Bulldogs youngster Brandon Wakeham benefiting from cross-code sessions with GWS Giants

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We have been doing the gws cross code training sessions since the keating, Reynolds, hodkinson days.

Pretty sure there is an article every year that says how much techniques they learnt etc.

Pretty sure shirvington is due an article in January to say how he is impressed with hoppas speed and he has gained an extra half a yard or something

Truth be told we need help with our kicking. But honestly I think sherwin would help way more. Fair enough to get your mechanics right for higher/longer kicks. But shifty can teach you game situations too.

Fingers crossed one of our halves steps up with forans injury.
On cue the Shirvington article - R Smith lol

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Wathed a video with Lewis on fox sports. He confirmed that he will start the season with Cogger in the halves.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wathed a video with Lewis on fox sports. He confirmed that he will start the season with Cogger in the halves.
What’s the point in locking in a combo at the start of pre-season!

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But GWS lost the GF... the club, the coaching staff have NO IDEA!! OK, I'll stop pretending to be a bleater now...sorry :-)

Good stuff - if AFL can teach our halves one thing well it's distance and accuracy in kicking - good to see Deano open up this opportunity along with Shifty and anything else that gets our young fellas confidence up before Round 1.
Distance and accuracy will be important next year with the new 20/40 rule...

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
What’s the point in locking in a combo at the start of pre-season!
I saw a totally different piece where Cogger said 'we all want a spot, but we all want what's best for the club'. I'm not sure anything is locked in yet...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Lewis should shut his fucking mouth.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lewis talks too much. Last off-season he had us playing a spontaneous, almost revolutionary, attacking style of footy. Something got lost in the delivery.

Please play footy first and talk second - after you've earn't the right.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Wakehams biggest issue is getting injured quite frequently. Can't get consistent game time when you are back 2-3 games game then injured for 4-5.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wakeham will be our xfactor, him along with DWZ, Could Combine nice.. an be very strong attack, will be our wild cards in 2020 :hearteyes:

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think Wakeham and Cogger seem to have a similar style and are both small. I think Wakeham will eventually push him out. But I fear he may be a little injury prone as teams will start running big forwards at him. So I hope by mid season it will be Lewis at 7 and Wakeham 5/8. I believe like some others that Lewis is not the long term answer at 7 but we need him at the moment as he plays a bit different than the other 2 and tightens the defence which is as good as setting up tries for the moment.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Lewis has the 7 and Cogger Wakehamup fighting for 6....thoughts?

Lewis 7?
Wakeham/Cogger 6?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’d like to see our wingers working with GWS also, the ability to catch cross-field kicks “AFL style” is becoming more critical...even to bat the ball back down and also body positioning.
Did you read the full article? The halves, hookers and outside backs go to GWS for training sessions. So I'm sure that's the plan.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Lewis and Cogger I think Pay will go with to start the season, but hoping Lewis and Wakeham do personally.
I'd rather:
6. Wakeham
7. Cogger
I know we won't get that though