News Stimson: Why I left Storm for Bulldogs

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a no brainer, both him and To'omaga made a major difference through the middle and some of us were calling out for it for ages
Lets hope super coach give them more minutes then what they got this year though and less minutes to the likes of Tolman and Napa and Elliot

Smirrors

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The guy has no contract with Storm in 2020. Hes going to go for any team that offers him a contract.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
When a player leaves the Melbourne Storm the first question usually is: Why?

For second-rower Joe Stimson the answer comes in two parts. Firstly, Storm said he was free to look elsewhere and secondly, his chances of playing NRL regularly in the NRL were starting to dry up.

When a player chooses a club that has finished no higher than 11th in the past three seasons, the question is again: Why?

"I had a great opportunity to come here [to Canterbury] and improve my footy and a great opportunity to play more minutes," Stimson told NRL.com.

"The way the back-rowers were playing down in Melbourne, I saw myself as mainly a back-up there. I hope to be one of those getting a starting spot here."

Stimson played in all three finals games, including the grand final, for Storm in 2018. But he did not figure in any of Storm's 2019 finals teams.

"I had a [lower back] disc injury at the start of the year [missed opening 10 rounds] so that didn't help me at all.

"It set me back and then the way Kenny Bromwich started the year, you just have to respect that good form," Stimson said.

"He had it so he got the opportunities. I had to go the long way around. I got myself back on the bench for a little bit but that's where I stayed really."

From his three NRL seasons with the Storm, he had the leanest year in 2019 playing just 12 games. But he also had his best year for scoring tries – five.

"They said to me I could look around. By the sounds of it – and without actually saying it – there was no contract for me next year [2020]," Stimson said.

"I owe a lot to the Storm but I was grateful the Bulldogs came knocking."

The Temora-bred product could have had other suitors if he'd looked around longer. He's a former captain of Storm's Under-20s side and has over 50 NRL-games experience.

He was partly drawn by the reputation and history of the Bulldogs forwards.

"I'm sure it comes from the way they appreciate their past players. Everyone who has ever played first grade has their name on the wall down in the gym," Stimson said.

"There's pictures of guys who have played over 100 games. You're surrounded by the history here and I admire that.

"They've set a standard in this jersey so it's up to us to train hard and keep that going."

His first impressions of head coach Dean Pay are highly favourable.

"He's great to have a conversation with. He's quite approachable and listens to what you have to say, which is nice – and a bit old school like Craig [Bellamy]."

As for his new teammates, one stands out as he's also a former Storm player and new recruit for 2020 – Dean Britt.

"Deano … I know him very well. We're best mates. I lived with him for two years in Melbourne."

Is that the reason you came to Belmore?

"No, I signed before him so he's come to be with me. He copied me."

So now it's just up to Stimson to take his footy where he wants it to go.

"I just want to back myself a bit more. I don't think I've reached my potential of where I can get to.

"I want to play with confidence in the abilities that I have – passing the footy and being a bit more aggressive.

"I was a little tentative going into some games, not as confident as I wanted to be. I'm learning to appreciate that I deserve to be there and I can make a difference."

Source
Geez I’m looking forward to seeing this guy in blue & white and playing for the Dogs, I’m sure he will be a long term backrower for us!

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He lived with Deano??
That came in handy. Guaranteed starting position.
Like when Brett Dallas lived with the Anderson’s haha. I’d be checking the safe and jewelry box now!

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think hes a good player really surprised storm let him go

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give the guy a chance to find his feet. Let's not put shit on him if we don't see the best of him in 2020. He could be our x factor in our forwards so we need to let him find his way within the teams structure.

I am expecting big things from him as the Storm didn't allow him to bring out his best. He has got talent and has those 1%'s that make a difference.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a little more concerning about our recruitment team. Kotoa proactively called Pay and now Stimson reveals he didn't have an offer from the Storm. I wonder how we came to get Britt. I'd really like to know if our team pursued everyone they should have been pursuing.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a little more concerning about our recruitment team. Kotoa proactively called Pay and now Stimson reveals he didn't have an offer from the Storm. I wonder how we came to get Britt. I'd really like to know if our team pursued everyone they should have been pursuing.
There's not much available in the spine positions we need most, even for '21. I think that's the reason for the one year extensions - to be able to have a good crack at the market for the next 2 or 3 years, plus see which of our young guys are worth keeping. We need good performances next year to attract better players though, otherwise to get a coach who can do that. I hope it's the first one cause I like Pay and I hope he surprises me, plus I'm sick of waiting for something to happen so the sooner the better.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
There's not much available in the spine positions we need most, even for '21. I think that's the reason for the one year extensions - to be able to have a good crack at the market for the next 2 or 3 years, plus see which of our young guys are worth keeping. We need good performances next year to attract better players though, otherwise to get a coach who can do that. I hope it's the first one cause I like Pay and I hope he surprises me, plus I'm sick of waiting for something to happen so the sooner the better.
We're not going to get a top coach unless he's allowed to spend the $ to bring players in (top or emerging players come because of $ or success). Even then we're going to have to do something with a rebuild coach (Pay) for someone to want to come here. It's a massive risk for a coach to come here and why would they. I actually think Pay is a decent coach and has done a terrific job with what he has. Our results/"success" last year was for recruitment in 2021 (looking like little to no one), "success" in 2020 will be for 2022 and so on (you recruit a year in advance if you're targeting someone). I think it will be a while before we can just rely on success to attract/entice players (e.g. Roosters, Storm). If our recruitment method is to continue recruiting like we have been then Pay is the best person for the job imo.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're not going to get a top coach unless he's allowed to spend the $ to bring players in (top or emerging players come because of $ or success). Even then we're going to have to do something with a rebuild coach (Pay) for someone to want to come here. It's a massive risk for a coach to come here and why would they. I actually think Pay is a decent coach and has done a terrific job with what he has. Our results/"success" last year was for recruitment in 2021 (looking like little to no one), "success" in 2020 will be for 2022 and so on (you recruit a year in advance if you're targeting someone). I think it will be a while before we can just rely on success to attract/entice players (e.g. Roosters, Storm). If our recruitment method is to continue recruiting like we have been then Pay is the best person for the job imo.
Hope you're right. I'd rather build a team around a bunch of talented juniors myself, but we need a couple of game breakers and I haven't seen them coming through yet. We'll know a lot more about our young blokes after 2020, so fingers crossed a couple can shine.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hope you're right. I'd rather build a team around a bunch of talented juniors myself, but we need a couple of game breakers and I haven't seen them coming through yet. We'll know a lot more about our young blokes after 2020, so fingers crossed a couple can shine.
We're not going to be able to get the most talented juniors coming through for the same reasons above (less success/money being spent compared to other clubs) but we'll be able to attain some good ones that slip through the cracks. That's the same with opportunists and "rejects" (unwanted at their current club for whatever reason) that we buy. We just need to accept it can go the other way too (e.g. turn out like Lichaa, Crichton is another fail too). I've always said we have a very good base and leadership group to work with. We're just a few top players away from competing for the eight.