News Canterbury rookie Dean Britt following dad Darren’s path at the Bulldogs

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Plain and simple .

If you give Ogden Tualau and Toomaga as much game time, and opportunity as that shit kicker Elliott has had then these guys could have been anything and we would have a giant forward pack like the Broncos

But when we have Elliot Sue Britt Smith all taking up positions in the 17 then we are fucked..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I too questioned some selections in 2019, but I can't believe Deano picks on personality and I don't buy into the 'pets' theory.
Any NRL coach has a limited life span if they don't start getting results reasonably quickly.
In Deano's case I think the club gave him extra time whilst they built the ladder out of our hole - hence the one year extension for 2020.
2018 was so disruptive I don't think we even count it.
2019 was a minor improvement given the amount of experience that left the previous year. We finished one game out of finals contention and frustratingly dropped at least two games we should've won.
I'm not suggesting we're going Top 4 in 2020, but in his third year, with most of the crap behind us, with more experience in the squad, there has to be forward momentum and if that's not on show in the first 8 games or so...reasonable suggestion as to what might happen for 2021.
So I think he's smart enough to know he needs results - and that means picking the strongest team he's got every week, regardless of his alleged 'pets'.
You'd hope so. Jury's still out and he has 2020 to prove he's got what it takes. You assume he had majority say on Britt, Katoa and Stimson so needs to own that recruitment.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Plain and simple .

If you give Ogden Tualau and Toomaga as much game time, and opportunity as that shit kicker Elliott has had then these guys could have been anything and we would have a giant forward pack like the Broncos

But when we have Elliot Sue Britt Smith all taking up positions in the 17 then we are fucked..
I tend to agree. Those guys have far more agility and ball playing traits and bigger bodies than those you list.

The key is to get them consistent and playing to their potential. It's a fail if we don't.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nothing to do with bagging....it's about getting the best out of them while they're developing and showing promise. Ogden is going the same way. He was a hero on here 2 seasons back. Now...

I'm disappointed we aren't bringing these guys on. They clearly have the ability and lost it through lack of opportunity, confidence, not a pet, who knows.

It's a waste for the club. We're not the only club this happens at...but I only care about this club.
I hear what your saying, but the fact that tualau is seemingly without a club right now, I dont think that it has anything to do with bad coaching, or not being given a decent chance, or anything else. He just didn't cut it in fg.
You also need to consider that some players just dont have enough desire to do everything humanly possible to succeed in fg. Even the most naturally gifted players still have to pit in the hard yards. So if you are average, then you need to absolutely work your arse off!! It appears that he didn't.
As for Ogden, well he only played few games last year, and then a few more this year where he actually seemed to be coming good in fg. Time will tell, but I think he has a future.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I hear what your saying, but the fact that tualau is seemingly without a club right now, I dont think that it has anything to do with bad coaching, or not being given a decent chance, or anything else. He just didn't cut it in fg.
You also need to consider that some players just dont have enough desire to do everything humanly possible to succeed in fg. Even the most naturally gifted players still have to pit in the hard yards. So if you are average, then you need to absolutely work your arse off!! It appears that he didn't.
As for Ogden, well he only played few games last year, and then a few more this year where he actually seemed to be coming good in fg. Time will tell, but I think he has a future.
Makes sense what you're saying. I can't help thinking they didn't get as good a go as others....just semed like that. Taulua has gone to a Brisbane feeder club I believe. All things being equal if Pay doesn't favour plodders over runners, tackle busters, I won't be having a whinge.