better option than Marschke).

Lichaa, Fualalo, Olive, Brown, Lee, Perrett, Woolford - gifts from a Bulldogs past LOL. Woolford leaves for a shot at first grade and now finds himself clubless a season later.

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Time for the NRL to create a new team "The Misfits", featuring all those players who can't get gigs elsewhere.

There is some reasonable talent there that could come cheap: Field (surely a better option than Toa Mata'afa), Gela-Mosby (no replacement for speed), Hiroti, Brittain (surely a better option than Marschke).

Lichaa, Fualalo, Olive, Brown, Lee, Perrett, Woolford - gifts from a Bulldogs past LOL. Woolford leaves for a shot at first grade and now finds himself clubless a season later.
Could be merit in this as the NrLOL wants to expand into new markets, you have 2 new teams that get passed around to a new town each season, The Barbarians and the Mercenaries!

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think what Des has done with some of the guys who were average, unknown, or inconsistent is the mark of his coaching.... thought Joel Thompson had his best season by far, Sironen was solid... Gosiewski much improved.. I know they have a much better spine than us, but Turbo was out most of the season, and it was musical chairs for five eighth

wouldn't that be funny... even funnier than him going to the Tigs lol
True and fatboi Suli true. They definitely surprised a lot of people including me.
It will be interesting to see how they go.
I absolutely despise everything about Manly so will be death riding them haha