How is our recruitment going

willow dogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Tommy Talau 19 years old first grade for tigers , Toby saxton we let go a good young half
Younger brother of tiger Luke Garner a big winger / 2nd rower we let go was well
I was looking forward to them playing for the dogs lmao

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tommy Talau 19 years old first grade for tigers , Toby saxton we let go a good young half
Younger brother of tiger Luke Garner a big winger / 2nd rower we let go was well
That isn't recruitment, it's retention. And you can't keep everyone. Our recruitment this year has been moderately good. Dylan Napa joining us had plenty of people thinking we'd have an enforcer (hasn't worked out that way so much), DWZ has been great. Aside from them the rest of our recruitment drive will be judged next season. Talau had promise from what I read. But whether he fulfills it is yet to be seen.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If only we could keep every kid who will turn out to be a star. You don’t even know if these guys will even be rep players yet

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I thought talaus name alone would have let us persist with him. But instead we bring back a 25 year old Britt instead :p

Feels like Hasler is still signing off on recruitment :p lol

Jokes.

But I agree with the others who said you can’t keep them all. I guess if we did have more of these younger players around though we wouldn’t be over paying to recruit c grade talent.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I thought talaus name alone would have let us persist with him. But instead we bring back a 25 year old Britt instead :p

Jokes.

But I agree with the others who said you can’t keep them all. I guess if we did have more of these younger players around though we wouldn’t be over paying to recruit c grade talent.
Britt is a good signing.
He is starting to hit his straps and like his old man is a great bloke. He will be good to have at the club.

Young Taulu got a better offer from the Tigers.
As you said " you can't keep everyone"

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jokes.

I think what you’re describing would be better for our cap too. Having more local juniors on rookie deals must be cheaper than recruiting guys like Holland and Crichton.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can’t keep em all, we got dwz which has been a massive boost, Napa hasn’t been disappointing but will have a great 2020, cogger is Getting better with every game.!! So we have some promise. Just need a couple good signings now.

#payout lol.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
For who's available and the Inclusion of DWZ I think they've done quite well.

CHN, DWZ going great, Cogger keeps on improving as is Meaney. Napa started the year well I thought, then the injury seemed to halt his season.Stimson looks like could be a great inclusion, and Britt seems a solid bench/squad player. I honestly thought Crichton would have went a bit better than he's shown but we have time I guess.

Will depend on who is retained at the end of this year and who or if we get anyone else we are currently linked to.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The missing part of the picture is that often enough player managers will be hell bent on getting their players into the NRL ASAP. Getting any team to start paying them above the minimum NRL salary is a big financial boost for a manager and they're pretty smart about talking youngsters into moving clubs. So retaining Talau may have been a tough choice between putting someone like Harper into one of the development slots or Talau into the same slot. I'm sure that plenty of people would be screaming last year if we'd allowed Harper to move on and kept Talau. Harper hasn't made the necessary improvement to demand another promotion, but supposedly his ceiling is higher in terms of talent. It may take a year or two to judge if we made the right decision on this particular retention choice.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Recent story On recruitment a current player manager had a few players that they could shuffle around between clubs..

They werent sure who to contact at our club so had to contact the CEO about it..

Things arent settled in our recruitment department, and for the record the 4 FG players involved were all passed on by our club 3 have ageed to move from their current clubs and the 4th is finalising the deal with a new club..

Just some news..

Juicydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Recent story On recruitment a current player manager had a few players that they could shuffle around between clubs..

They werent sure who to contact at our club so had to contact the CEO about it..

Things arent settled in our recruitment department, and for the record the 4 FG players involved were all passed on by our club 3 have ageed to move from their current clubs and the 4th is finalising the deal with a new club..

Just some news..
Nothing better than a shit stirrer talking in riddles

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not going to well if you ask me but I could be wrong
I love the dwz signing but that’s where the positivity ends with me

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Not going to well if you ask me but I could be wrong
I love the dwz signing but that’s where the positivity ends with me
We also need to remember he was a mid season signing. The two other clubs that wanted him one couldn't move a player on and the other only had a Centre position. Considering our situation I think the recruitment they did pre Nov 2019 was fine. It just needs to be better for 2021 (window almost over)/22.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Currently it's ok. Nothing absolutely brilliant, just solid so far when you balance it all out. And that ok for me.

However, if we're in the same position when it come to the start of the season I'll be asking questions

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
don't underestimate Stimson and Britt for next year.. they might not be marquee signings, but both did good things this season.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ive been a big critic of the club’s recruitment but those 2 aint anything special

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ive been a big critic of the club’s recruitment but those 2 aint anything special
not yet they aren't but they haven't exactly been around all that long.. Just about all of our recruits from last year played well, or improved... I expect the same of Britt and Stimson

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
not yet they aren't but they haven't exactly been around all that long.. Just about all of our recruits from last year played well, or improved... I expect the same of Britt and Stimson
Crichton was woeful.
Sue was bog average.
Cogger and Meaney where passes based on potential but hardly good.
Chn was dropped but in my opinion a good recruit.
Napa was average at best overall (some good some shit).

Wouldn’t exactly agree.

Don’t get me wrong I actually liked what i saw of Britt at bunnies but he’s no game breaker.

Stimson ditto.

Our issue is still backline is fucked and unless Renouf kicks on we don’t have that big explosive game breaking forward.

Rfm and Chn can play a role but we lack strike.

Hopefully Harper or this avalaro or whatever lives up to the hype. If holland and montoya are once again in first grade it’s a failure of recruitment. Plain and simple.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree i think stimson will be very good

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Up to shit to put it nicely. After all the positions where weak in, we bring in 2 more backrowers.
They must have some faith in these young centres.
Well fucking play them. We will roll out the same shit as early last season just based on selections