Bulldogs youngster Brandon Wakeham benefiting from cross-code sessions with GWS Giants

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Canterbury have enlisted the help of AFL side the GWS Giants in a bid to improve their kicking game in 2020 following the horror injury to Kieran Foran.

The Bulldogs’ big-money half went down with a shoulder injury a Kiwis Test match with Great Britain.

And it has meant Dogs coach Dean Pay must turn to a set of relatively inexperienced halves – Jack Cogger (37 NRL games), Lachlan Lewis (24) and Brandon Wakeham (3) – to take Canterbury’s two playmaking spots.

Wakeham, who only made his debut in a Round 15 win against Cronulla, says he has found the cross-code sessions with GWS beneficial as Canterbury aim to improve on last season’s 12th-placed finish.

“The kickers, the halves and hookers and the outside backs go out to GWS once a week, or one of the coaches comes here and helps us with our kicking and catching,” Wakeham revealed to foxsports.com.au

“I’ve only been back for three weeks and you can see with the boys who have been there a while, the kicking is starting to improve.

“It hasn’t been a massive improvement so far, but we’ve been seeing subtle changes on our techniques and stuff.

“And it’s good to have someone who comes in and teaches you something different.”

Wakeham, 20, starred in the end-of-season Tests for Fiji, helping the Bati to see off Samoa and Papua New Guinea in the Oceania Cup.

And after cementing himself as Fiji’s No. 7, he wants to carry that form into Bulldogs colours in 2020.

“I want to push for a starting spot come Round 1,” Wakeham stated.

“There’s three halves now, there’s Jack, Lachie and myself battling it out for those two spots one of us is going to have to miss out. I really want to start a lot of games in the top grade.

“I hate seeing anyone get injured, let alone Kieran and what he’s been through. But for me, it’s a step closer to playing NRL a bit more this year.

“It’s not good seeing that. Kieran’s an experienced and big-game player that we’ll need given we have a young squad and young spine. I’m sure in training he’ll tip us as we go.

“Kieran and Johnathan Thurston were two of the guys I tried to base my game around [growing up].

“Thurston competed on every play and doesn’t give up.

“And Kieran, I love how straight and direct he plays at the line. I try to bring some of that into my game, he gets whacked by the big boys but that frees us up out way.”

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good too hear, the more experience the better , this young guy could be a massive talent one day and Can’t wait too see the potential in FG this year..!!! Love his enthusiasm also, thanks for the post junkyard.

bring on 2020!! :grinning:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
About time, but at least we finally got there :tearsofjoy:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
But GWS lost the GF... the club, the coaching staff have NO IDEA!! OK, I'll stop pretending to be a bleater now...sorry :-)

Good stuff - if AFL can teach our halves one thing well it's distance and accuracy in kicking - good to see Deano open up this opportunity along with Shifty and anything else that gets our young fellas confidence up before Round 1.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Wakeham needs to start the season if we're serious about keeping him. He wants and needs to be playing NRL. Otherwise we'll lose him.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Wakeham needs to start the season if we're serious about keeping him. He wants and needs to be playing NRL. Otherwise we'll lose him.
He's 20 and played 3 NRL games. Yes, he's played for his country too, I know.
I agree he needs to be played in 2020, but I don't think not starting him will mean we'll lose him.
That said I'm not saying don't start him - in pre-season if he proves his case for 1 of the 2 starting spots I'm all for it - I just don't see him not starting as a risk to losing him.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s a shame he’s so small I don’t think we can go with 2 x small halves Wakeham and Cogger. Lewis will need to partner one of them in the half’s.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He's 20 and played 3 NRL games. Yes, he's played for his country too, I know.
I agree he needs to be played in 2020, but I don't think not starting him will mean we'll lose him.
That said I'm not saying don't start him - in pre-season if he proves his case for 1 of the 2 starting spots I'm all for it - I just don't see him not starting as a risk to losing him.
Last year contracted. If an opportunity opens up elsewhere he'd be silly not to entertain it. If he had another year after 2020 I think we'd have enough time to wait for an issue in our Halves where he can get a crack (sort of like last year). I just don't see him re-signing if he's not playing.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Last year contracted. If an opportunity opens up elsewhere he'd be silly not to entertain it. If he had another year after 2020 I think we'd have enough time to wait for an issue in our Halves where he can get a crack. I just don't see him re-signing if he's not playing.
Sure, but I’d say the club are well aware of this and similar to Jacko likely have some sort of agreement as to when they’ll work something out. I’m sure it’s not the case that they’ve said nothing to him or his manager, that they’re giving the impression they don’t care. He seems focussed on winning a spot for 2020 and that’s probably all he needs to worry about for now.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like young Wakeham he has the world at his feet
From what I have seen there has been glimpses of brilliance and he is not afraid to take on the defensive line or take a chance.
The confidence he has plus vision for reading plays could make him a potential future champion,we can only hope
I know he won’t start in the top team next year but hope at some point gets a chance along with a few other youths

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Last year contracted. If an opportunity opens up elsewhere he'd be silly not to entertain it. If he had another year after 2020 I think we'd have enough time to wait for an issue in our Halves where he can get a crack (sort of like last year). I just don't see him re-signing if he's not playing.
We need to be very very careful with him. He is an International now so every team is looking and he won't be content to sit behind a less talented Lewis and Cogger (IMO).

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He is a local junior, identified at a young age, has been given special training and community activity, is a likeable young bloke and quick to learn.

Of course we will lose him.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We have been doing the gws cross code training sessions since the keating, Reynolds, hodkinson days.

Pretty sure there is an article every year that says how much techniques they learnt etc.

Pretty sure shirvington is due an article in January to say how he is impressed with hoppas speed and he has gained an extra half a yard or something :p

Truth be told we need help with our kicking. But honestly I think sherwin would help way more. Fair enough to get your mechanics right for higher/longer kicks. But shifty can teach you game situations too.

Fingers crossed one of our halves steps up with forans injury.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wakeham has x factor pay needs to grow a set and start with him but pay will go safety first pick cogger and wait till weve lost 7/8 games then pick brandon

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Wakeham has x factor pay needs to grow a set and start with him but pay will go safety first pick cogger and wait till weve lost 7/8 games then pick brandon
That's my fear too.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I’d like to see our wingers working with GWS also, the ability to catch cross-field kicks “AFL style” is becoming more critical...even to bat the ball back down and also body positioning.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’d like to see our wingers working with GWS also, the ability to catch cross-field kicks “AFL style” is becoming more critical...even to bat the ball back down and also body positioning.
It’s going to be even more important next season now you can’t tackle in the air as a defender. Reimis is deadly in the air but we never kick to him.