News Clear-headed and relaxed' Napa focused on future success

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last season started for Dylan Napa with his private life all over social media and ended by watching his former Roosters teammates win back-to-back premierships.

It doesn't sound an ideal way to book-end a rugby league year. But with Napa's happy-go-lucky attitude to life he's taken it all in his stride.
Remember the 2018 premiership win over Storm meant so much to him he was still dressed in full footy kit – jersey, shorts, socks and boots – when the Roosters appeared the next morning at their fan day.

"It wasn't hard watching it," Napa told NRL.com of the Roosters' win over the Raiders in the title decider.

"I was very happy for the guys … I still have a lot of mates in that team.

"But I'd like to be there again one day - with the Bulldogs this time."

His first season at Belmore, after six with the Bondi Junction club, got off to a poor start in January when footage was leaked of Napa engaging in some lewd conduct five years earlier.
Napa, who said he didn't feel like all the exposure had left him a more cynical person, has emerged still able to smile and enjoy his football.

"I don't feel I'm too much of a different person to what I was last year. What happened to me hasn't affected me badly or made me think about things too deeply. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing," he said.

"It was a pretty eventful year for me last time so to come to this pre-season a lot more clear-headed and relaxed is a pretty good feeling."

Instead he's under a different kind of heat – that coming off the likes of David Fifita and Payne Haas as young props already stamping their ground as representative players.

Napa, who lost his position in the Queensland team after the first two matches of the 2019 Origin series, has played in two Prime Minister's XIII teams but is yet to represent Australia. There is a Kangaroos tour at the end of 2020 and then the World Cup in 2021.
"I just turned 27 but there's 19-year-old players out there having incredible seasons. So this is a year I really want to be better," he said.

"Well that's my wish every year, to step things up. But I feel younger guys are right on my heels."

From his 20 games in 2019, he only played eight where he spent 55 minutes on the field.

"I haven't thought specifically about that," he said, when asked if wanted to maintain a quality 60 minutes per game.

"I'm trying to improve in all areas of being in the front row," said Napa, who scored two tries for his new club along with 130 metres per game, and an average 50 post-contact metres.
The way the game is going at the moment it would definitely be nice to play some longer minutes.

"I also want to see better defence from myself and getting a few more offloads away."

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Napa needs to lift this season. He was way too inconsistent last season for a player with his rep experience and with the salary he's on. He had a few very good games but a few shockers and others where he didn't do much.

I'd rather see him get no more than 45-50 minutes as when he's out there too long, he starts falling off tackles, making errors and giving away dumb penalties.

Renouf was far more impactful and he needs to get 40 minutes a game minimum this season.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Napa needs to lift this season. He was way too inconsistent last season for a player with his rep experience and with the salary he's on. He had a few very good games but a few shockers and others where he didn't do much.

I'd rather see him get no more than 45-50 minutes as when he's out there too long, he starts falling off tackles, making errors and giving away dumb penalties.

Renouf was far more impactful and he needs to get 40 minutes a game minimum this season.
I think he will be good for the run... first season playing long minutes coming off such a big season

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Show us the Mongrel Napa, it’s this year or never .!!!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Lose some weight fatty

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He played his best football when he was also featuring in homemade movies SO perhaps he could just go back to starring as BIG PAPPI and then he would take that form onto the field and perform there too.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Roosters won a grand final and got rid of Napa. What a win win

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think he will be good for the run... first season playing long minutes coming off such a big season
Hopefully.. We need him to go to another level. Hopefully last year was just an adjustment period and this year he's more settled and can improve his fitness. I think a lack of fitness and some excess weight is really holding him back.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hopefully.. We need him to go to another level. Hopefully last year was just an adjustment period and this year he's more settled and can improve his fitness. I think a lack of fitness and some excess weight is really holding him back.

yep.. at least it's not a mentality thing because he gave what he could and I think we'll see the benefits next year of him getting through a full season in a new role and not missing a whole lot of games.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Was signed up as an experienced player in the time of a rebuild, he really needs to stand up this year and guide those more inexperienced players.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
His first few games here weren't outstanding. But he played better as the season went on. I was hoping he'd provide more aggression for us though.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
His first few games here weren't outstanding. But he played better as the season went on. I was hoping he'd provide more aggression for us though.
He was pretty much second string in Bondi and the transition to seniority at Belmore he struggled with. I agree he got better as the year went on. Despite what he says the leaking of those videos would’ve been a huge distraction last off season so hopefully he rolls into 2020 fit, focussed and ready to lead up front.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Was signed up as an experienced player in the time of a rebuild, he really needs to stand up this year and guide those more inexperienced players.
100% .... he was going great before he broke his hand, and after that went downhill.

Needs to really fire and lead the pack this year, as Tolman can't do it all on his own.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t think he had the best of seasons overall but some of that could come down to an injury which was incurred early on.
Give him the benefit of doubt for this year
We signed Dylan from a successful club and was a representative so expecting a lot more aggression and leadership in general
The way he took on Burgess boys in a particular game and got on top.
Needs to bring that dominance every single week
Earn and justify the lucrative contract.

Last edited:

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: what I saw from the future I can tell you this. Dally M prop of the year

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: what I saw from the future I can tell you this. Dally M prop of the year
What else can you see in the future , any premierships lol
Sounds like an old CEO at our club.
Signing off also a Bulldogs Fan.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always takes a player at least a year to find their feet in a new team and club. I'm expecting a big year from him in 2020

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Less talk.. more action.. his nos were poor this year for someone meant to replace Klemmer.. His nos suited more a bench forward, but his salary is starting money..