News Bulldogs look to bring Josh Jackson contract talks ‘to a head’ before Christmas

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury are confident of delivering their fans an early Christmas gift by re-signing off-contract skipper Josh Jackson on a long-term deal.

Despite speculation Jackson may be on the lookout for a new club, Bulldogs boss Andrew Hill insisted the parties were now deep in negotiations.

“Clearly Josh is not looking to leave the Bulldogs and the Bulldogs don’t see him playing for anyone else,” Hill told AAP.

Bulldogs skipper Josh Jackson. Picture: Brett Costello

Jackson was unavailable to speak at the club’s media day on Monday after successfully undergoing groin and hip surgery last week.

Hill admitted the injury setback, which will force him off the paddock until the team regathers in January, prevented them from agreeing to terms sooner.

“So that delayed things, but we’ll regroup shortly and try and bring it to a head in the next couple of weeks,” Hill said.

Jackson’s contract isn’t the only big ticket item on Canterbury’s pre-Christmas to-do list, with the club fighting to get salary cap relief for injured star Kieran Foran.

The veteran playmaker went under the knife two weeks ago after dislocating his shoulder while on international duty with New Zealand last month.

Doctors last week confirmed Foran will miss at least six months, which will be presented to the NRL when Hill meets with the governing body this week.

Current rules dictate the Bulldogs can apply for a maximum $350,000 of salary cap relief when a player is injured on international duty and misses 12 games.

Canterbury will also be seeking clarification around insurance, as well as the ramifications of Foran making an early return from injury.

Kieran Foran is recovering from a shoulder injury. Picture: Alix Sweeney

“Now that (the surgeon has) had the follow-up consultation with Kieran, he’s been able to confirm with us the damage in writing now,” Hill said.

“This week we’ll start to work with the relevant stakeholders being the NRL and the insurance company to put all our claims in.

“It’s a bit premature to work out exactly what the outcome is at the moment.

“We’re looking at least 6-9 months at the moment, so we’re looking to the NRL to get a positive outcome around salary cap relief and also the insurance claim.”

The Bulldogs have already begun considering potential replacements, but are certain to fail to find a player matching Foran’s current value.

The premiership-winning five-eighth is in the final year of a multi-million deal.

“We just need to get through the next week with the NRL to understand what we’re entitled to. And then we’ll work through that,” Hill said.

“We’re not in any rush, so we’ll continue to monitor who’s available and look at opportunities once we get a clear understanding of what we’re entitled to.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/b38938c1c53d516f4b54c4f0bd4c76c2

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder how many years the contract extension might be for,
In my opinion two more seasons might be appropriate taking all things into consideration
Talking about his age,general health and ability to produce week in week out.
Anyway josh has been fantastic over the years and a greatclubman
Good luck true Bulldog.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
In my opinion two more seasons might be appropriate taking all things into consideration
Talking about his age,General health and ability to produce week in week out.
Anyway josh has been a fantastic over the years and great clubman
Good luck true Bulldog.
I’d be happy with a 2 year deal or 3 at most I hope it’s not anything above that.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just hope he makes a full recovery in time to start the season. I'm not sure why he didn't go under the knife sooner.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d be happy with a 2 year deal or 3 at most I hope it’s not anything above that.
I think you’re right on the money in terms of years he might sign up for.
Josh seems like a very level headed sought of guy who would probably realise that anything beyond 2/3 years might not be sustainable.
It’s not in my mind set to give players a free ride but am happy to cut him a tiny bit of slack lol
When I watch josh at the games he has always given it his all and never held back.
An inspirational captain & nice bloke off the field.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just hope he makes a full recovery in time to start the season. I'm not sure why he didn't go under the knife sooner.
The surgeon was in Ball having a well earned rest.lol

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Get it done... 2020!!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
2-3 years
600-700k
If longer than less $

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Talking about his age,general health and ability to produce week in week out.
Anyway josh has been fantastic over the years and great clubman
Good luck true Bulldog.
I love Jacko, but yeah anything more than 2 years will be a bad decision, especially considering everyone else's deals are expiring at end of 2021

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love Jacko, but yeah anything more than 2 years will be a bad decision, especially considering everyone else's deals are expiring at end of 2021
The outcome of his contract will be very interesting
We just have to sit back and trust that our management work out a fair deal for both him and the club moving forward
I feel some previous contracts/extensions under the previous board were not really thought through properly which in turn set our great club back.
All good for those players bank balances though.

Last edited:

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sign him for 5 years, retire him after 3 years like SouFFs

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Player or club only seem to be interested in 1 year extentions?

Is it players not wanting to commit to the coach or the other way round?

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 years would be ideal but surely no more than 3. There doesn't seem to be other clubs too interested so we should get him for under 700k, and I reckon he's worth around that.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He shouldn't be offered anything over 550k at this stage of his career and two years max. One year would be perfect but unlikely.

Three years is too risky, especially with Jackson's style and limited skillset. His type of game generally doesn't age well and workhorses like him risk a steep drop off after a certain amount of tackles and hits.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Is it just me or did Jackos biceps get smaller this year? I remember in the past he had massive cannons.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He shouldn't be offered anything over 550k at this stage of his career and two years max. One year would be perfect but unlikely.

Three years is too risky, especially with Jackson's style and limited skillset. His type of game generally doesn't age well and workhorses like him risk a steep drop off after a certain amount of tackles and hits.
You're downplaying Jackson's ability. You're also underestimating how important leaders are. Look at the Knights. I'd say Graham fell off in his last year with us so somewhere between 31-32 (still good enough to re-sign but salary cap and Dragons offer). Is that what you're mainly worried about? Anything below 600k is a low ball. Jackson deserves at least that.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You're downplaying Jackson's ability. You're also underestimating how important leaders are. Look at the Knights. I'd say Graham fell off in his last year with us so somewhere between 31-32 (still good enough to re-sign but salary cap and Dragons offer). Is that what you're mainly worried about? Anything below 600k is a low ball. Jackson deserves at least that.
I'm being realistic. The club should be too.
Why pay 600-700k for an ageing workhorse backrower for several more years when you can get similar production from someone else for less than half the price?

Would you be happy with $1.4 million of cap space being spent on Jackson and Napa?