News Why pursuit of Fifita won't impact on top Dog Jackson's new deal

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury's hot pursuit of teen sensation David Fifita will have no bearing on their plans to make fellow backrower and skipper Josh Jackson a Bulldog for life.

Jackson underwent groin surgery last week, which has briefly stalled negotiations for a new three-year deal at Belmore
Dogs boss Andrew Hill was confident their 28-year-old leader would remain at the club beyond 2020, while they were also hopeful of meeting with gun Broncos forward Fifita in the coming weeks.

Up to a dozen rival clubs are keen to meet with Fifita, whose manager will be guided by his young star client on which NRL clubs to add to the shortlist for a face-to-face interview
The Broncos and Fifita are hoping to avoid a heavy penalty from the NRL integrity unit for his Bali arrest.

Fifita and Jackson both play on the same edge - Jackson and even Fifita can also play as a lock forward - while Canterbury have also recruited Melbourne's Joe Stimson and since had Corey Harawira-Naera force his way into the New Zealand Test team.
The Broncos and Fifita are hoping to avoid a heavy penalty from the NRL integrity unit for his Bali arrest.

Fifita and Jackson both play on the same edge - Jackson and even Fifita can also play as a lock forward - while Canterbury have also recruited Melbourne's Joe Stimson and since had Corey Harawira-Naera force his way into the New Zealand Test team
Canterbury have been linked to Latrell Mitchell and for a brief period the Trbojevic brothers, yet fans would be shattered if the club were to lose favourite son Jackson.

"We've had some good conversations with 'Jacko' and his management,'' Hill told the Herald. "We don't see Jacko playing for anyone else and it's fair to say Jacko wants to be a one-club player. In the next few weeks we'll tidy that up
"It's been a relaxed conversation with him and obviously our focus is on him getting back on the training field, but we certainly need to move on it soon.''

Jackson told the Herald at the end of last season: "I'd love to bring a premiership back to Canterbury and be a part of the future success.''

Hill said he was being guided by Fifita's camp when it came to his next move, but that the club was in the market for ''quality players'' like the Queensland representative.

"When a club frees up a few dollars like we have for 2021 we'll be linked to everyone and we've already seen that,'' Hill said.

"We're certainly interested in quality players, and whenever a quality player comes on to the market we'll sit down and consider if they're the right fit for us

"We're waiting to hear back from [Fifita's] player manager as to what the next steps are. But it's definitely not one or the other [between Fifita or Jackson]. We're in deep negotiations with Jacko.''

Hill added he hoped to have an answer from England prop Luke Thompson and if he was keen to take the NRL plunge at their club from 2021.

Fellow Dogs forward Adam Elliott is another player off contract and said Jackson's future would have an impact on any future decision he made, especially given the skipper and James Graham played a huge role in making sure Elliott ignored Parramatta's advances the last time around.

"When it comes to my next contract it's extremely important Jacko is here,'' Elliott said. "We need to make sure we're keeping people like him around
"We've been through the ringer the last few years, it looks like we're about to come out the other side and start to perform consistently as team, and having Jacko here will be a big part of that.

"If Jacko stays, it makes the Bulldogs [even] more attractive for me to stay as well

Couple of interesting points

We are still after Luke Thompson

And how Adam Elliott goes on In my opinion I hope we let him go he a taking a bench spot / starting spot from one of many youngsters coming through ( Jackson Topine Javvier Pitovao Matt Doorey ) just to name a few

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Fucken Elliott loves shooting his mouth off he should be grateful if we offer a deal after the shit he put the club through on Mad Monday followed by some of his on field performances.
Don't you love the way he segwayed himself into a story.

He's in the senior group so I can't see Management being ruthless enough to not re-sign him....unfortunately (generally) its been the Bulldogs way for some time now. Keep for too long existing forwards who are average, hold back the promising youngsters or lose them.

Just not ruthless enough with a 30 man roster and the full consequences of that.

Hopefully they wise up with this situation.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't you love the way he segwayed himself into a story.

He's in the senior group so I can't see Management being ruthless enough to not re-sign him....unfortunately (generally) its been the Bulldogs way for some time now. Keep for too long existing forwards who are average, hold back the promising youngsters or lose them.

Just not ruthless enough with a 30 man roster and the full consequences of that.

Hopefully they wise up with this situation.
Pay has a massive opinion of him and he can do no wrong in his eyes. I have already resigned myself to the fact he’s getting offered a new deal here. Hopefully his ego gets in the way and he signs somewhere else.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Elliott is great off the bench and loves the club the issue was when pay started him keep him off the bench pay ffs

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It seems like Hill was being a bit evasive about everything except being keen to extend Jackson's contract. He didn't directly say we're chasing Fifita, just that we're interested in players of his quality. More directly that it would require that potential recruits would be a good fit for the club and that we'd be linked to every high profile player because we've demonstrated that we have cap space cleared for 2021.

What was present in the article was a statement from Fifita's management signalling that Fifita has many clubs interested.

So I really don't know how much credit we can apply to this article being a statement of intent from the club about wanting Fifita here. Beware of getting your hopes up. The writer would have used any direct quote if one was made.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It seems like Hill was being a bit evasive about everything except being keen to extend Jackson's contract. He didn't directly say we're chasing Fifita, just that we're interested in players of his quality. More directly that it would require that potential recruits would be a good fit for the club and that we'd be linked to every high profile player because we've demonstrated that we have cap space cleared for 2021.

What was present in the article was a statement from Fifita's management signalling that Fifita has many clubs interested.

So I really don't know how much credit we can apply to this article being a statement of intent from the club about wanting Fifita here. Beware of getting your hopes up. The writer would have used any direct quote if one was made.
I think Hilly being evasive is good.
Why show your hand?
If we seem too keen too soon, his price just keeps rising.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we're after another 2 forwards (Fifita and Thompson). Can we chase some gamebreaking backs FFS ? If we get another forward or 2 surely Elliott is surplus to our needs. Seems like Elliott is kind of threatening if Jackson isn't with us he might look elsewhere. Does he seriously think any club is really keen on him. If there is then I'd be very surprised and good luck to him. We shouldn't be matching any decent offer and definitely not pay overs. In fact he could already be on overs considering the Eels interest last time he negotiated. If so we should be looking to downgrade him and if he's not happy then sorry, see you later.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So we're after another 2 forwards (Fifita and Thompson). Can we chase some gamebreaking backs FFS ? If we get another forward or 2 surely Elliott is surplus to our needs. Seems like Elliott is kind of threatening if Jackson isn't with us he might look elsewhere. Does he seriously think any club is really keen on him. If there is then I'd be very surprised and good luck to him. We shouldn't be matching any decent offer and definitely not pay overs. In fact he could already be on overs considering the Eels interest last time he negotiated. If so we should be looking to downgrade him and if he's not happy then sorry, see you later.
Really don't think we're after Fifta if I'm honest. Suits the club to have it out there as it then looks 'good' to supporters that we're chasing the best of the best. We sign on Jacko and it'll finally put the Fifta thing to bed imo.

Agree that we need some backs though. Crying out for them. But who? Mitchell? Shown his colours and is well and truly getting shunted now.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We're going to re-sign Jackson on 800k a season, and Elliott on 450k a season and not sign Fifita. The end.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Seriously, don't waste your time trying to sign Fifita.

He isn't leaving Brisbane.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We're going to re-sign Jackson on 800k a season, and Elliott on 450k a season and not sign Fifita. The end.
Elliot on $450k is a disaster...uck him off and upgrade one of the promising juniors for half that money...

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great to see Adam still seeing us as an option despite the avalanche of huge offers being thrown at him.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great to see Adam still seeing us as an option despite the avalanche of huge offers being thrown at him.

word is that Roosters were considering making an offer but realised it could be the one that brought the sombrero undone

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This Adam Elliot is completely delusional about his worth. Well and truly surplus to needs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fifita isn't leaving. Especially not for us. Thompson will probably end up at Souths if they miss out on Arrow.

Re-signing Elliott would be a terrible decision. At this rate I can see the club re-signing everyone from our immortal 11th placed squad for 2021 with a few underwhelming signings sprinkled in... Soon there'll be barely any cap space left anyway.