News Steve Price vows to bring success back to Belmore in new club role

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Himself contracted until the end of 2020, Pay wants to remain at Belmore for much longer.

What a sobering almost scary thought!!!! But you never know ....some guys are born under a lucky star. And while mates for mates is the norm at our club Pay's next contract extension could be a 10 year extension neatly tied up with a red bow. Can we expect anything less????

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't rate Pay and his wishy washy thoughts, he's more up and down than a woman's menstrual cycle. One minute he is talking the team up next minute he's telling us not to expect anything moving into the 2020 season. So instead of starting another thread relating to his great mate ship with Price I'll just leave this here.

Upbeat coach plots Bulldogs' NRL revival

Canterbury coach Dean Pay says things are looking up for the Bulldogs.

Canterbury coach Dean Pay has welcomed club legend Steve Price moving into a more hands-on role as the pair plot to return the lowly Bulldogs to their NRL glory days.

After standing down from the board, Price will take over as the club's general manager of football from Monday and says the job will involve working with coaches in all grades and overseeing development pathways, recruitment and high performance.

But far from being nervous about relinquishing control, Pay is looking forward to reuniting with his 2004 premiership-winning captain in a significant off-field partnership.

"Pricey coming on board is exciting for everyone. He was the best man for the job so it's important that he comes in," Pay said on Thursday.

"Obviously he's been a past great player of the club so he'll contribute a hell of a lot to the place."

It was barely a month ago that Pay, in only his second season as an NRL head coach, was under huge pressure as the Bulldogs were staring down the barrel of collecting only their third wooden spoon in 55 years.

But with wins over three top-eight hopefuls in their past five games, the Dogs are now four points clear of last-placed Gold Coast and Pay is suddenly talking up his young side's future top-four prospects.

"Some of our young guys are improving each and every week and that's what we keep talking about: we need to keep building towards being a top-four team," Pay said.

"The more games that the young guys play, the better they're going to get. We're building nicely."

The famously understated former NSW State of Origin and Kangaroos hardman refused to drop the F-word when asked about aiming for the finals next year.

But with hopes of winning their last five games this season, finals football is clearly the goal in 2020.

"We'll talk about next year next year," Pay said ahead of Canterbury's hosting of eighth-placed Wests Tigers on Saturday night at ANZ Stadium.

"What we want to do is make sure we finish the year off really well and then rolling into next year we want to take the confidence out of what we did this year.

"Then we've got some money to go into the market place and we're having a look around, so we need to be really smart about who we buy and bring into the place and make sure that they can improve our team."

Himself contracted until the end of 2020, Pay wants to remain at Belmore for much longer.

"I'd like to stay here for quite a while," he said.

"We've done all the hard work. Last year and this year we've rowed through some really tough periods.

"Over the next 18 months, two years, I think that's where we're going to see some real progress."

Australian Associated Press
Journalists are so sloppy these days Price never captained Pay in 2004.

Reactions: mez

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Journalists are so sloppy these days Price never captained Pay in 2004.
Yeah true, GREAT PICKUP. They allude to Price being a winning Premiership captain but no where does it say they actually played together. But yeah sloppiness at it's beast. :grinning:

Last edited:

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Apart from price leaving the dogs to go to warriors i have always liked him. We are rebuilding and he wants to be part of that can only be a positive

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Loved price as a player and was a true bulldog.. then when he came to nz, to play for the once were Warriors I lost a little respect for him.. no convinced with him, however since he was ours, and a big part of this clubs success way back when, I’m happy for him to get me on board an Change my mind, if it’s all positive I’m all in..!!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I’ll let you know tomorrow night!
Planning on a semi-live TK update from the forum assuming there’s interest.
Semi-live? Bruh are you going to be half dead?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Semi-live? Bruh are you going to be half dead?
The other reality is the quality of the update. If they unveil a major sponsor on a jersey 5min before it goes to the media you can expect quick updates. If they tell us stuff we already know, a little later...

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good....Just tell the crew that latrell could be the next david fafita ,( yes he wants to play second row now) they might sign him if they can convert him to a second rower...* LOL*.maybe he could be like dean widders as well.

I know you can do it dinkum, you can be very persuasive
I’ll let you know tomorrow night!
Planning on a semi-live TK update from the forum assuming there’s interest.

mez

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Same.
I just goes to show, when someone’s got the shits, they can find shit in any news. Like complaining about the tax you have to pay on the $1m you won.
You pay tax? Shit

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Sounds good....Just tell the crew that latrell could be the next david fafita ,( yes he wants to play second row now) they might sign him if they can convert him to a second rower...* LOL*.maybe he could be like dean widders as well.

I know you can do it dinkum, you can be very persuasive
Ha. Mate, there's some itches I'm not willing to scratch!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Let's hope pricey makes a cameo appearance then....

Almost feels like we need to do a

" where are they now" segment on him
Maybe Mike Munro and his red folder will be there...'Steve Price, This Is Your Life'.
Apologies to our younger brethren who that will mean nothing to...

I agree however, he's been very quiet - one would hope toiling away behind the scenes.
Recent past member forums have been Chair, CEO, Coach, Players and at one - Greenberg and Beattie.
An update from the GM of Football makes a lot of sense given the staff changes earlier this year and that he left the board to take the role - he's been actively involved in everything the last two years...
Anyway - stand by tomorrow night and I'll update...

Last edited: