News Canterbury Bulldogs rookie Brandon Wakeham wants starting NRL halves spot in 2020

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Brandon Wakeham wants to steal a starting spot in Canterbury’s halves next season and two premiership-winning halfbacks are helping him to get it done.

The Chester Hill junior has former halfbacks and 2004 Canterbury premiership winners, Brent ‘Shifty’ Sherwin and Johnathan Thurston in his corner.

Wakeham told The Daily Telegraph his weekly work with Sherwin has left him feeling confident about his chances of earning a start in 2020.

“Shifty comes in a couple of times a week to help out with our kicking. He’s really helped me correct the depth of my kicks. But I’m always asking him questions about when he played because he was a very crafty player and he’s got a great football brain,” Wakeham said.

“It’s crazy, I’m a massive Bulldogs fan and I watched him in the grand final and now to get tips from him at training is insane. He’s still got it, he puts it on us at training.”

Wakeham, who played three NRL games in 2019, is in a pre-season three-way battle with first choice halves Lachlan Lewis and Jack Cogger for a place in coach Dean Pay’s top 17 next year.

While he sees himself as a halfback long term, the 20-year-old is willing to wear the No.6 jumper if it means a start in Pay’s line-up.

“I’m trying as hard as I can in training to show the coach not only can I play first grade, I can start come round one,” he said

When he’s not getting advice directly from Sherwin, Wakeham is drawing inspiration from league legend Thurston.

In his spare time, Wakeham watches highlight reels of Thurston and his North Queensland Cowboys teammate and fullback Matt Bowen to study their lethal combination in attack.

“Johnathan Thurston is my favourite player, I love JT. He wasn’t the biggest player but he put 100 per cent into everything he did on the field,” he said.

“The combination he built with Matty Bowen up in North Queensland was so good. Even now, I still watch their highlights and try to breakdown their plays.”

The Belmore local admired Thurston so much, he almost switched allegiances from the Bulldogs when the Queensland Maroons great signed with the Cowboys in 2005.

But his Canterbury loving mother wasn’t willing to accept any other colours than Blue and White in her Chester Hill home.

“I remember one game I tried to cheer for the Cowboys against the Bulldogs and she started going off at me,” Wakeham said.

“So, there was no choice for me, I couldn’t support anyone else. My family are diehard Bulldogs fans and being from the area as well means there’s no other team for us.”

Even though Wakeham’s loyalty was tested a kid, one aspiration remained certain all the way through from his junior footy to when he made his NRL debut in round 15 against Cronulla this year – he only ever wanted to be a Bulldog.

And after a staring performance for Fiji against Lebanon during the Pacific Test match in June, where he scored a try, set up two and kicked eight from nine conversions, Wakeham earned a call-up to fulfil a life long dream.

“I had a pretty good game that day and the next week I got called up on the day from Deano [Pay] to make my debut and it was surreal,” he said.

“That’s all I ever wanted to do as a kid, I never wanted anything else besides to play for the Bulldogs.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...0/news-story/71614e0e7294533b896bf6f561c95fbb

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is another player who won't die wondering... such good timing for Shifty to arrive on the scene... they both have that natural instinct that separates x factor type players from the Nathan Cleary types

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
How bad are our halves when i guy twice their age can still put it all over them....
Shifty never got the accolades he deserved...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He is most probably the most naturally gifted half we have at the club, add to this that he is a diehard buldogs fan through and through, I want him to be a starting half next year!
If he's fit enough to start then he should defenitely be starting and wearing the 7 on his back. I really don't understand why we should be wasting time and playing the likes of Cogger and Lewis ahead of him.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Love this kid, Have even more of a soft spot for him as he comes from, and went to my high school, has massive potential and always did.. hope he gets a shot an kills it this year.. exciting times :hearteyes: !!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He is most probably the most naturally gifted half we have at the club, add to this that he is a diehard buldogs fan through and through, I want him to be a starting half next year!
He's defiantly got the most upside of any halves we currently have on the books. I'd love for him to get a shot early next year because he would be the type that would make the most of it.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Rioting in the streets of Belmore if our junior doesn't get supported by Pay and we see Cogger picked. Unfortunately....

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Rioting in the streets of Belmore if our junior doesn't get supported by Pay and we see Cogger picked. Unfortunately....
Cogger better than Lewis in attack easily... Depends what you want from Wakeham. I'd prefer Jack to steer the ship and let Wakeham play with abit more freedom to play what he sees like Munster does.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I luv the way he says he’s a massive Doggie supporter,
For mine this speaks volumes it shows just how passionate he is about our great club and will go the extra mile to make sure we succeed.
A true clubman in every sense of the word.
Nice to see a local develope into a champion one day,this kid has already shown tremendous maturity and glimpses of skill on the footy field.
Good luck

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I luv the way he says he’s a massive Doggie supporter,
For mine this speaks volumes it shows just how passionate he is about our great club and will go the extra mile to make sure we succeed.
A true clubman in every sense of the word.
Nice to see a local develope into a champion one day,this kid has already shown tremendous maturity and glimpses of skill on the footy field.
Good luck
You would hope that it does speak volumes about his passion for the club etc...... but,
wasn't Klemmer a MASSIVE dogs supporter?
and i am sure there are many others in that boat that left our club as soon as times got tough...
IMO it means nothing when a player tells the media and fans they were a massive dogs supporter etc...

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would hope that it does speak volumes about his passion for the club etc...... but,
and i am sure there are many others in that boat that left our club as soon as times got tough...
IMO it means nothing when a player tells the media and fans they were a massive dogs supporter etc...
I don’t think it means nothing when a player makes that statement
In particular a local junior who is trying to cement a spot in the top team
We have been through some tough times but I think things are on the up in general
Not too sure why Klemmer moved on,perhaps outside influences or just greed.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Has a great halves coach to learn off. Shifty was a rare breed that played what was in front of him. Knew when to run. Knew when to kick. And could direct the play where it was supposed to.

If Waksman can pick up half of his vision and instinct in a game that is so structured he will have a successful career.

Hope to see him at some stage in 2020 in first grade.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah cogger has a lot of leaked points on offer for us, cannot tackle, set up one try and let in three...no thanks, wakeham and Lewis
Lewis can fuck off
Cogger has something to offer us i think, but Lewis certainly not

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I think Klemmer once felt that way - he used to mow the grass at Belmore.
But he threw his toys out of the pram when his bromance brother Woods was moved on.
Then he got heat from his wife whose sister lives in Newcastle about a change of lifestyle and once that train was in motion there was no stopping it.
Hope he enjoyed his first season at the club he said he was happy joining 'because he wanted to play finals footy again' - he was on holidays in September!