How is our recruitment going

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The Knights have made some great value for money recruitment decisions lately getting Shibasaki, Tuala and Iro.

Can't understand how a team like the Dogs who have publicly acknowledged the need for an outside back, has not been able to land one. Like a lot of people are saying, the club must be putting a heap of faith in Harper and Averillo.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes soooo much faith in Harper he was 5th choice centre and only played one game all year???
And that only came when the centre’s before him all had season ending inj

why couldn’t they sign Kurt capewell
He’s a genuine first grader and 18th man for the maroons and he could’ve nailed down that left centre spot with ease

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Stated before we have problems recruiting name players due to bad word of mouth.Do not expect many wins in the first 6 weeks and then hopefully changes will be made

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Stated before we have problems recruiting name players due to bad word of mouth.Do not expect many wins in the first 6 weeks and then hopefully changes will be made
How's Mark Hughes working out? Any feedback on him?

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Info coming out of belmore is that the door on latrell isn’t completely shut.
If the roosters boot him then that will help immensely
Hopefully that info is coming out of the 7/11..

Toxic.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Overall i give it a C minus

Britt is a waste of money, cap space and most importantly he takes up a spot in the 30 we could have used on Kayne Kalache for Example

Stimson has potential but i don't think he will thrive under Dean Pays coaching.

Katoa could be a freak of a signing or will be a waste. Nothing in between.

Nothing to get excited about at all. All this talk of 2021 and so far we have got Fuck all from the major players available... that should tell u something

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Overall i give it a C minus

Britt is a waste of money, cap space and most importantly he takes up a spot in the 30 we could have used on Kayne Kalache for Example

Stimson has potential but i don't think he will thrive under Dean Pays coaching.

Katoa could be a freak of a signing or will be a waste. Nothing in between.

Nothing to get excited about at all. All this talk of 2021 and so far we have got Fuck all from the major players available... that should tell u something
At this stage I agree. We haven't strengthened the team to the required standard to be up there and didn't recruit backs, and have a surplus of fg mediocre forwards.

Let's hope the coach and roster over achieve and also the recruitment committee can pull something out of a hat....looks like it will take a magician.

Or divine intervention.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Info coming out of belmore is that the door on latrell isn’t completely shut.
If the roosters boot him then that will help immensely
How does roosters booting him out now change things? Is it cause we want him for next season not wait till 2021?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I could wrong but isn't Mark Hughes in charge of youth talent scouting and recruitment ?
Assumed he was involved on a whole of club recruitment basis and on that committee.

People saying there is dysfunction in that committee need to specify who is the problem and not sheet home blame to every member.

Perhaps the mix can't work well together and therefore ineffectual.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How does roosters booting him out now change things? Is it cause we want him for next season not wait till 2021?
Because they’d be willing to chip in a tad just to Fcuk him off their roster
Thought that was pretty obvious info

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Because they’d be willing to chip in a tad just to Fcuk him off their roster
Thought that was pretty obvious info
Yeah that makes sense, sorry @finchie breathing in all the bushfire air this week feeling a bit light headed. I think the struggle we will have to get him is tigers etc will probably pay a little bit more than we would be prepared too...

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Yeah that makes sense, sorry @finchie breathing in all the bushfire air this week feeling a bit light headed. I think the struggle we will have to get him is tigers etc will probably pay a little bit more than we would be prepared too...
Hope you and your family safe mate. Horrible shit going on there.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Hope you and your family safe mate. Horrible shit going on there.
Thanks bro... I’m about 20 mins away from some of the main fires but due to the wind the air quality is rubbish and there is ash everywhere. Need to keep windows etc closed.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It shouldn't be overlooked that players are in general paid monthly (in advance) and with contract dates commencing on 1st November, players under contract will have already been paid (paid tax and spent) 2 months of their 12 month contract value. So the Chooks will have paid Mitchell 2/12th's of his contract already (eg; if his contract is, say, $600k then they will have already paid $100k). It would be most unusual for a contract termination to be back dated, legally it would terminate on the actual signing date. Commonly any new contract starts on the signing date and then terminates on 31st October the following year. So in salary cap terms that's $100k in their cap not in his new club's cap. Even if his new club "repaid" the chooks the $100k it's still included in their cap ie; they paid the player. So the longer his new club stalls signing him the more the chooks pay (in their cap) and the less the new club wears (in their cap).

At the risk of repeating myself, what happens in cash terms is irrelevant to us, we have plenty of cash. It's what's included/excluded from our salary cap that's important.

Go Dogs

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don’t be sorry my friend
Thank Fcuk it’s friday

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Thanks bro... I’m about 20 mins away from some of the main fires but due to the wind the air quality is rubbish and there is ash everywhere. Need to keep windows etc closed.
Thoughts with you and yours and the community bud.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The recruitment drive to date looks to be buy journeyman players that are relatively cheap and hope they come good ie cash cows. The same mentality with re signing players on short term contracts.

Probably looking to jag a ‘name player’ to close out our 30 though more likely we promote a young player

‘Survive till 2021’