News Lewis reveals awkward Lockyer meeting

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Replacing Pearce with Cronk turned out to be a stupid move by the roosters didn't it.
I think he meant to say average halves, but GREAT halves are deff the diff, in our situation we haven’t had a GREAT 7 for many years.! Not a staple anyway.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Halves are overrated badly in league. Strike players win premierships
Good halves can provide a platform for moderately talented players to shine though. Looking at the best moments Foran had this year shows that a half with the ability to attract defence and get a good ball away can give players an easier route to the tryline. I hated Jamie Soward, but his kicking game provided the backs at Saint George with both great field position and scoring opportunities in an otherwise boring team. Someone like Cronk with both the passing and kicking game as well as the instinctive ability to read the game and make the right decisions has given every side he's played in a huge advantage.

Strike players are great to have. But good halves can virtually make moderately talented players look far better.

I know Lewis has to work on his attack ahead of this season. His debut games were good from an attacking perspective. I'm not sure if the combination of having a new baby and a couple of injuries sapped confidence or his focus. But he seemed less impressive. I hope he gets back on track with it. I think that Cogger had a more rounded game last year and Lewis. With Foran out long term, he'll probably have more chances to show the club if he should be in the starting lineup.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lewis to have a big season. Has to or it might be a short NRL career.
Needs a good mentor and hopefully Shifty teaches him a thing or 2 and he nails it.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Good halves can provide a platform for moderately talented players to shine though. Looking at the best moments Foran had this year shows that a half with the ability to attract defence and get a good ball away can give players an easier route to the tryline. I hated Jamie Soward, but his kicking game provided the backs at Saint George with both great field position and scoring opportunities in an otherwise boring team. Someone like Cronk with both the passing and kicking game as well as the instinctive ability to read the game and make the right decisions has given every side he's played in a huge advantage.

Strike players are great to have. But good halves can virtually make moderately talented players look far better.

I know Lewis has to work on his attack ahead of this season. His debut games were good from an attacking perspective. I'm not sure if the combination of having a new baby and a couple of injuries sapped confidence or his focus. But he seemed less impressive. I hope he gets back on track with it. I think that Cogger had a more rounded game last year and Lewis. With Foran out long term, he'll probably have more chances to show the club if he should be in the starting lineup.
Perhaps if the coach (apparently) drops you for defensive reasons, well then you concentrate on that aspect. He nailed that this season.

Will give him the benefit of the doubt on his attack for the coming season.

He has earnt the right to say he is a great defensive half. Now he needs to complete his game.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lewis to have a big season. Has to or it might be a short NRL career.
Needs a good mentor and hopefully Shifty teaches him a thing or 2 and he nails it.
I agree that Lewis needs to really step up next year and take control in steering the team around the park.
Mind you there is a few other players in that same category or they could find themselves out of a job.
We have a strong talented youth group nipping at their heels.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lewis is yet to convince me...
One more year under Shifty's guidance could be a do or die as a halfback !!!

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
we would have lost more games if it wasn't for Lewis's 1%ers.. he's played 24 first grade games, in and out, behind a pack who hasn't offered much compared to other teams... Give him a chance

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lewis is yet to convince me...
One more year under Shifty's guidance could be a do or die as a halfback !!!
He's here for 2 more years. Even if he's not making a huge impact as a half, I think he may find a new position somewhere due to his defensive ability.

we would have lost more games if it wasn't for Lewis's 1%ers.. he's played 24 first grade games, in and out, behind a pack who hasn't offered much compared to other teams... Give him a chance
I'm happy to reserve judgement on him. It's up to him to show his ability frequently enough to win his place in the team.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s what a lot of people around here forget.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Halves are overrated badly in league. Strike players win premierships
That player being the fullback. If you got a gun fullback the team usually goes well. Best teams over last decade storm and roosters have had 2 of the best fullbacks around in a long time.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It should be noted we have a 50% win rate with him. Yeah still doesn't sound great, but he obviously makes a positive difference to the team.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He he learnt how to pass a ball to his backrower yet???

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It should be noted we have a 50% win rate with him. Yeah still doesn't sound great, but he obviously makes a positive difference to the team.

There is a notable difference when he plays.. he has defended for 2 much of the time as well... I think fans need to give him a chance and see what he can do now that he actually has a decent halves coach.... that's been an issue for all of our halves in recent times... you see teams with the likes of Joey coaching their halves.... and what have the Bulldogs had? Grimaldi (no disrespect)?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
And the bulk of the wins have come at the backend of both seasons when the pressure was off. What was he doing at the start of the season when we were getting pumped?