Official Rabbitohs Welcome NRL’s Decision on Salary Cap (Burgess salary exempt)

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm a bit on the fence about how I feel on this decision. There's a whole can of worms regarding the salary cap that I dislike. Medical retirement is the tip of the iceberg. It annoys me a lot that some clubs can profit in a huge way if they have a club paying a formerly released players wage. I have few issues with the former club having to lose some cap space for buggering up. But it's also allowing a club to pick up talent that theoretically gives them a big advantage. If they're getting a million dollars worth of player but only counting half a million under the cap it's a huge advantage.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone surprised? NRLol playing favourites. Again. Another symptom of using players contract values to distribute talent.

The only fair thing is to chuck out medical retirements. You want to sign someone to a multi-million dollar contract, you take the risk they might get injured.

Tazer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The NRL have basically set a precedent here so will have no grounds to refuse legitimate medical retirements in the future. Thats a good thing in my opinion.....the tricky part is actually convincing someone like Foran to cooperate and call it a day. The guys body is clearly fucked but he seems to be in total denial.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Much like everything the NRL ever do, it was a half arsed, half thought out idea, that was rushed into play because it sounded like a good idea at the time.

I can't recall the last time they made a change that worked for the good of the game.

Totally agree with all of what you said! P.s good to see you back mate!
Cheers mate :grinning: I'll be in and out these days.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/12/06/rabbitohs-welcome-nrls-decision-on-salary-cap/

The South Sydney Rabbitohs welcome the determination from the NRL today that the remainder of Sam Burgess’ contract will be exempt from the Club’s salary cap for 2020 and beyond under PCR Rule 86 (Medical Termination).

The Rabbitohs thank the NRL and its Salary Cap Auditors for its patience throughout the application process. Whilst disappointed that Sam is no longer able to take the field for South Sydney due to injury, the Club looks forward to moving on towards season 2020.
Of course they welcomed this decision. Like any of us are surprised. Stinks to high heaven it's such a rort. Oh well let's announce all of these new rules to take some of the attention away.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't wait to see the reaction when the next club tries this and the NRL says no.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Much like everything the NRL ever do, it was a half arsed, half thought out idea, that was rushed into play because it sounded like a good idea at the time.

I can't recall the last time they made a change that worked for the good of the game.

Cheers mate :grinning: I'll be in and out these days.
In and out how saucy :grinning: Welcome back Mr I