NRL crackdown leads to dramatic drop in third-party deals

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can the Roosters TPA's figure be only $64,000 when most of the players are driving in sponsored vehicle's? One car alone is worth this.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can the Roosters TPA's figure be only $64,000 when most of the players are driving in sponsored vehicle's? One car alone is worth this.
Perhaps we're reading it wrong? Maybe that figure is the average per player @ the roosters (so 1.9 mil across 30 players) whereas everyone elses figure is the total across the entire squad lol

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
What is "whole of game sponsorship"? And why is it excluded as a TPA if it is not part of their salary?
No idea.. but I have seen Cooper with nice new cars and he was just one of the squad members... I wonder what was in the glove box of each of those cars

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
No idea.. but I have seen Cooper with nice new cars and he was just one of the squad members... I wonder what was in the glove box of each of those cars
Not a boxing glove, that's for sure.

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Because it's not given its a free rental by uncle nick. He's not actually giving them anything of value just letting them borrow any brand new car they see fit until another one comes around.

This has nothing to note of the other agreements of sign with us and my mate down bondi burger cafe will sponsor you $200k a year also for promotion of his cafe on instagram etc... The NRL has no idea about these agreements they're made completely behind closed doors in backroom discussion.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't doubt the story is accurate on what the Roosters declare - they won't tell us about the unclaimed ones though.....
Oh yeah, and we won't talk about totally untraceable cold hard cash they pass on in sports bags!!!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Teams like the Chooks and Broncos prove that you can bend the cap and get away with it. Good luck to them it’s our fault that we aren’t doing the same.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because it's not given its a free rental by uncle nick. He's not actually giving them anything of value just letting them borrow any brand new car they see fit until another one comes around.

This has nothing to note of the other agreements of sign with us and my mate down bondi burger cafe will sponsor you $200k a year also for promotion of his cafe on instagram etc... The NRL has no idea about these agreements they're made completely behind closed doors in backroom discussion.
Even giving the cars free is against the rules. It's not arms length so uncle Nick and his company's can't provide anything to players. Players and clubs even have to declare free tickets for families to the salary cap auditor.

None of these figures can persuade me to think the Roosters are compliant and your example is spot on with what they are doing.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps we're reading it wrong? Maybe that figure is the average per player @ the roosters (so 1.9 mil across 30 players) whereas everyone elses figure is the total across the entire squad lol
lol.. or there is a typo and they forgot to add a zero. It's a total joke the roosters only getting $69,000 TPA's. I saw Boyd Cordiner in an Aldi 4WD in the Eastern Suburbs. Probably worth $100k+. Maybe he just borrowed it from Uncle Nick lol

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The entire story is just plain out ridiculous and really an insult to anyone with half a brain really.
I’ve said on many occasions that the NRL is so far behind other organisations in terms of professionalism & transparency.
Amateur at the highest level
Sneaky payments to the players are totally untraceable.
What a joke

Last edited:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have no idea why everyone doesn't believe the roosters figures.... 69k sounds about right.. RIGHT FOR EVERYONE IN THE 30 MAN SQUAD BESIDES CRONK AND TESEDESCO!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I seen to be doing a lot of this lately, sorry if this sounds harsh, but before commenting on the salary cap you really should read the NRL rules;
https://www.nrl.com/operations/integrity/salary-cap/

What players can earn outside the salary cap
$100,000 - Motor Vehicle Allowance – a maximum amount of five motor vehicles may be provided to players in the Top 30 outside of the salary cap. (Valued at $20,000 each).

Unlimited - Players can earn unlimited amounts from corporate sponsors who are not associated with the club and who do not use the game's intellectual property (no club logos, jerseys or emblems) provided these are pre-approved by both a Player’s Club and the NRL. These agreements may not be negotiated by the club as an incentive for a player to sign a contract, nor can they be guaranteed by the club.

Other Benefits - Tertiary education fees, approved traineeships, medical insurance costs, relocation/temporary accommodation costs are not included in the cap but must be approved
Hence cars, TPA's and education expenses (remember Cronk's fees to Harvard to be paid by the chooks) are not in the salary cap.

While there I might as well mention the V&D Player Allowance (good for someone like Jackson);
$0.2 million – Veteran and Developed Player Allowance for eligible players who were either developed by the Club prior to becoming NRL players and / or have been a Top 30 player for at least 8 years at the Club or have been a Top 30 player for at least 10 years across the game
Lastly "whole of game sponsorship" is where someone like Ennis (when he was playing) gets paid by the NRL itself to appear on Foxtel to provide "expert" commentary etc. Regularly on the footy show, radio, podcasts etc. Foxtel, FTA channels etc pay for that service included in the amount that they pay the NRL for the broadcasting rights to games. The NRL then pays the players for their time in carrying out that work. Obviously it's the "star" players that they want on their shows, so the star studded teams get the most benefit. Many players use this as their stepping stone to a career after football.

FWIW the NRL salary cap auditor can demand access to players' tax returns and bank accounts and the ATO doesn't take kindly to under declaring income (they call it Tax Fraud and people go to goal for it). For sure it's not perfect but there is a lot of auditing which increases every year and the risks of getting caught get higher every year. There is no real limit on the ATO as to how far back they can go to investigate tax fraud, so the risk there does't go away just because a payer has retired.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I seen to be doing a lot of this lately, sorry if this sounds harsh, but before commenting on the salary cap you really should read the NRL rules;

Hence cars, TPA's and education expenses (remember Cronk's fees to Harvard to be paid by the chooks) are not in the salary cap.

While there I might as well mention the V&D Player Allowance (good for someone like Jackson);

Lastly "whole of game sponsorship" is where someone like Ennis (when he was playing) gets paid by the NRL itself to appear on Foxtel to provide "expert" commentary etc. Regularly on the footy show, radio, podcasts etc. Foxtel, FTA channels etc pay for that service included in the amount that they pay the NRL for the broadcasting rights to games. The NRL then pays the players for their time in carrying out that work. Obviously it's the "star" players that they want on their shows, so the star studded teams get the most benefit. Many players use this as their stepping stone to a career after football.

FWIW the NRL salary cap auditor can demand access to players' tax returns and bank accounts and the ATO doesn't take kindly to under declaring income (they call it Tax Fraud and people go to goal for it). For sure it's not perfect but there is a lot of auditing which increases every year and the risks of getting caught get higher every year. There is no real limit on the ATO as to how far back they can go to investigate tax fraud, so the risk there does't go away just because a payer has retired.

Go Dogs
Hahah you make it sound like the NRL are expert investigators and nothing gets by them! I guess that’s why every single major breach of the cap has always had a whistle blower after years of rorting hadn’t been picked up in their audits. If you think it’s all a level playing field you’re kidding yourself. Good luck to the clubs cheating and out smarting the NRL it’s not hard to do and while we play good guys and follow cap regulations we will be always playing second fiddle.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
If they released the tpas why dont they release the breakdown of each clubs cap

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Go Dogs
So are you claiming that no teams cheat the cap and everything is above board and transparent? That these figures are completely accurate and that no clubs could find ways to circumvent these rules?

As Spoonman said, every major salary cap breach has been unconvered by a whistleblower and not by the NRL auditors. So if the NRL couldn't detect all of these massive breaches, what gives you so much confidence in their ability to police the cap?

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So are you claiming that no teams cheat the cap and everything is above board and transparent? That these figures are completely accurate and that no clubs could find ways to circumvent these rules?

As Spoonman said, every major salary cap breach has been unconvered by a whistleblower and not by the NRL auditors. So if the NRL couldn't detect all of these massive breaches, what gives you so much confidence in their ability to police the cap?
Totally agree there is virtually zero chance of getting caught out unless someone with a massive grip talks up.
A person who obviously is disgrunted because they didn’t get a slice of the pie somehow
At the end of the day NRL manegmeant should realise this issue has major ramifications in regards to certain teams fielding stronger teams and a very lob sided (competition)
In turn loosing fans who just get frustrated with the code in general.
It’s a shame because rugby league is a great game.