Bulldogs’ Jack Cogger hails unseen impact of injury-hit halves partner Kieran Foran

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
  • December 10, 2019 5:47am
  • by Andrew Jackson
  • Source: FOX SPORTS

Jack Cogger of the Bulldogs passes the ballSource: AAP
Young Bulldogs half Jack Cogger believes critics of Kieran Foran would change their mind if they saw the work the injured playmaker does behind the scenes.
Foran suffered a serious shoulder injury while playing for New Zealand in a Test match against Great Britain in November, and is expected to miss the majority of the season after undergoing reconstructive shoulder surgery for the second time in his career.

Foran has been restricted to 26 games from two years at Canterbury and complicating matters is his $3 million deal he signed to play for the Bulldogs, a price tag some say he has not lived up to.
But Cogger says in his short 12 months at the club Foran has already proven himself one of the hardest-working players in the game.
“Over the last 12 months he’s done everything he could to prepare properly and stay injury free,” Cogger told foxsports.com.au.

“No matter what injuries he’s had, he’s been in the next day making sure he gets back as quick as possible.

“I know he wakes up early and gets the train if that’s what he has to do.

“That really shows someone how professional you are.
“It is everyday making sure you do the simple exercises that the doctor or physio gives you, doing those little extras.”

Foran has had his fair share of critics but Cogger says they are judging him without knowing how hard he works behind closed doors.
“You can’t blame them, they don’t see it every day,” Cogger said.

“I think a lot of people who see him here at the club know that they’re selling him short because he’s training really hard and doing everything he can to make sure he can stay on the field and play the best football possible for the club.”
Much was made of Cooper Cronk’s heroics in the 2018 Grand Final where he led the Roosters to premiership glory, putting his body on the line as his left arm hung limply.

Cogger says Foran like Cronk has played through injury on numerous occasions for the team, even if it was to his own physical detriment.
“A lot of games over the last year and before that in his career he’s probably played with an injury for the whole game,” Cogger said.

“That might be Kieran’s downfall, how tough he is, he’s a pretty tough character mentally and physically and sometimes that’s got the better of him because he’s played on with a pretty serious injury and that’s made it worse.

“But that makes him the player he is as well, the way he takes on the line … so it’s probably his greatest asset as well.”
His latest injury is expected to rule him out for any time between nine and 12 months, but Cogger says beating recovery times is a specialty of Foran’s, and that we could be seeing him return next year.
“You just look at the injury times he’s had over the last 12 months,” Cogger explained.

“They said he’d be out for six weeks, he’s out for three, 12 weeks he’s out for eight.

“They’ve put a lengthy time on his current injury … but it’ll probably be earlier than everyone expects because he trains hard and does everything required.”

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Jack's turn to talk up Foran...and how quickly he returns early from injury. Far out.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is, he will finally be given the all-clear to play and just 30 seconds into his return game...

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Good on ya Jack, talk up your team mate - but it’s easier now that 4 into 2 became 3 into 2 and that made life easier for you, didn’t it fella?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
When someone is getting paid over a million dollars to play sport you’d think preparing in a professional way would be a very basic thing. I don’t see why Foran deserves lavish praise for doing that.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
When someone is getting paid over a million dollars to play sport you’d think preparing in a professional way would be a very basic thing. I don’t see why Foran deserves lavish praise for doing that.
That's what I'm thinkin. For 1 million a year I'll exercise while in rehab, no problem. Heck I'll even go all out and exercuse 3 hours a day like Izzy.

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tis the season for an abundance of dogs articles with the same headlines and tag lines

*Big year *be on our game *young squad

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
of course Kieran would be perfect for our young halves.... just a shame that we're paying him so much out of the cap for it

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm so sick of all of these Foran stories.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone disagrees with the work ethic and perseverance of foz.

Unfortunately, as with all things in life, the physical aspects give up before the mental. His body is failing him. It’s as simple as that.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This
See I could rock up at belmore and go all out as well
As soon as i'd get on the field i'd be folded like fucking laundry and dead
No praise is needed for Foran
He wouldn't need to work so hard if his body wasn't made of paper mache

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We all know Fozzy will try hard. He’s a tough bugger, but his body is done.. end of.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Tis the season for an abundance of dogs articles with the same headlines and tag lines

*Big year *be on our game *young squad
Election coming up also adds to it I guess.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Foran has had his fair share of critics but Cogger says they are judging him without knowing how hard he works behind closed doors.
“You can’t blame them, they don’t see it every day,” Cogger said.
He fkn better work hard behind closed doors, getting $1m a year to basically not even play.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stopped reading at

“foran, like cronk plays injured for his team”

smh

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully he has learned how to tackle in the off season and become a dominant defender, not just flying by the seat of his pants
Good on ya Jack, talk up your team mate - but it’s easier now that 4 into 2 became 3 into 2 and that made life easier for you, didn’t it fella?