News Bulldogs in hunt for Fifita but Broncos in box seat

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I hear ya, but I think 3 years too long.
He'll be 30 when he starts any new contract in 2021 - and as you pointed out, injuries are starting to bite.
2 years tops, so can maybe bump his bucks a little higher for a shorter stint. Plus won't we get some cost relief for him given 2021 would be his 10th year?
Great servant, hope he stays a one club man - would love to see him win a comp before he retires.
Grudgingly admit you got this one right :grinning:

I was thinkin' prob 2 years but thought I'd get shot down in flames lol. It does seem disloyal to JJ but when you're running a team that's talent challenged, you gotta be ruthless when trying to improve and add talent.

If ever a player deserved a premiership, it's Josh.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Grudgingly admit you got this one right :grinning:

I was thinkin' prob 2 years but thought I'd get shot down in flames lol. It does seem disloyal to JJ but when you're running a team that's talent challenged, you gotta be ruthless when trying to improve and add talent.

If ever a player deserved a premiership, it's Josh.
That must've hurt @wendog33 ;-)

Managing the roster has always been tough, especially when you've got long term and/or one club players to gracefully exit.
That's why it's so crucial and as much as I hate to say it, why clubs like the Storm and Chooks are pretty damn good at it.
J-Moz was another recent one for us - club offered 1 year, he wanted 2 - lucky for him he got them at the Sharks - but I think the club made the right call, regardless of cap issues - they can't stay forever.
I'd hope that among the lessons learned in the cap farce were not just how much contracts are worth but how the roster is optimally managed for entry and exit of players. We know where mis-management of that got us.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
That must've hurt @wendog33 ;-)

Managing the roster has always been tough, especially when you've got long term and/or one club players to gracefully exit.
That's why it's so crucial and as much as I hate to say it, why clubs like the Storm and Chooks are pretty damn good at it.
J-Moz was another recent one for us - club offered 1 year, he wanted 2 - lucky for him he got them at the Sharks - but I think the club made the right call, regardless of cap issues - they can't stay forever.
I'd hope that among the lessons learned in the cap farce were not just how much contracts are worth but how the roster is optimally managed for entry and exit of players. We know where mis-management of that got us.
Didn't hurt that much lol. Always been keen to listen and discuss when it's not insults and bullying when making points :grinning:

Agree with the overall theory they have in place. C Anderson said they have determined the monetary value for every spot in the team. Just need to be flexible if outstanding players come up in positions where we are lacking.

Strange one JMoz. I can understand him wanting 2 years but wasnt our offer higher anyway? He had a reasonably good year with Sharks but they are reportedly shopping him, or were amongst others, for Ramien.

What 2020 holds for him is very unclear with Xerrie, Ramien, Duggan, that winger guy, plus Katoa. (How do they do it btw,)

He could have stayed on one year with better money with us. Backed himself to have a great year and get a 1 year extension. But didn't choose to fo that.

Some saying there where other factors so you tend to agree with that.

I would have liked him to stay.

Apart from CHN, DWZ, Bupa he has been the only real decent signing (at the time) we've had for 10 years....I dont count BMoz cos Josh got him here.

Or have I forgotten anyone?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hate the idea of giving your edge forwards a break and disturbing your defensive structures tbh.. The beauty with having Elliot and Jacko rotating at lock is they both give you plenty of impact in shorter stints whilst keeping the team settled.

Jacko's going onto 29... This is probably his last contract at the dogs so im guessing he wants a minimum 3-4.

Doorey is next in line and he might get a run in 1st grade this yr. Then we have Pitova and Topine a couple of years later.. All future backrowers and leaders that we will find hard to hold onto which is why we need all the cap space we can get our hands on. @Spoonman84 will fill you in if his available for comment.
Nothing more to add really Doorey, Pitovao and Topine are all potential first graders. Chris Patalo is another roughie that could surprise. I’d be surprised if Doorey doesn’t play NRL in 2020.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Didn't hurt that much lol. Always been keen to listen and discuss when it's not insults and bullying when making points :grinning:

Agree with the overall theory they have in place. C Anderson said they have determined the monetary value for every spot in the team. Just need to be flexible if outstanding players come up in positions where we are lacking.

Strange one JMoz. I can understand him wanting 2 years but wasnt our offer higher anyway? He had a reasonably good year with Sharks but they are reportedly shopping him, or were amongst others, for Ramien.

What 2020 holds for him is very unclear with Xerrie, Ramien, Duggan, that winger guy, plus Katoa. (How do they do it btw,)

He could have stayed on one year with better money with us. Backed himself to have a great year and get a 1 year extension. But didn't choose to fo that.

Some saying there where other factors so you tend to agree with that.

I would have liked him to stay.

Apart from CHN, DWZ, Bupa he has been the only real decent signing (at the time) we've had for 10 years....I dont count BMoz cos Josh got him here.

I'd agree that having J-Moz in 2019 would've helped - that leaky defence that cost us so badly probably wouldn't have been an issue with him there plus his overall experience to help the younger fellas would've been great. But...

Probably have to include Mick Ennis in that group of good signings in the last 10 years. He's another that could've had 1 or 2 more years with us - but - we got Liccha. Ugh.

Ben Hannant wasn't too bad either but he got homesick and threw his toys out of the cot. We didn't have too many problems with props post-him - including Bupa.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but I think Frank the Tank was a pretty good signing (2011).
David Stagg (2009)
Ennis the mennis (2009)
Marti Taupau (2010)
Beastwood (2009 and then signed to come back in 2011)
Sam Perret (2012)
Zappy (2010)
Krisnan Inu (2012)
Hodko (2011)
JJ (2010) people forget that we pinched him from the Knights SG Ball team
Curtis Rona (2015)
Hoppa (2016)
Reimis Smith (2016)

I'm sure I've forgotten someone......................maybe even a few.

Go Dogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
David Stagg (2009)
Ennis the mennis (2009)
Marti Taupau (2010)
Sam Perret (2012)
Zappy (2010)
Krisnan Inu (2012)
Hodko (2011)
Curtis Rona (2015)
Hoppa (2016)
Reimis Smith (2016)

Go Dogs
I was a big fan of David Stagg. Pity he wasn't included in the plans of the Despot and went back to Brisneyland.
A shame also about Curtis Rona - wanted to go home to Perth at the time.
Don't disagree with anyone on your list. How quickly we forget with the turnstile that is an NRL roster...

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way too generous. Jacko been an excellent servant to the club but the past 2 seasons has started off very slow and has the recurring shoulder problem now. 2-3 years $500,000 for mine. He has gotten overs for some time and it's now time to pare that back.

Sadly we have a James Graham scenario coming up with Tolman and Jacko, but that's footy. Lifetime jobs at the Dogs as compo.
Jackson has been on $600 a season, which is far from overs given he was an SOO when he signed his last contract. Plenty of others have had their snout in the trough but I don't think Jacko's one of them.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
David Stagg (2009)
Ennis the mennis (2009)
Marti Taupau (2010)
Sam Perret (2012)
Zappy (2010)
Krisnan Inu (2012)
Hodko (2011)
Curtis Rona (2015)
Hoppa (2016)
Reimis Smith (2016)

Go Dogs
Some gooduns there definately but I meant, and didn't explain, already top knotch signings. Not journeyman or good but not elite type players or yet to fully succeed players we brought along.

I only personally count Tank and Hoppa in that category of the point I was trying unsuccessfully trying to make...we don't, or haven't successfully recruited, many elite players.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Jackson has been on $600 a season, which is far from overs given he was an SOO when he signed his last contract. Plenty of others have had their snout in the trough but I don't think Jacko's one of them.
When you compare that to $650k for Napa, it's a bargain.

But I still don't think we should have him on more than $600k. Napa's money is criminal.

Broncs sure have themselves some good buys. Zero Tackle have TPJ on $600k, Haas on $500k.

Finucane on $500k.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
When you compare that to $650k for Napa, it's a bargain.

But I still don't think we should have him on more than $600k. Napa's money is criminal.

Broncs sure have themselves some good buys. Zero Tackle have TPJ on $600k, Haas on $500k.

Finucane on $500k.
How much do we believe ZT though? Same as the Terrorgraph?
ZT has some decent info, but the salary bits don't pass the smell test for me.
There's simply no way any club nor the NRL would release player compensation details to anyone beyond the player and perhaps their manager.
Anything else in my view is speculation.