Bulldogs aim to improve in attack

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Would be bloody nice to see a few more scores over 12 points for a change. It's been a drought for a few years now.

Time for these goung guys to step up now and take responsibility from the get-go. No point putting it altogether when it's too late.

If I were Pay, I'd honestly have them only thinking about Rd1 during the off season. Get that good performance out of the way early and watch the season set itself up.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cogger and wakeham in the halves. Tolman no where near the ball after tackle 3.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As much as it may seem like the stuff in this article is on repeat, there were things the team needed to acknowledge. The team isn't hiding from the fact that it didn't score enough points last season, and even more important, the fact that often the team looked lost in attack. Honest acknowledgement is a minimum requirement going into next season. Does this mean that they didn't do work last pre-season to address their attack? Of course not, they did, and guess what, the plans mostly failed. That means you go back to the drawing board and build more plans.

Did they look lost in attack most of last season? Yes. So it is good to know that they are attempting to work on it. So far as the stuff about "its feeling good this season" etc, yeah I agree that stuff can wait, the proof will be in the first five rounds of next season.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess the players have to answer media questions but just give basic answers. How about "we're working hard on our attack cause it was the worst in the comp last year".

Talking about how much better our attacks gonna be before a ball is kicked makes no sense, especially after our last few seasons.

I don't mind players and teams being confident and putting it out there, but you need to earn that.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If we go with Lewis and Cogger in the halves our attacking ceiling is very low you can do all the work you want in the off season but there won't be that much improvement.
Have to go Lewis and Wakeham… A combo we haven't seen yet at NRL level and probably the one most people want.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have to go Lewis and Wakeham… A combo we haven't seen yet at NRL level and probably the one most people want.
I’d prefer Lewis/Cogger just because it’s got more attacking potential but I’d settle for Wakeham/Lewis. We know what we are going to get with Cogger/Lewis and it’s not going to give us enough options in attack.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’d prefer Lewis/Cogger just because it’s got more attacking potential but I’d settle for Wakeham/Lewis. We know what we are going to get with Cogger/Lewis and it’s not going to give us enough options in attack.
Wakeham has more attack in him than Lewis and Coggar. Lewis best defender. I want to see this.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wakeham has more attack in him than Lewis and Coggar. Lewis best defender. I want to see this.
I don’t want this to get into a Lewis v Cogger thing but I don’t think a half should be selected due to their defence as the main positive in their game. Anyway let’s see what happens plenty of things can change between now and Round 1.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don’t want this to get into a Lewis v Cogger thing but I don’t think a half should be selected due to their defence as the main positive in their game. Anyway let’s see what happens plenty of things can change between now and Round 1.
I wont do that debate either because I already cant stand having two weak defending halves at the same time and already know Lewis has try assists next to his name...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wont do that debate either because I already cant stand having two weak defending halves at once and already know Lewis has try assists next to his name...
Hopefully we get a decent look at a few combos in the trials and Pay doesn’t chop and change it so much.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lewis looked better in attack when he had the Morris twins and funnily enough, Martin playing off of him.. that's something to keep in mind as well... it's not beyond him to play decent attacking footy, he just needs to get that confidence back

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Here’s the blue print Deano:

More width and depth
Quick play the balls
Encourage off loads
More support play thru the middle
And if Lewis is just going to lob a bomb up on the fifth tackle, maybe someone could chase it, even better like every other team kick a torpedo bomb to give us a chance of a result

simples

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we go with Lewis and Cogger in the halves our attacking ceiling is very low you can do all the work you want in the off season but there won't be that much improvement.
You have to evolve them so they both have tricky kicking games, even just the bomb creates something, we have time to teach and pass on experience, glass half full.
Even have time time to teach the hooker to kick.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You have to evolve them so they both have tricky kicking games, even just the bomb creates something, we have time to teach and pass on experience, glass half full.
Even have time time to teach the hooker to kick.
I’d love to see some variety in our attack and it’s going to require a change in mindset from Pay. He seems to play everything so safe and is scared of losing possession or giving away a 20 tap. Hopefully we try and mix things up a bit.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lewis looked better in attack when he had the Morris twins and funnily enough, Martin playing off of him.. that's something to keep in mind as well... it's not beyond him to play decent attacking footy, he just needs to get that confidence back
Hopefully he can strike a combo with Chn and whoever plays left centre too.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hopefully he can strike a combo with Chn and whoever plays left centre too.

for sure... just needs some consistent game time to form new combos... he and Rhys (as lazy as he was) had great chemistry... as well as some of his other ISP teammates.... see what happens!

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The thing is, we don't NEED our halves to score "a heap more tries". Would it be more ENTERTAINING? Certainly. But entertainment is not necessary for wins. A win by 1 point is worth the same as a win by 40. Just looking at last season we had 8 losses by 8 points or less. 4 of those were by 6 or less, so a single try added per game at LEAST gets us to golden point in those 4 games. So yes, the players DO need to work on their attack: more points are easier to defend. I just don't think we were THAT far off the mark, especially after the team largely settled itself, albeit too late...
But don't discount the advantage of points for and against. It comes in handy if we tie for a top spot.